• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show

spooner

master brummie
Anyone know when and where Buffalo Bill's second show was held in Birmingham? I know that it was in the very early 20th century. (The first show was in the 1880's.The thread on Bingley Hall made me wonder if it was there.
My grandad told me that his mom took him to see the show when he was a boy.

A very quick reply.......Aston Lower Grounds......before Villa Park was built there...!

My Great Grandfather was in the show as I did a write up in Carl Chinns 'Brummagem' Issue No79 Oct 2007, page 5.
I was told Aston, one of the Indian Cheifs wives was having a baby and the baby was named after Perry Barr, as my Great Grandfather Harry Berrow toured with them.

My Great Grandfather was in the show as I did a write up in Carl Chinns 'Brummagem' Issue No79 Oct 2007, page 5.
I was told Aston, one of the Indian Cheifs wives was having a baby and the baby was named after Perry Barr, as my Great Grandfather Harry Berrow toured with them.

Hi - saw this as I am carrying out some research on BB. The story is that the wife of Luther Standing Bear had a daughter in June 1903 while the show was in Birmingham. In his autobiography. 'My People the Sioux' Luther wrote that she was to be named Alexandra Birmingham Cody Standing Bear. However, the birth register does not list that name, only Alexandra Pearl Standing Bear. I am not sure why there is this discrepancy, and as the child died young there is no other official record of the name. But then, I haven't seen the full certificate.

The third & last tour started in Stoke on Trent on April 25 after which the exhibition travelled throughout the West of England and Wales before returning to London before making the journey up to Scotland to open in Glasgow on the 1st of August, no other showman had gone on tour on such a scale and it has not been attempted by any showman before or after. Len.

My great great grandmother often rented out rooms at their house on George Road Erdington and according to a family story they housed some of Buffalo Bills Troupe when they visited

My mom saw him when he came. I believe his troup rode down Wheeler Street but I may remember what my mom told me incorrectly

I've read somewhere that one of the claims to fame for the original Rose and Crown pub in Rubery was that Buffalo Bill stayed there when his show visited the the Bromsgrove area - it might just be an old wives tale - anyone got any firm evidence?

Peter remembers the visit and said he was at the old dog track. I can't remember though but Pete just said it could have been or the speedway track?. Jean.

There is a lengthy article in the Birmingham Daily post dated 5th Sep 1891, saying that Buffalo Bill comes to B'ham for the second time, after 4 years ago.

The article says that at the time the first visit the celebrity may have been given skilful advertising, but this time describes that in January of this year his experienced services were called upon to quell the Indian Rising at Pine Ridge.

The article goes on, at length describe the Indian situation.

(Unable to copy the article, noticed while on the National Archives Newspaper site, due to their copyright rules, but you can obtain it if you buy credits!)

All the best Peter

hi what i can tell you that my inlaws are from the stream of old buffalo bill;himself ;there oldest member whom is in his ninetys
lives in a little out side village in naice southeren ireland and his name his jim coady my wifes uncle and her mothers last serving brother
whom as out lived them all of his family my wife as a p[icture og them sitting on a old orinional caravan
ther smoking a clay pipesitting on the caravan steps uncle jim is fit and he as never put a coat of paint norwall paper of his house from the day he was born ;
and still cooks on the fire range from the year dot ;
some of the sisters of my wife will not go near his house for the crepinest of it he his a recluse ;
my wife and myself go twice a year to se him ; great bloke he as signed his house over to his neice jenny also in ireland ;
best wishes Astonian ;;;

Yes, it's New Street. I recognize Cornish Books in the Birmingham Post and Mail Building at that time. Wonderful photo Maris. Thanks for posting it.

On the corner of Corporation Street? Thats awesome, Im going to print that photo and take it with me to brum next time I go.

Maris, brilliant photo - thanks for sharing that with us. Here is the modern view from google street view - although the Jane Norman shop is now Lloyds TSB bank.

Attachments

• new_st.JPG
    new_st.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 33
Here is an advert from the Birmingham Daily Post Wednesday 9th September 1891 for the show at Aston Lower Grounds

Attachments

• bb_wed_9_sept_1891.JPG
    bb_wed_9_sept_1891.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 44
  • bb_wed_9_sept_1891contd.JPG
    bb_wed_9_sept_1891contd.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 38
I discovered this photograph of Native Americans in a muddy Perry Barr as part of Buffalo Bill’s Wild West show from 1903.

31416794_2024923284187760_4803456999683522560_n.jpg

A mini camp for the 1905 Buffalo Bill Wild West Show. I wondered if the camp was at Aston Grounds. Juggins was the photographer. Viv33FC348D-E697-4EC7-88F4-AAA80DF3A0E4.jpeg
9A25A324-539C-4DD0-9960-93B3DBB948DA.jpeg
source: British Newspaper Archive

I do remember this but was more interested in giving birth to our twin sons. Will ask my niece and nephew if they remember this event.

The photo in Mike’s post #21 was taken here. The promotional display/procession must have been turning into Corporation Street. Viv.

955D09F6-F8D3-4159-9BC9-C9038966D4E3.jpeg

So it was a procession to promote the show. What a sight that would have been! Viv.

I remember going to the Perry Barr dog track (I think it was) about 1948 with my uncle to see an American Wild West show which I thought was connected to Wild Bill Hickock in some way. My only memory of the show is a team of 'cowboys', each of them standing on horseback .... some single and some doubles between three horses with lassoos.

Back