• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BSA Bikes Birmingham

O

O.C.

Edit. This thread is about BSA bikes. For other discussion about BSA please see the thread links here:

BSA early years to the late 1800s https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...m-small-arms-early-years-to-late-1800s.48410/

BSA 1900s to 1930s https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-small-arms-1900s-1930s.3009/

BSA 1940s onwards https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...l-arms-1940s-onwards.13894/page-7#post-484231

BSA during the Blitz https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-small-arms-in-blitz.48277/j

BSA Ad 1919

Edit. Replacement image, may vary from original.
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pen friend in the USA who is a collector of old British Bikes especially the Beezers (BSA) for the uniniated:rolleyes: .
He would love some information on the BSA factory, history and pictures if possible.
Now I know someone out there will know what I'm looking for.
Thanks Jude :D

Attachments

• BSA bikes.jpg
    BSA bikes.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 8
Jude, try putting Birmingham Small Arms the full name for BSA in the search engine. There has been a thread on this. Good Luck Wendy.

Bsa

BSA of course manufactured motor bikes that were not exactly high tec, after riding one of their machines for any length time BSA took on another meaning. Bl**dy Sore Ar*e

Hey Mr Wheeler I guess your a Triumph man then?........... Beezers were the best bikes on the Rd:D You either loved em or hated them! My boyfriend at the time had a Red 650 Road Rocket, we went everywhere on it, I never experienced a sore ass!!!!!!!!!!
We were founder members of a cycle group called The White Angels as opposed to Hells Angels! John Watson, Johnny Harris, Tony Thursfield, myself and a few others, the names escape me now all from the Erdington area.
We all wore Black leathers with a huge White Angel on the back of our jackets.
I often wonder if they're still alive and what they're doing nowadays!

Mr Wheeler, ya shoulda paid extra and had the Export saddle.

Hey Jude ( ooh I feel a song coming on ) don't forget you Women have got more padding than us mere Adonisis. 8)

Bsa

Hi all I had the old 250 side valve think it was a C11--C10 was overhead valve I think ???

Hi all I had the old 250 side valve think it was a C11--C10 was overhead valve I think ???
I used to work on the TT sidecars with Eric Oliver at Watsonion in greet--
they where the days you enjoyed going in work

Hi Mossy, thank you that was very informative, pity I couldn't open the link to the BSA Memorial page.
I have sent this link to my friend I know he'll be delighted.
Jude

Vintage bikes

I think my first bike in 1955 was a bit older than yours but technically more advanced. 1934 150cc New Imperial 3 speed handchange converted to foot change, I believe it was the first 150cc bike to top 100mph. Also had no primary chain, link to the dynamo and gear box was through triple helical gears.

Cost me £12 and had last been taxed in 1946, I should have kept it, worth a bit of money now but £12 then was twelve weeks pay for a national serviceman.

George

bikes

As a kid of sixteen I had for a short time a BSA Sloper got in a private sale
I think he saw me coming if it dropped sideways as I got off I could not lift the dam thing up again swapped it for a 150 Fanny Barnet think it was a 1936 then a Excelsior 250 talisman twin great fun on to a Matchbox used to work there so no problem with spares-- all free on to a Sunbeam two big pots on the side for an engine then the HRD vincent 1000 finished with Triumph tiger 100 used to average 300 miles
on a sunday. On a trip round wales one day the only car on the road was a funeral car it rained all day so not a lot changes that way never got a drop in me barbour suit. Then I swapped bikes for bubble cars they would turn on a tanner 60 MPH over 100 miles to the gallon to the coast and back for eight bob or to the young uns forty pence.

1645200125226.pngI bought one of these mean machines in 1964 from aston auto motors,aston rd.it was a smashing machine,30 bob the insurance cost me,from PM Harts new town row.I used to raz up and down phillips st on it.until some one PINCHED IT.Any one else have one

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

When I started work at BSA I used to use one of these machines to burn rubber :Aah: inside the factory. I had the choice of any of the BSA range of bikes, but chose this one, it was fun. I think that this was before the Honda '50' came out.

RE bsa dandy

CADEAU.Hi ta for reply,It was the only bike i had with a pre select
gear box,great fun,wish i still had it now.What with the price of fuel. pete

Hi Peter,
My grandad actually owned Aston auto motors...remember it well as a young chlid sitting on the bikes...jus looking in to the history of the shop..i've got some old photo's of the shop and jus wondering if you have any memories or pictures???
Regards
Barry:)

Cadeau. Honda 50=70-90,s I was going to buy a Honda 90 around the £500 mark brand new, but declined at the last minute. Only bike I rode on was the Matchless 125 ( just about what I could handle ) It was yes and no to whether I ever felt sorry for not owning one. It would not take a lot to figure that out.

HELLO.ernie.i saw a man sitting at the traffic lights years ago.he was on a chickin chaser 50,when the lights changed he opend the throttle wide,stamped on the gearchange,the bike shot forward and the man was left sitting in the road,i was so sorry to see it happen.

Pete, please feel free to copy any of my pictures, they are meant to shared.

BSA Dandy, believed to be T.T. model lol

Yes Jim that is the T.T. special in dessert decal, ones we made especially for the oil sheiks to blend in with the decor, they swear that they could out sprint a camel any day!:2623:

Looking at Lencops pic of the BSA Dandy bike I can see where the Honda 50/70/90 range were copied from.
I bought a Honda motorbike from Aston Auto Motors and went to collect it after work on a friday night, as It was late the staff pushed the bike outside for me and when I told them that I had never had a Japanese bike before and were the gears the same as English bikes was greated with "I dont know, just go up & down, you'll get the hang of it!", I think it was a 160 twin. It was raining and half way home it started to splutter and the spark plugs that were recessed deep in the block were shorting out with the rain .....I got as far as Kings Heath and went to the Police Station and borrowed a dry cloth, after that I always carried several rags, after about 10 miles the heat from the block would keep the water from shorting the spark plugs, poor design!!
Pete

Re: Chicken Chaser.

Pete. That was funny reading about the " Chicken Chaser ", I guess at least his bike caught the chicken. I guess he must have had the body build of those kids in Loxton Street PT class.:D:D

Bit of a Racey name was'nt it lads.:D

I had a bit more butch bike a James Capt:)

Talking about " BUTCH " bikes, what about the Ariel pixie and Triumph Tina. :p

Last edited:
PERHAPS THE ULTIMATE RACING MACHINE, :beam: THE ARIEL PIXIE 3 WHEELER. ( for really fast cornering )

Last edited:
Back