• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BSA Bikes Birmingham

I would like to contact ex BSA employees Eddie Graham, Peter Perrigo, Pat Slinn or Roy Bevis. Does anyone know if one of them is a member of the Forum?

Em

It' me again Louis! Still hot on the Beagle trail. I chatted to an ex tester colleague of yours at Newark on Saturday (Mick Williams). He cannot recall a BSA Beagle appearing for test on the Small Heath test ground whilst he worked at Small Heath. He can only recall John Greeves riding one of the experimental department bikes that had come up for sale. John bought it for his daily commute. Mick asked if the Beagle was actually made and assembled at Armoury Road. He knows it was not built at Selly Oak because the Dale Road factory was being disbanded and everything was heading for Small Heath. Which leads to ask "was it made at Redditch?" Can you shed any light on it Louis?

Em

This advert for BSA bikes shows a factory in the background. Would it be the Armoury Road factory ? Viv.

image.jpeg

BSA_Empire_Star_500_cc_1936.jpg

This was like my first motor bike, a 1936 Empire Star
Dave A

The other day somebody sent me a copy of a letter ( dated 9th December 1971) from the service department of the BSA factory. The letter was sent to an M20 owner in the USA, and this is a quote from this letter:

From the serial number WM20 97102 which you quote, we would imagine that the machine would be produced around 1943. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to be more positive, as so many of our records were destroyed by enemy action during the war.

View attachment 119727

Oops, the BSA ledgers that survived continue up to approximately WM20.70000 (late 1942). I thought that the Blitz happened much earlier…? Time to do some research! (I love doing this research! See also https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-in-upper-highgate-street-hit-by-bombs.47784/ If you install the Photobucket plug-in in Chrome you can still see the pictures that I posted)
Hi,
We have a small motorcycle business and are working on a BSA WM20 which dates from late 1942 apparently. I wonder how many of these wartime models have survived?
Lynn R.

My brother had a BSA WM20 in the 70's. Built like a tank, and not a fast machine, but looked like it could run forever. I have a feeling they were a side valve machine?

My brother had a BSA WM20 in the 70's. Built like a tank, and not a fast machine, but looked like it could run forever. I have a feeling they were a side valve machine?
Hi Morturn,
Yes you're right, they were a 500cc side valve, not very pretty but as you say built like a tank and solid as a rock!
Lynn R.

Sorry to stray away from the "Dandy" thread but,although I worked on hundreds of "Beagle" cylinder heads in 1963, I never saw one on the road!!
and me i did the beagle and pixie. no i never saw one on the road.i rode them around the works though

I am seriuosly thinking of making an offer for a 1964 Beagle. It is complete and in running order but I have heard that the oil pump was not up to the job of lubricating the essential parts of the engine which led to premature failure of the big-end and the valve gear. I would appreciate any advice.

I can recall regularly seeing one of the BSA testers riding a Bantam Engined Beagle down Hamstead Road and Church Hill Road to Perry Barr. He was probably on his way to Armoury Road. It had the Bantam telescopic front forks and front hub and was a lovely looking machine. `Whatever Happened to the British Motorcycle Industry'? Another potential winner that was laid to rest.

Em
mca aston sell engine parts for this bike.and most british bikes

When I worked for William Bloye the sculptor on Golden Hillock Rd, in the 1950s The house that we worked at, was on an island round about, the BSA rides would test ride there, I think BSA 500 twin bikes? there was grove in the road from there bikes. They had a great sound that we could hear in the studio.

Thanks Louis. I have ben told that the factory sent the senior apprentices on a team-building/outward bound treck to Mid Wales in 1962. Each one of them was given a Beagle or Pixie and told to ride them to destruction. They set off in convoy for their destination. By the end of the week some of them were riding two-up, They had achieved all that was asked of them. Management was not pleased.

Pity they had not done something similar a few years earlier with the Dandy. In that instance they let the paying Joe Public test them to destruction. Neither the customer nor the dealerships were amused.

Em
i started working there 1964 ,on the beagles,and pixies. nice little bikes. only made for 2 years. from 1963/1965.

Last edited:
It' me again Louis! Still hot on the Beagle trail. I chatted to an ex tester colleague of yours at Newark on Saturday (Mick Williams). He cannot recall a BSA Beagle appearing for test on the Small Heath test ground whilst he worked at Small Heath. He can only recall John Greeves riding one of the experimental department bikes that had come up for sale. John bought it for his daily commute. Mick asked if the Beagle was actually made and assembled at Armoury Road. He knows it was not built at Selly Oak because the Dale Road factory was being disbanded and everything was heading for Small Heath. Which leads to ask "was it made at Redditch?" Can you shed any light on it Louis?

Em
beagle was made at the bsa small heath, with the scooter, bantams etc. i remember first trying to start a beagle. for ages untill i found that hidden ign switch. testers went home on bikes,they had a ext battery and clipped the wires on.never did see a tester go home on a beagle or pixie though.

My mom ivy Stephens (nee webb) who has passed away aged 90. Used to work in the BSA factory putting ball bearings in the pedals of cycles/motorbikes? 50’s/60’s? Anyone have any information re these times

I worked for William Bloye the sculptor in the 1950s and the house that had his studio was by a roundabout on Golden Hillock Rd Brum not far from the BSA factory, There was a groove in the road that from the BSA test riders going around, BSA 500 twin I think was the bike then

Back