• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brush Makers - Summer Lane

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
I found this cutting in an old scrap book my sister just found in a cupbaord. Does anyone remember it of have more information. The caption reads:
'What is probably the oldest and certainly one of the very few factory signs in Birmingham hangs on the office front of a Summer Lane firm of brushmakers. This outsized broom was originally put up in 1856 by the founder of the firm. Apart form occasional replacement of its brass bristles it is still as it was nearly 100 years ago.'
The date would put the cutting early 1950s.

DEAR MICHAEL,I REMEMEBER STORIES ABOUT THE BRUSH FACTORY MY MOM WAS JOYCE IVY JELF HER FATHER, WAS ERNEST JELF IT WAS HER FIRST JOB BEFORE THE WAR , SHE SAID SHE HAD FUN THERE ,WHILST ON THE SUBJECT, ON THE BIG BRUSH THERE WAS ANOTHER BIG BROOM ABOVE ANOTHER STORE ON THE ASTON ROAD NORTH ,HEADING TOWARDS TOWN IT WAS A BIG HARD WARE STORE, AND THEY HAD ONE ABOVE THERE I THINK IT WAS CALLED THE BIG BROOM OR THE HOUSE OF JACK BUILT IT WAS OPP;; ONE OF THE JELF ,S COFFEE SHOP WHEN WE USED TO GO TO MY NANS IN WHITE HOUSE STREET WE WOULD ALWAYS LOOK UP AT IT,AND STARE AND SAT WOW, WE LIVED AT 5/92 LICHFIELD ROAD ,, BEST WISHES , ASTONIAN,

Many thanks, Astonian. The big hardware store in Aston Road must have had another name; The House that Jack Built was in Newtown Row

As far as I know Astonian it was always known as The Big Broom, it was next door or almost next door to a photographers - Purcell & Betts??

yes sylviasayers thats was correct, i was 17 years of age in 50s when i had to go stay with my nan in whitehouse street. while my mom was in hospitial i had to go st. mary school where had cups of coco in morning and small bottle of milk in the afternoon

many thanks

best wishs astonian

Back