• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BSA gun component outsourcing WWll

Graye

proper brummie kid
I'm researching a book and have only just started look at this particular aspect so at the moment I'm not sure what I am likely to discover. Currently I can't find any books to help me on one particular aspect of this subject and wonder if there is any obscure information "out there" which I have otherwise missed.

I understand BSA starting manufacturing a version of the Oerlikon naval gun in around 1940, outsourcing various spring-making operations (presumably including the large spring on the outside of the barrel), some of these to small engineering firms in Redditch (possibly via their factory there). Does anyone know whether there are any official records still around of which companies were involved and what they were making? Also, I know they were producing munitions prior to 1940. It appears this was the BESA and I don't think this a naval gun. Does anyone know if they were also producing naval guns and which ones these were?

I suppose there will be some National Archive references for this. If so, does anyone know which Records Offices might be involved?

The BESA was a machine gun. I've often seen it mentioned in relation to tank warfare in North Africa, in various books I've read.

You could contact Central Library in Birmingham but it's in the middle of a move at the moment. I am sure they will tell you if they have any records.

hi graye
If you are looking for any of those naval guns and navy colts which are most sort after you can get them on the big country and westeren festivals
that are starting up within this month ;if you attend you will find some gun dealers that follow us around the country
i think its stourport first one then stratford race course and i know most of the gundealers personally ;
but i will say ifyou wanted to track one down just forget stourport because they do not come there owing to the county ;and plus the fact its just bands of some top singers in the country and western on the local curcuit there will be one or two of the better gun dealers will be at stratford festival
you can go to most of thecountry and western festivals but do not bother going to the botantical gardens harborne because they do not go there ;
its only the bands and the charityes tha set up camp as i say the best place is down in brean the end of this month and august and september
there is alot of gun sellers there but over the years like any think else the prices of these weapons the navvy colts whichare reaklly smart and handsome
last years price was around the three hundred mark ;my brother inlaw as got his eyes on a pair with a case as well ; astonian ;;

Thanks for the info, I will see if I can locate more info from those sources.

Astonian, thanks for that but I don't really want to own one, just know about their production. Interesting thought though...

Back