• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Budd Richard (1804-1873)

ryanl

I will be visiting Birmingham in early September and am trying to find any descendants of Richard BUDD and his wife Mary (nee NARBURY 1813-1896). The lived in the Aston area and had 11 children. My husband is descended from the youngest daughter Emily who married Edward William PREES and migrated to Australia in 1879. I have been trying to put together descendants of each of the children so as to make contact with any living relatives.

I have a Richard Budd in my family tree, born 1862 in Birmingham. He married Elizabeth Woodley, a second cousin of my great grandfather, so pretty distant.

A quick look and he appears to be the son of George Budd b1836 and a grandson of Richard.

Richard and Elizabeth had three sons and 2 daughters. Unfortunately, all 3 sons died young but the 2 daughters married. Lilian twice but doesn't appear to have any children. May married a Charles R Palmer in 1916 and had 5 daughters - Doris, Margaret, Olive, Beryl & Pauline.

Thanks for your reply. I had followed George's family and these details correspond with what I have found so that is good to know, as I have accidentally 'adopted' incorrect members, especially when they keep using the same names within the family. Do you know whether any descendants are still living in Birmingham?

I'm sorry I don't, I'm not certain after that.

It appears that Beryl died unmarried and there's a tree on Ancestry that suggests Margaret married a Cyril Thomas and moved to South Wales. There's another tree that suggests that Pauline married a Douglas Brownley.

There are a number of marriages for a Doris M Palmer listed in Bham, can't tell if any of them are the right one but there's only one marriage for an Olive J Palmer in Bham, unfortunately (genealogy-wise) that was to a George Smith.

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I live in Melbourne, Australia. I was searching my father's name "Douglas Brownley" and came across some entries here. Yes May Budd (my grandmother) married Charles R Palmer (my grandfather) in 1916 and had 5 daughters - Doris, Margaret, Olive, Beryl & Pauline. I am the daughter of Pauline (who is now 87 years old) and my name is Susan Bolvary (nee Brownley). We found Margaret's family in Wales. She has passed away but had six children and they had children. We found our long lost many cousins in Wales. Mum (Pauline) married Douglas Brownley (my father who passed away in 2003). They came to Australia in 1958 and I was born in 1959. I have a brother who was born in 1966. My husband and I have a 35 year old daughter Emma. Apparently Beryl passed away in 1952 (I think) from polio. We couldn't locate Olive or Doris. Apparently one of them had two children out of wedlock and the other ran away from home. I hope this helps out.

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I live in Melbourne, Australia. I was searching my father's name "Douglas Brownley" and came across some entries here. Yes May Budd (my grandmother) married Charles R Palmer (my grandfather) in 1916 and had 5 daughters - Doris, Margaret, Olive, Beryl & Pauline. I am the daughter of Pauline (who is now 87 years old) and my name is Susan Bolvary (nee Brownley). We found Margaret's family in Wales. She has passed away but had six children and they had children. We found our long lost many cousins in Wales. Mum (Pauline) married Douglas Brownley (my father who passed away in 2003). They came to Australia in 1958 and I was born in 1959. I have a brother who was born in 1966. My husband and I have a 35 year old daughter Emma. Apparently Beryl passed away in 1952 (I think) from polio. We couldn't locate Olive or Doris. Apparently one of them had two children out of wedlock and the other ran away from home. I hope this helps out.
Hello Sue
I'm sorry I have not replied earlier to this posting - it has been a long time since I checked it. I, too, live in Australia. I think that makes you and my husband (now deceased) 3rd cousins once removed! I have quite a lot of information about the early Budd side of the family if you are interested.

Hello Sue
I'm sorry I have not replied earlier to this posting - it has been a long time since I checked it. I, too, live in Australia. I think that makes you and my husband (now deceased) 3rd cousins once removed! I have quite a lot of information about the early Budd side of the family if you are interested.
Hello, thanks for your reply. Yes I would love some further information if you have. Are you on Ancestry.com? We have our tree on there. I note your husband is descended from Emily Budd and we are descended from her brother George 1837-1907) (then another Richard Budd, then May Budd (my grandmother)). We live in Melbourne, Victoria. Where are you in Australia? So it looks like your husband's side of the family were in Australia before us. I have submitted a DNA sample to Ancestry and am waiting for results. It will be exciting to see what it brings up. My mother Pauline is still alive (now 89) and often still talks about England. We are still also looking for my mother's two sisters' (Doris and Olive) families (if any). The last thing we can find is a newspaper cutting in 1955 for one of them who was sentenced to 6 months' jail for stealing (apparently she said she was trying to get back to Birmingham). I do believe that their mother May was very ill and I'm thinking she wanted to get back home. We have come to a brick wall with Olive.

There's some circumstantial evidence that Olive did marry George C A Smith as previously mentioned.

Olive is still listed with her parents on the 1950 electoral roll at 30 Holte Road but is not there on the 1957 roll - unfortunately not all ERs are on line, so can't check between years.

There is a likely death for the George C A Smith listed in Bournemouth 1981 and there is a death for an Olive Joyce Smith in Bournemouth 1992. The dob is given as 10 Mar 1925 which is a year out but is a mistake I've seen before.

However, being Smith, it is far from certain.

There's some circumstantial evidence that Olive did marry George C A Smith as previously mentioned.

Olive is still listed with her parents on the 1950 electoral roll at 30 Holte Road but is not there on the 1957 roll - unfortunately not all ERs are on line, so can't check between years.

There is a likely death for the George C A Smith listed in Bournemouth 1981 and there is a death for an Olive Joyce Smith in Bournemouth 1992. The dob is given as 10 Mar 1925 which is a year out but is a mistake I've seen before.

However, being Smith, it is far from certain.
Thanks so much for your message. Yes we found her on the electoral roll for 1950 but don't know what happened after that. I think she was the sister that had two children unmarried. As Joyce was her middle name, this is likely her. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I would love to find out if she kept the children, but in those days they could have been adopted out. I do appreciate everyone's help on this forum. My mum Pauline (Olive's sister) is 89 and I would love to find more out more.

Do you happen to know the dob of Olive or Doris?
Hi. Yes I have dob for Olive Joyce Palmer as approx April 1926 (Birmingham North) and for Doris M Palmer as January 1917 (Medway, Kent). We believe that as my grandfather Charles R Palmer was in the military, he moved around and that it why Doris I think was born in Kent. Charles Palmer and May Budd were married in 1916 in Kent. I think Charles was stationed there.

Thanks so much for your message. Yes we found her on the electoral roll for 1950 but don't know what happened after that. I think she was the sister that had two children unmarried. As Joyce was her middle name, this is likely her. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I would love to find out if she kept the children, but in those days they could have been adopted out. I do appreciate everyone's help on this forum. My mum Pauline (Olive's sister) is 89 and I would love to find more out more.
I have found your tree on Ancestry and posted a message there.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look. I also just got my DNA results back from Ancestry. Can't wait to see what they show. As well as the Midlands, I seem to have cousins in the US and Canada.

Back