• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BSA Bikes Birmingham

Quality Control in 1965. Viv.

View attachment 154194
i remember that. after the checks were done and faults rectifed, the bikes was taken to the outdept. ready for collection we called it the celler it was quite dark in there..during our lunch we had a mooch around in there:grinning:
the testers took a sample of a finished bike and give it a good run around the track. some went home on the bikes.with tradeplates on

Pete, one more question: what was the reason for the long stroke?
Hi..Richard....due to the longer stroke, the engine makes good torque at relatively low rpms. It is important when the Bikes' pulling more (torque) at lower rpms is more important than the top speed. Generally, tourers, cruisers and long distance motorcycles are preferred to have Long Stroke engines.
The single will have the advantage with more low-end grunt, lighter weight, and a better lean angle. At higher speeds, the twin will have the advantage due to the higher red-line.

Hi..Richard....due to the longer stroke, the engine makes good torque at relatively low rpms. It is important when the Bikes' pulling more (torque) at lower rpms is more important than the top speed. Generally, tourers, cruisers and long distance motorcycles are preferred to have Long Stroke engines.
The single will have the advantage with more low-end grunt, lighter weight, and a better lean angle. At higher speeds, the twin will have the advantage due to the higher red-line.
Thank you!

Part of my lunchtime reading today, very interesting, sad very little mention of my model a 125 bantam, the later model with he fishtail exhaust and full double saddle, top speed about 70, had some good times on it, never let me down once. The reg was FFK, picked it up in Leominster, out on the bus back on the bike and I had never used one before. When did BSA close down?

Bob

Deffo not 70s haircuts look more like 50s as some of those lads look like they are in their early 20s or late teens, comments would be made down the local disco!

The motorbike photo is possibly 1970s but agree the bicycle one looks much older. I think the ‘boys’ had all had haircuts for the occasion. Maybe someone could give a rough date of the bicycles they’re assembling. Viv.

It' me again Louis! Still hot on the Beagle trail. I chatted to an ex tester colleague of yours at Newark on Saturday (Mick Williams). He cannot recall a BSA Beagle appearing for test on the Small Heath test ground whilst he worked at Small Heath. He can only recall John Greeves riding one of the experimental department bikes that had come up for sale. John bought it for his daily commute. Mick asked if the Beagle was actually made and assembled at Armoury Road. He knows it was not built at Selly Oak because the Dale Road factory was being disbanded and everything was heading for Small Heath. Which leads to ask "was it made at Redditch?" Can you shed any light on it Louis?

Em
Hi, yes indeed, the Beagle was made at Small Heath, for a while during my apprenticeship I was put on Beagle assembly line inspection.

beagle was made at the bsa small heath, with the scooter, bantams etc. i remember first trying to start a beagle. for ages untill i found that hidden ign switch. testers went home on bikes,they had a ext battery and clipped the wires on.never did see a tester go home on a beagle or pixie though.
I can confirm that.

Back