• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Buddy Holly & the Crickets

Goffy

master brummie
Went to see Buddy Holly at the Town Hall, must have been around 1957,
it was a great show, I can't remember who were on with them, did anyone else go to that venue.
sadly, whilst I was in hospital having my tonsils out, Buddy Holly died, in a helicopter accident, I think it was and a sad loss to all his fans and the record industry alike.

Buddy Holly died in a light aircraft crash....not a helicopter!!!! Big Bopper (J.P.Richardson) and Ritchie Valens were also in the crash.......Des O' Connor was the compare or M.C. that introduced the group.

me too I went to see BUDDY & still have the programme in the loft but where?
If I ever find will post.

This is a flyer advertising the last show Buddy, The Big Bopper and Ricky Valance did, it was after this show that the light aircraft went down killing them all.

Ricky Valance was a Welshman.and sang Tell Laura I love Her in 1960's........& is still alive today................................!!!!!!

The one in the Buddy Holly plane crash....... was Ritchie Valens South American that sang...Donna.....and La Bamba

Thanks Mike, I should have remembered it was not a helicopter, yes I remember the Big Bopper & Richie Valens. I was only fifteen then but Buddy must have been one of my favourites. I still have several of his records mostly on 78, it took a long time to convince me that the 45rpm format was the modern way and was going to last ! Goffy

I was only 15 at the time but Buddy Holly was a great loss to the world. They say that one of my favourite singers, Don McClean, wrote his most famous song as a tribute to Buddy Holly 10 years after his death. Whatever this clip from YouTube is a fantastic tribute to Buddy Holly and in my opinion the best clip ever on YouTube, please take a few minutes of your time to watch and enjoy.

Graham.
[ame="https://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZFiMo8TIc"]YouTube - Don McLean - The meaning of American Pie (UPDATE)[/ame]​

you guys pulling these clips of you tube have a great nack for getting it just right for our era.
THANK ALL

Graham what is Don McLean doing on one of Robert Zimmerman's LP covers:DMau-reece

Graham what is Don McLean doing on one of Robert Zimmerman's LP covers:DMau-reece

Mossy I don't quite know why but I'm not angry about it as I'm an even greater fan of Bob than of Buddy or Don. I guess that the clip maker knows a thing or two about hierarchy! :D

Graham.

Another really fantastic You Tube clip about Buddy Holley (yes with an 'e') and what we were all robbed of on Feb. 3rd 1959.

[ame="https://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=4r4_8pjJPxo"]YouTube - Tommy Allsup tells of the coin flip with Ritchie Valens[/ame]​

Graham.

And everyone can do themselves a bigger favour by buying the DVD...'The Real Buddy Holly Story' which was originally started by the BBC as an 'Arena' programme....but in their infinite wisdom ??? Ahem!!!! sorry about the cough...they let the programme go to USA ....then...Paul MacCartney added much more to it and it sold as a Video and now a DVD..... so now you can all appreciate the life and times of....Charles Hardin Holley.............one of the most fantastic icons of Rock 'N Roll.........

Back