• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Buccaneer Chester Road

evergreen

Cradley Heathen
Hi there,

After driving down the Chester Road, I was surprised to see that there are houses built on the site of the Buccaneer Pub.

It's been quite a few years since I was last there. Does anyone know when the pub was demolished?

Many thanks

Heather

Hello Heather your going back a bit but its got to be 10 years ago. or even more. Dek

Hi Dek.

Many thanks for your reply, now that has made me think, as I honestly thought it would have been about 5 years ago, where does the time go?

My Aunt used to live just off Bridle Road, and I spent many happy hours there. We did get told off by the landlord for singing outside, the Beatles 'She loves you' had just come out and not one of us gang of teenage girls could sing in tune.

Regards

Heather

Hi All,

I do not know when the Buccaneer closed but the building that is there now is Hunters Court Retirement Apartments which opened 6 years ago. In fact, I live there myself. I have been told that before it closed the pub had become rather rough and most locals seem glad to have seen the back of it

Old Boy

I'll drink to that, Old Boy. The Buccaneer did get a bit out of order. We used to meet a bunch of friends there most Wednesdays, but the yobs took over. The apartments look pretty damn nice, though.

Big Gee

A big sprawling place, Jean. My wife vaguely knew the last couple who ran it. To give you an idea of what I thought of it, I preferred to walk down to The Old Irish Harp, quite a jaunt from where I live. And The Harp isn't what it used to be.

Big Gee

Think I get the message Big Gee. I wonder if anyone has a photo of it to job my memory?. I imagine there was a big ship involved somewhere?. Jean.

This I remember was a relatively new pub built in the 50s-60s period what i,d like to know is was there an earlier Pub on the site.Dek

This I remember was a relatively new pub built in the 50s-60s period what i,d like to know is was there an earlier Pub on the site.Dek

Hi Dek

Sent an email to my cousin who lived aon the estate behind the pub. below is his reply

The farmhouse that served the farm that Mothers estate was built on was situated roughly
where the pub used to stand. As you are probably aware, the drinker was demolished a few
years back and retirement homes were erected on the site.

Heather thank you for your hard work, funny how little snippets of information jog the memory I do recall a farm on that site now that would be early 50s when I was a mere sapling. Dek:):)

Many years ago my late Wife and I used to visit a garden centre farther up the Chester Rd and always called in the Buccaneer for a drink and something to eat on the way back, seemed quite respectable then.

I loved going to the Buccaneer with Uncle Jack he was so naughty. I bet you all knew the joke about this pub!!

The day the Buccaneer opened all the lads had a bet to who would be first served, I was beaten into third place by George Craddock and Gerald Murphy, we used travel round all the newly built pubs trying to win the bet as there were many being built in and around the Sutton area But I didn't win any of the bets but I had a good time trying.:D:D

Back