• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"Buddy Padmore"

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
"Buddy Padmore" was the brother of cousin Beatties husband Bob. He served on the HMS Ocean during world war two just off Malta. Bob was told that he had been killed and presumed it was during the conflict. On a visit to gozo with mom we visited the war museum to try and find his grave. Nothing turned up until a couple of days before we were due to leave. The Commissionare for war graves contacted us saying he had died a day after the war ended. An awful accident on board his ship [an explosion] that killed him. That is why he was not listed as those fallen during the war. Mom caught the ferry to Malta where there was someone to meet her and take her to his grave. It was during the hours where the cemetary was closed but they opened up specially for mom to lay some flowers and take photographs. RIP.

Gee Jean :) A lovely,,, but sad,:(, & very proud Posting :)

Thank you & Family for sharing this with us on site,,,
My respect & admiration for "Buddy Padmore" & his pals to whom We owe so much,, JohnY:cool:

I echo John's words, a sad but lovely story such a happy young man he was too - another tragedy of war.

'Where have all the soldiers gone?
Long time passing
Where have all the soldiers gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the soldiers gone?
Gone to graveyards every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?' . . . Pete Seeger

Nas he was entered in a roll of honour but we were looking in the wrong section. He was registered as dying while on duty after the war. I will try and find his grave out and post it on the site. I have so many pictures to go through still. Jean.

Couldn't settle this afternoon until I found this letter which is self explanitary and the Wedding of Buddy's brother Bob to Beat dated the 22nd of the seventh 1947. I can see the likeness of the two. TTFN. Jean.

Forgot to say my cousin Beaty overcame her cancer and they were given the ok to travel the next year. They had a wonderful time and paid their own respects. Jean.

Thanks for that Johny Beryl and Nas. Bob himself died a few years ago but to have made someone that happy I am proud of what mom did. But then again I wouldn't have expected anything else. Jean.

What a lovely lady your mom was Jean. A sad and poignant story of a young man who you have kept alive with your thoughts of him.

Lost tough with cousin Beaty when mom died eight years ago. from the address on the letter and date on their wedding photo find out if she is still alive. She is not on the old number but she had a guest house and it may have become too much for her. Thanks. Jean.

Have found out since I started this thread of the death of my cousin Beattie. It was once again through someones research on the forum. Jean.

"Buddy Padmore" was the brother of cousin Beatties husband Bob. He served on the HMS Ocean during world war two just off Malta. Bob was told that he had been killed and presumed it was during the conflict. On a visit to gozo with mom we visited the war museum to try and find his grave. Nothing turned up until a couple of days before we were due to leave. The Commissionare for war graves contacted us saying he had died a day after the war ended. An awful accident on board his ship [an explosion] that killed him. That is why he was not listed as those fallen during the war. Mom caught the ferry to Malta where there was someone to meet her and take her to his grave. It was during the hours where the cemetary was closed but they opened up specially for mom to lay some flowers and take photographs. RIP.

Jean,

I have sent you a personal message.
Regards,
Darby.

Thank you for the link went straight onto it and his death is registerd as you said and the second one down. Thanks again. Jean.

Jean,

" Buddy's " official number was SFX 789898 he was an Electrical Artificer ( Air ) known in the Navy/Fleet Air Arm as " Tiffy's ".

HMS Ocean was a Light Fleet Carrier used along with HMS Theseus in the 50s for training New Entrants.

Attached is a photo of the Theseus, Ocean would have been identical.

Darby mom found out that he was killed on the deck of the ship by an explosion and it was just an awful accident. How unfortunate after serving during the war and that happens. Thanks for the picture. Jean.

Jean

It puzzles me as to why 'Buddy' was not recorded on the CWGC website, irrespective that his death was the day after the war ended. I had a 17 year old cousin boy sailor who died as a result of an accident on board HMS Devonshire in October 1940 and his name is on the CWGC website and also on the Naval Memorial on Plymouth Hoe. His 18 year old brother was killed in June 1940 when his ship HMS Glorious was sunk by the 'Scharnhorst' and his name is recorded in a similar manner. My poor Aunty Bess in Plymouth...... losing two boys in so short a space of time, only to lose her youngest brother in the bombing of Birmingham in May 1941.

I know of an instance when a civilian in Birmingham died in 1947 as a result of injuries sustained during the war and he is recorded on the CWGC site. It seems so unfair that your relative's name was not recorded in the same way.

Junie

I have found out the exact date of his death thanks to Darby and it was sometime after the war ended. The way we were told it was as though it was just after the war ended. All I know when we visited the commissioner for war graves 20 years ago he was not listed in the war dead books of rememberance but thanks to his help he found just where his grave was before we came home and mom went to lay some flowers. I just can't find the photograph of his grave but I'm sure mom sent them to Bob and Beattie. Thanks. Jean.

Jean

It puzzles me as to why 'Buddy' was not recorded on the CWGC website, irrespective that his death was the day after the war ended. I had a 17 year old cousin boy sailor who died as a result of an accident on board HMS Devonshire in October 1940 and his name is on the CWGC website and also on the Naval Memorial on Plymouth Hoe. His 18 year old brother was killed in June 1940 when his ship HMS Glorious was sunk by the 'Scharnhorst' and his name is recorded in a similar manner. My poor Aunty Bess in Plymouth...... losing two boys in so short a space of time, only to lose her youngest brother in the bombing of Birmingham in May 1941.

I know of an instance when a civilian in Birmingham died in 1947 as a result of injuries sustained during the war and he is recorded on the CWGC site. It seems so unfair that your relative's name was not recorded in the same way.

Junie
Since I wrote these comments my second cousin has done some fantastic research and I will be posting the most amazing photo's of the ship the funeral and the grave. Also letters that are quite upsetting when reading them.

Wonderful Jean, very sad and it really brings it all home to us even after all these years.
Lynn.

Back