• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BSA Bikes Birmingham

Louis Dalby Thanks for putting up the pic Lou I must get my head down and sort out soe more Dandy pics .I do not have many since these were the days before everone had a digital camera and films cost money then Cheers Joe Sorry Old Brummie

my uncle horace manton, related to the (manton bros gun smiths ) had a bsa from the early 30's and as a reserved occupation started the handsworth arp dispatch riders in the war, when the bsa closed he was in tears for days, saying why have they closed the bezzer.
paul stacey

Can anybody add more to this story.

In about 1956 or so my family lived in Malmesbury Road, Small Heath. I was just into my teens and my youger brother was about 9 years old. I had just acquired a brand new push bike and to eliminate sibling rivalry they were able to secure a must small two wheeler from a local cycling identity. This black BSA bike had a fancy crest just below the handlebars. We were told that the BSA had made six of these custom made bikes for Princess Margaret(?) to choose from, my brother's new bike was one of the bikes she didn't select. The story was not a salesman's pitch, my parents had cycled with him and his family for years and years, and he was well respected in the sport.

In case you're interested we don't have the bike anymore !!!!

hi Snowball
I too had a bike,my pride and joy,It was a rusty 3 wheeler with the Quadrant shaped box on the back,I used to take it to the corner of Armoury road to meet my Dad when he came out of work. One night about 6.00pm in the winter my friend and I decided to go down the hill toward the sports field, he was "driving and | was standing in the box as we went down at great speed ,the front wheel hit something and the bike ,michael and myself went up in the air,needless to say they all landed on me,I ended up with stitches in my legs and still have the scars today.
No Elf and safety then. lol
ps I was about 10 at the time

hi Snowball
I too had a bike,my pride and joy,It was a rusty 3 wheeler with the Quadrant shaped box on the back,I used to take it to the corner of Armoury road to meet my Dad when he came out of work. One night about 6.00pm in the winter my friend and I decided to go down the hill toward the sports field, he was "driving and | was standing in the box as we went down at great speed ,the front wheel hit something and the bike ,michael and myself went up in the air,needless to say they all landed on me,I ended up with stitches in my legs and still have the scars today.
No Elf and safety then. lol
ps I was about 10 at the time

Bring it on Shelagh it sounds good

Re: Royal Bycycle
Hi,
Picked up on this thread a little late, but better late than never. My Granfather, Alfred Ernest Wright always told us that he had built the present Queen and Princess Margarets bikes, stands to reason they may have produced more, and picked the best ?. Both he and my Grandmother worked at the BSA having started at the Hercules Bycycle Factory. As the BSA business colapsed, my Grandmother now a full time mother, never worked again, but Grandfather was moved all over the different sites, Redditch, I think, but finnishing at Marshall Lake Road from where he eventually retired. He lived until his death just round the corner in St Gerrards Road.

An interior view, before the Second World War, of motorcycle production. B.S.A. was known in full as the Birmingham Small Arms Company. They started in the jewellery quarter of Birmingham manufacturing guns and ammunition and were major suppliers for both world wars. the factory was targetted and bombed during the blitz in the Second World War with many lives sadly lost. The company had manufactured motorcycles for most of it's history and as demand for weapons decreased this became their main stock in trade. Although they are no longer based in Small Heath they still continue to trade from Southampton where they produce limited runs of retro- motorcycles. Len.

Hi Len, The picture is Post War and the bikes are B31/B32 with a swinging arm frames which makes the date 1956. Lou Dalby Ex BSA Test.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/sets/72157622597337102/

Last edited:
hi all..just found this pic of bsa cycles dated 1910

Edit. Replacement image, may vary from originalimage.jpeg

I am not sure, I was not born until 1947! I have a feeling that they were prior to the war thought, possibly late 1930's. I am sure someone on the Forum will know.

Shortie

Hi All

The British Restaurants were introduced during WW11. They continued for a short time after the war.

Old Boy

i built them at the BSA,and never did know that they were called that untill now.starlite75,thanks.i liked the beagle but hated the pixie

I hav'nt heard of this bike since the early sixtys, our next door naibour Mr Russell had one bit it had leg guards and hand warmers built into it.

i would still have one if that thief had not nicked it,i love it.
postie the pixie had 2 wheels not 3

Thje Beagle and the Pixie came onstream after I left BSA in 1957. My last few weeks at BSA were spent setting up the assembly section for the Dandy Prior to that spent many hours doing milieage on them . Sold quite a lot here in Aussie from 1957 onwards Early models had a hand pull starter and alloy cylinders with chrome liner. The liners would lift around the ports and jamm the piston so they went to castiron blocks or maybe just sleeves Long time ago now Cheers

Thje Beagle and the Pixie came onstream after I left BSA in 1957. My last few weeks at BSA were spent setting up the assembly section for the Dandy Prior to that spent many hours doing milieage on them . Sold quite a lot here in Aussie from 1957 onwards Early models had a hand pull starter and alloy cylinders with chrome liner. The liners would lift around the ports and jamm the piston so they went to castiron blocks or maybe just sleeves Long time ago now Cheers
Went to cast iron blocks, I graided the blocks and pistons in the view room stamping the bases with the piston sizes to be fitted.

Back