• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bsa Factory Transport

J

johnny f

How did BSA transport their goods from the factory, did they use the railways ? If anyone has photo`s of motorcycles being despatched i would love to see them, especially by train. thanks

Also I wonder what was there before the factory,any pictures of it? If you look at old maps of what are now built up areas,they were all fields,and not that long ago either. Thanks

Last edited:
My dad worked at the BSA to 1974. I remember him telling me about the BSA horse that used to tow the barges along the canal which ran to the side of the factory. Perhaps this was one method of transport at some time.

Does anyone else know anything about this particular horse?

There was rail access into the BSA factory at one time.
British Railways (Western Region) "Sectional Appendix to the Working Timetables.....Birmingham Traffic District" (October 1960) gives instructions for the working of:
"Small Heath and Sparkbrook-Daimler and B.S.A. Company's Sidings"
These sidings were controlled from Small Heath South Signal Box,from,what the instructions refer to as "the B.S.A. Loop Siding".A gate was provided at the sidings and usually kept locked across the sidings;the key to the gate being kept in the signal box.The instructions also mention that certain classes of locomotive were prohibited from the "B.S.A. Private Siding".​

Also I wonder what was there before the factory,any pictures of it? If you look at old maps of what are now built up areas,they were all fields,and not that long ago either. Thanks

Dunno Why, Possibly from Taffy Lewi's book, but I think the BSA site in Armory Rd was previously Lloyds Farm, and there was also a drop forge around there somewhere.

I'm sure somebody on here will tell you if I'm wrong.

Some bikes for export where put into ferry wagons in Small heath yard, I worked in the packing dept at the time ( 1955 ) and my foreman had to supervise the loading etc. Bikes for the home market went by road useing transport by Linney's of Bakers Street Sparkhill who were related to me. The barge was used to bring coal up to the boiler house which suppied heating etc to the works.

View of the BSA factory, Small Heath, built 1862, and the Redditch factory, i posted this on another thread, type in search "BSA".Len.
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Dunno Why, Possibly from Taffy Lewi's book, but I think the BSA site in Armory Rd was previously Lloyds Farm, and there was also a drop forge around there somewhere.

I'm sure somebody on here will tell you if I'm wrong.
There was indeed a drop forge there, pretty close to the canal where the crankshafts were forged, you could feel the drop hammers in the drawing offices opposite.

Back