• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bsa

Reddi

master brummie
This is a long shot but I will give it a go. On April 8th 1941 a picture appeared in the Birmingham Gazette showing my wife's Uncle, William Saragine. For his actions during the night of Nov.19th 1940 he was awarded the British Empire Medal. William was her Fathers half Brother and served with the 6th Birmingham Battalion Home Guard BSA Guns. Unfortunately Williams siblings and half siblings are all deceased (as far as we know) so locating any photograph of him is proving difficult. If there is anyone out there who has a picture of William, particularly the one that appeared in the paper, we would be grateful if they could share it with us.

I found this bit.
[h=2]Volunteer W. SARAGINE[/h][h=2]British Empire Medal[/h]
bemm.gif
[h=3]6th Birmingham (Factories) Battalion
[Later 26th Warwickshire (Birmingham) Battalion][/h]
"Volunteer Saragine, a Home Guard despatch rider, was continually on the road visiting damaged places and various fire fighting stations during an air raid on Birmingham. The anti-aircraft barrage was severe and high explosive and incendiary bombs were dropping continuously. On at least ome occasion he passed within a few feet of a delayed action bomb."
L.G. 11.ii.1941
Source: The Times 12.ii.1941
Investiture: 22.iii.1941

There are a number of entries for William in Michael Minton's Heroes of the Birmingham Air Raids, but unfortunatly no photo, there is a footnote on one entry "Birmingham Gazette, 8th April 1941, there's a photo of William Saragine as well as an article about why he did not wear his medal - he had been given the wrong ribbon and he did not want to offend anyone"

Colin

Hi colin
can you tell me what page this info and picture of himis on please as i have that book in my hand now but i cannt find it
best wishes astonian;; alan;;;;

Alan, There is a index at the back of the book but entries on pages 24, 66, 69-70, I did say there wasn't a photo.

Colin

Further to my query re. William Saragine, I have finally managed to track down the newspaper story that covered his award and lo and behold there is a picture of him. It was in the Evening Despatch, dated Monday 7th April 1941. The story covered the confusion he experienced when he discovered that a mix up had occurred over whether the award was a Civil or Military Award. It turned out that it was a Military Division Medal.
Thankyou for your help.

Attachments

• William1.jpg
    William1.jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 15
hi reddi thats really is great news and what a story....so pleased you and your family now have that newspaper article to treasure

lyn

Last edited:
Back