• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BSA Machine Tools Ltd and A.C. Delco Ltd

smithsquared

Brummie Once Removed
Hi all,

From a recently discovered CV, I now know late father, George Joseph Smith, served an as an Apprentice at BSA Machine Tools Ltd, Birmingham between August 1929 to Aug 1932. He lived in or around Sparkbrook, could someone possibly tell me where the factory would have been at that time and if any of you know of old images of the factory from around that era.

In Aug 1932 he moved to A.C. Delco Ltd (until Jan 1936), again if anyone knows where this factory would have been at that time and if anyone knows of any old images of the factory from around that era.

I would be thrilled if I could add any of the above information to my collection.

Fingers crossed

We have a huge thread on the B.S.A. it was in Armoury Rd Small Heath.Type B.S.A. into the search box.A.C. Delco I remember this firm I think they made or stocked car spares but can,t recall where they were located I,m sure someone will refresh my memory. Dek

Dave,
Thanks for the reply re AC Delco, I knew about the Dunstable one since my father always said he helped set it up and got one of his elder brothers (Bert) involved there. Bert lived on in Dunstable till he retired in the late 60's. Never have found anything on the Birmingham factory yet.
Bob

Hi all,

From a recently discovered CV, I now know late father, George Joseph Smith, served an as an Apprentice at BSA Machine Tools Ltd, Birmingham between August 1929 to Aug 1932. He lived in or around Sparkbrook, could someone possibly tell me where the factory would have been at that time and if any of you know of old images of the factory from around that era.

In Aug 1932 he moved to A.C. Delco Ltd (until Jan 1936), again if anyone knows where this factory would have been at that time and if anyone knows of any old images of the factory from around that era.

I would be thrilled if I could add any of the above information to my collection.

Fingers crossed
BSA Tools were based in Montgomery Street in the years your Dad worked there, in WW2 heavy bombing destroyed the Armoury Rd factory and because of the bombing in the Small Heath area they were moved to a "Shadow Factory" in Kitts Green. Len.

BSA

The Birmingham Small Arms Co was founded in 1861 by the principal gunsmiths of Birmingham, who, in order to compete with the Government plant at Enfield, established a small-arms factory of their own. For the first nineteen years of its existence, from 1861 to 1880, the B.S.A., as it is usually called, was fully and exclusively occupied with orders for military arms. In the latter year, however, this trade decreased to such a point that the directors turned their attention to the field of cycle manufacture. Between 1880 and 1887 the Company made a variety of cycles, but from 1887 to 1893 the works were again exclusively occupied with small arms. In the latter year their manufacture returned to cycle components, and from 1908 onwards to cycles, motor cycles and motor-cars.
The following firms are now controlled by the Company—
In Birmingham: B.S.A. Cycles, B.S.A. Tools, B.S.A. Guns, B.S.A. Radio. In Coventry: Daimler. In Sheffield: William Jessop and Sons, J. J. Saville and Co, British Abrasive Wheel Co In London: Daimler Hire, Associated Daimler Co., Burton Griffiths and Co.
The Chairman is Sir H. Rogers, and Sir Edward Manville is Deputy-Chairman. The Company's issued capital consists of 2,815,172 Ordinary and 350,580 Preference Shares of £1 each, and a debt secured by Notes amounting to 42,500,000. Posted by Len.

Len,
Just spent ages wandering around Graces Guide, brilliant and an excellent way for an engineer to spend a Saturday evening.
I think your reference to the Sparkbrook works is correct, my grandfather was a 'gun worker' and lived at 27 Montgomery Street.
It looks to me like AC Delco was the ultimate name of the AC Sphinx Sparking Plug Co Ltd, of Birmingham. Found some great adverts along with a picture of the staffs visit to the new works at Dunstable.
Next question then is does anyone know where AC Sphinx Sparking Plug Co Ltd, of Birmingham was and are there any pictures of their works anywhere?
Bob

Len, When I worked for Willaim Bloye the sculptor (Queen Victoria Threads) His studio was on Golden Hillock Rd, There was a roudabout that had deep groves in the surface, BSA bike testers on the 500 twin? bikes caused this, When did the BSA bike factory close down in Tyseley? John Crump oldBrit Parker. Co USA

The Delco factory in Dunstable was demolished about 5 years ago. I was a regular visitor on business, and it was a rambling, run-down place that was extremely easy to get lost in. There was hardly any parking space for visitors, and more than once I had to park almost in Dunstable town-centre and walk back. They were also bad payers, and a few of my visits were to their accounts department. Delco also had a small factory in Luton, I believe, but I never visited. The A5 through Dunstable was also a nightmare, a notorious bottle-neck (probably still is). Not my favourite place.

Big Gee

Len,
Just spent ages wandering around Graces Guide, brilliant and an excellent way for an engineer to spend a Saturday evening.
I think your reference to the Sparkbrook works is correct, my grandfather was a 'gun worker' and lived at 27 Montgomery Street.
It looks to me like AC Delco was the ultimate name of the AC Sphinx Sparking Plug Co Ltd, of Birmingham. Found some great adverts along with a picture of the staffs visit to the new works at Dunstable.
Next question then is does anyone know where AC Sphinx Sparking Plug Co Ltd, of Birmingham was and are there any pictures of their works anywhere?
Bob

Looks Like Midland Red had the job of transporting them.

Bob,
Thanks for the address, I have received it before, does anyone know where these numbers would have been back in 1934, just trying to place it on a map I am putting together.

The Delco factory in Dunstable was demolished about 5 years ago. I was a regular visitor on business, and it was a rambling, run-down place that was extremely easy to get lost in. There was hardly any parking space for visitors, and more than once I had to park almost in Dunstable town-centre and walk back. They were also bad payers, and a few of my visits were to their accounts department. Delco also had a small factory in Luton, I believe, but I never visited. The A5 through Dunstable was also a nightmare, a notorious bottle-neck (probably still is). Not my favourite place.

Big Gee

Sorry you have bad recollections of AC Delco, I only new it when I was a kid and we used to go up and stay with my uncle who lived in Suncote Avenue around the corner, long time ago now!
Bob

Hi everyone
Im new on here but was wondering if anyone has a picture of Bob Hatch a comedian in the 1950/1960`s. I definitely know he played BSA Kitts Green Social club in the days!

Back