• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Buckingham Street

These two blokes are shifting things from A to B, possibly awaiting pick-up for delivery. Whatever happened to tea chests? I used to see them in lots of places years ago. In fact, when I was very young I got a Saturday job in a factory that manufactured them. It was a pretty dire job but I earned enough money to buy a few records every week. I see the bloke bending over is recycling what looks like an old ammunition box. He is being watched by another worker having a fag. Nowadays people have to wander off site to a smoking shelter for their nicotine fix. The two men are employees of A. J. Gilbert [Birmingham] Ltd. who were based on the south side of Buckingham Street at No.78. They were in the same street until recently but I think they may have gone now. 'Manufacturers of fabricated metals' is one description I noticed for them but at the time of this photograph [July 1957] it just says Press Workers in the trade directory. Anyway, it is another in my collection of random/obscure images of Birmingham.

Buckingham Street Workers.jpg

Buckingham Street was a practice cricket ground for the Warwickshire County Cricket team. Well, in most youngsters minds when playing in the street. Note the cricket stumps chalked onto the wall - who didn't do this with an old tennis ball in the old days? That old Moggy looks similar to the very first car I bought after passing my driving test. However, it looks in much better condition than the rot-box I paid £50 for. I was able to see the road beneath my feet as the floor had rotted so much it had more holes than my mother's colander. The doorway behind the car led to the workshops of A. H. Smith, a polisher and finisher of metals.

Buckingham Street Cricket Stumps.jpg

Anybody know the make/model of the saloon car in this photograph taken in Buckingham Street? It was an old car by the time of this photograph taken in 1957. It is parked outside the entrance to the offices of John Satchwell & Co. Ltd., a wholesale jewellery business.

Buckingham Street - Satchwell Offices [1957].jpg

This view of Buckingham Street shows what looks like a small shop but I think it is the dining rooms once run by Emily Mead at No.49.

Having found another image of Buckingham Street I now realise that this image is a little further up the hill towards Great Hampton Row. Consequently, this is a small draper's shop that was run by Miss Florence Rosina Smith.

This is the café at No.49 for which Pedrocut supplied a newspaper clipping. The poster advertising Elvis in "Wild In The Country" confirms that this photograph was taken in 1961.

Buckingham Street - Cafe [1961].jpg

just going back to pedros map post 9..the pub you see on the corner of william st north and hospital st is where my dad was born

lyn

S. Court & Co. Ltd. undertook polishing and plating of all metals. They were based in Buckingham Street at the time of this mid-1950s photograph. The company moved to New Summer Street.

Buckingham Street - S. Court & Co.Ltd.jpg

i have a very sketchy one that was in a book Kieron should be on the forum if its any good to you but i would love to find a really decent one
I think I have only seen a line drawing. That in itself may be taken from a photograph. A prominent corner position must have attracted at least one photographer or hawker of postcards. It would be a dream to find an up-close shot and bring it to a social just to see you burst into tears. ;)

Back