• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BSA Factory 1940s Onwards

Hi all Re the photo sent in by Lou ,just where the children are standing in about the centre of the pic there is a depresion in the roadway and when it rained the water would lie on the left hand side of the Rd. It was great fun to bore through abouy 2 inches of water and at times it felt queer as though you were aquaplaning Cheer . That is a wonderful photo Old Brummy

mstephens what a set of fantastic pics. from what i can remember the house were knocked down from about 1986/7 onwards. the main factory from about 1977 ish onwards. (it took years if i remember)
the first pic is taken from Golden Hillock Rd near to the junction of Anderton Rd looking towards the factory
the second is taken just inside the factory right at the top of Armoury Rd - the pub was called The Sydenham, from where the pic is took used to be a huge christmas tree every year
the third is from the same position as the second but panned slightly to the right,
the fourth......well says it all reaally
i remember when the BBC filmed gangsters, they were there for about two or three days. i have some pics of the road when they were knocking the house and the factory down if anyone is interested. also i could take my camera and take some from the above positions sort of then and now again if anyone is interested.
once again thanks for showing them.

mstephens what a set of fantastic pics. from what i can remember the house were knocked down from about 1986/7 onwards. the main factory from about 1977 ish onwards. (it took years if i remember)
the first pic is taken from Golden Hillock Rd near to the junction of Anderton Rd looking towards the factory
the second is taken just inside the factory right at the top of Armoury Rd - the pub was called The Sydenham, from where the pic is took used to be a huge christmas tree every year
the third is from the same position as the second but panned slightly to the right,
the fourth......well says it all reaally
i remember when the BBC filmed gangsters, they were there for about two or three days. i have some pics of the road when they were knocking the house and the factory down if anyone is interested. also i could take my camera and take some from the above positions sort of then and now again if anyone is interested.
once again thanks for showing them.
Hi Capt Black I went to Armoury Rd around about 1989 and took some pics I will have to get my old pasports out and just verify the date but whatever year it was all the houses were gone. I will get on to it shortly and call in again Old Brummy

Hi Old Brummy, thanks for the reply,
do you still have those pics? would be great if you could post them on here. i think it was 87/88 when they knocked the houses down, i know it took a while because they appeared to start at the Golden Hillock rd end and then when they got to about halfway down it then ended up being a mish mash .....sort of a bit here and a bit there. there is one very small piece of the main factory left...a very small one tho, but i think it will be there for a while. i have a pic somewhere so will go digging around and post it here.
thanks

Bsa/Ariel Factory Armoury Rd. this is the photo i have been looking for lost off my computer, Thanks christy. Len.

Last edited:
BSA Armoury Rd Pics
Hi Capt Black Just Having a try at sending 3 pics Old Brummy

Capt Black I filled in the URL for the pics and submitted Let me know if the pics arrive Cheers Old Brummy

Hi Joe, I have put your pictures here. Rgds Lou

[ame="https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/3465571674/in/photostream/"]# pics BSA Factory 1988-1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3499/3465571674_12059e40e3.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@3465571674@@AMEPARAM@@12059e40e3[/ame]

[ame="https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/3464756071/in/photostream/"]# pics BSA Factory 1988-2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3523/3464756071_379f75d1d0.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@3464756071@@AMEPARAM@@379f75d1d0[/ame]

[ame="https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/3465571762/"]# pics BSA Factory 1988-3 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3650/3465571762_62fc810371.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@3465571762@@AMEPARAM@@62fc810371[/ame]

Last edited:
Wow what a pic !!
i used to live directly opposite the pic of the gentleman standing in the road, in the background you can clearly see the white painted football goals where we all used to play on those long summer evenings. there used to be a huge plate glass window there showing offthe latest bike but it was forever being broken so they bricked it up, i have some more pics that i am in the process of sorting out to scan, i will then put them upon here
thanks once again
brilliant !!

just found these pics
hope they are of interest. the first one is of the dole office they built right at the position where the factory was destroyed in Nov 1940.
the second is of the "last piece" still standing. Small i know but still standing.

Last edited:
Wow what a pic !!
i used to live directly opposite the pic of the gentleman standing in the road, in the background you can clearly see the white painted football goals where we all used to play on those long summer evenings. there used to be a huge plate glass window there showing offthe latest bike but it was forever being broken so they bricked it up, i have some more pics that i am in the process of sorting out to scan, i will then put them upon here
thanks once again
brilliant !!
Capt Black Thats no gentleman standing in the road/////////Thats Old brummy Cheers Joe and thanks are due to Lou Dalby for sorting out the pics

hi len or any-body
does any body remember the biggest robbery in brum ?,
yes as you was talking back about the old bsa it came to my mind
that the BSA was robbedby robbers of there pay roll way back in
the mid sixties was any of you guys working there at the time
of this incident,i don,t know whether any body was caught for
this i beleived they used the old suped up cortinas for the
robbery this must come under the added history of the
old BSA astonian ;;

Just joined the forum and have a question.
During WWII my father worked at the BSA {and mom too} he worked on
and developed from some schematics smuggled out of Poland I think for a new type of gun.

"The Sten Gun", my father was I think the team leader on this project and
was one of the first to fire it, are there any old hands out there, or children of who may have worked there or remember this project.

STEN is an acronym, cited as derived from the names of the weapon's chief designers, Major Reginald Shepherd and Harold Turpin, and EN for Enfield.[1] Over 4 million Stens in various versions were made in the 1940s, How the Sten gun got its name. Len.

I have 8 pages from The BSA Group News, December 1959, which features my late Gt Uncle Horace Ford. The pages contain quite a few names and photographs.
Would anyone like me to try and post the information and photos on here and am I doing this in the right place ?..Im New to this...!!!
Hi lindyloo, I would very much like to see your 8 pages from The BSA Group News, December 1959, i worked at BSA Tools, Kitts Green & BSA Guns, Shirley as you can see from my posts on this thread, if i IM my email address to you could send them to me, i live down Brays Rd from you and use Herondale Rd very often, a happy & healthy Christmas and New Year to you & yours. Len.

Back