• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BSA, Triumph and Ariel motorbikes & trikes

BSA offered promotion including a year’s free petrol with every purchase and free servicing for owners who could ‘introduce a friend’. By promoting and selling their machine
View attachment 173125View attachment 173124
I had one of those ... and I spent more time pushing it than riding it :)
There didn't seem to be any suspension on the back end and it was rough riding over some of the potholes! (The Ariel 3)

1975 744 cc Triumph T160 Trident.

Classic British motorcycles of over 500cc from the National Motorcycle Museum by Currie, Bob.

View attachment 180209
I saw one just like that with a blue tank. The fellow was riding with a friend on a 1974 BMW out in the country where we live. Both bikes were immaculate, brought back SO many great memories as they started up and rode away!
Thank you!

i used to walk over to the arial side of the BSA works at lunch time to look at the bike and think one day i will get one of these , i never did :grinning:
The Ariel Leader was a British motorcycle produced by Ariel Motorcycles between 1958 and 1965. A radical design, the Leader was fully enclosed with an integral windscreen and was the first British motorcycle to have optional flashing
indicators
Never liked them but they are slowly growing on me, ahead of there time unfortunatley

Yes, Trumpy71, I agree they were ahead of their time, the boy racers would't touch them. As I have mentioned before on this thread, I used to look down from the bridge on the Bristol Road Selly Oak, and look at the lines of Ariel, Leaders , and Arrows all parked in th the Ariel works there on my Saturday morning job about 1961/ 2 time!!!

1971 654 cc BSA A65FS Firebird Scrambler.

“What on earth is a Firebird, and whoever heard of a 654 cc vertical-twin scrambler?
Perhaps nobody this side of the Atlantic Ocean, but the Firebird was a version of the high-performing BSA Lightning twin produced especially for the American market, where the term 'scrambler has a rather different connotation. We tend to think of a scrambles machine as a purpose-built motocross model, but to the American enthusiast it is a road-legal device with a macho image, capable of being ridden across open desert when the opportunity presents itself.”

Classic British motorcycles of over 500cc from the National Motorcycle Museum, by Currie, Bob. Publication date 1988.

D374C067-5DE9-4AD0-94B9-B8669901173D.jpeg

9318EACA-69AD-473E-9608-1FFA1877C910.jpeg

1971 654 cc BSA A65FS Firebird Scrambler.

“What on earth is a Firebird, and whoever heard of a 654 cc vertical-twin scrambler?
Perhaps nobody this side of the Atlantic Ocean, but the Firebird was a version of the high-performing BSA Lightning twin produced especially for the American market, where the term 'scrambler has a rather different connotation. We tend to think of a scrambles machine as a purpose-built motocross model, but to the American enthusiast it is a road-legal device with a macho image, capable of being ridden across open desert when the opportunity presents itself.”

Classic British motorcycles of over 500cc from the National Motorcycle Museum, by Currie, Bob. Publication date 1988.

View attachment 180314

View attachment 180315
That was a great bike and did well for awhile. Unfortunately Kawasaki and Suzuki were faster cheaper and very reliable, with Honda coming on very strong.

1963 646 CC BSA Rocket Gold Star

“Lashings of chromium plating, a deep tank with 'Goldie top panel in frosted silver...no wonder it was the darling of café-racer society!

Most glamorous of all the pre-unit BSA vertical twins - that is, those with separate engine and gearbox - the Rocket Gold Star came right at the very end of the A10-type engine's production span. Indeed, the A10 itself had been superseded by the unit-construction A65 when, for the 1962 season, the 'Rocket Goldie' was announced.”

Classic British motorcycles of over 500cc from the National Motorcycle Museum by Currie, Bob. Publication date 1988

EFFC80D3-E436-4528-A80A-B0568B672783.jpeg039BED80-7C37-409C-8916-FFE373DF695A.jpeg

1963 646 CC BSA Rocket Gold Star

“Lashings of chromium plating, a deep tank with 'Goldie top panel in frosted silver...no wonder it was the darling of café-racer society!

Most glamorous of all the pre-unit BSA vertical twins - that is, those with separate engine and gearbox - the Rocket Gold Star came right at the very end of the A10-type engine's production span. Indeed, the A10 itself had been superseded by the unit-construction A65 when, for the 1962 season, the 'Rocket Goldie' was announced.”

Classic British motorcycles of over 500cc from the National Motorcycle Museum by Currie, Bob. Publication date 1988

View attachment 180367View attachment 180368
As nice clean look unfortunately it was yesterday’s technology and power output was not up to those particularly from Japan.

Back