• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brunswick Club, 464 Moseley Road

The club building is still there at 464 Moseley Road but it's no longer the Brunswick Club. According to our late Phil the club closed in the 1990s. He had been club treasurer.
Screenshot_20230627_074325_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Various Tom King,Frn King,Don Marlow,Jack Isaacs, Olive Isaacs, to name a few from memory. any contribution will be gratefully received.
Hi Barry,
these pictures bring back childhood memories for me born in 1949 , on picture 33 with spotted tie is my uncle Dave Bennett who was a long time member and lived in Clifton Road, behind him is Les Jeavons who lived in Wenman Street father of Alan who was a friend of mine. Dave and his wife Lil had no children so I was regularly renamed Bennett so that I could go to Christmas parties etc. On photo 11 is Tom King and his wife Francis on picture 14, they lived in my street , Gosford Street and had 2 sons Michael and Peter, Tom was also a cub/scout leader in Lime Grove.
I don't know the full details but Les Jeavons and Don Marlow ( who I did not know) were involved in a serious road accident on Moseley Road outside the club and were both badly injured.
In the late 60's I worked as a part time pump attendant at St.Pauls garage almost next door owned by Don Clayton who I think was also a member. Look forward to some more pictures. BobJ

Hi Barry,
these pictures bring back childhood memories for me born in 1949 , on picture 33 with spotted tie is my uncle Dave Bennett who was a long time member and lived in Clifton Road, behind him is Les Jeavons who lived in Wenman Street father of Alan who was a friend of mine. Dave and his wife Lil had no children so I was regularly renamed Bennett so that I could go to Christmas parties etc. On photo 11 is Tom King and his wife Francis on picture 14, they lived in my street , Gosford Street and had 2 sons Michael and Peter, Tom was also a cub/scout leader in Lime Grove.
I don't know the full details but Les Jeavons and Don Marlow ( who I did not know) were involved in a serious road accident on Moseley Road outside the club and were both badly injured.
In the late 60's I worked as a part time pump attendant at St.Pauls garage almost next door owned by Don Clayton who I think was also a member. Look forward to some more pictures. BobJ
Hello Bob....thanks for the reply

les Jeavons rings a bell but that's all Don Marlow was on committee when I joined....1973 ish to 1980 remember the accident from what I recall they were pushing a broken down car when they were hit from behind on the Moseley Rd...tragic! Sadly Don't remember the Bennets,sorry. Although we only lived in Homer St across the Road...........
I remember well the Christmas party's with present in the snooker room ( tables removed for Christmas and New year party) not to forget Bonfire and fireworks. ............
Tom & Fran King were very good friends of our family...we still meet up with Pete King and his good lady Chris..did Part time work in grocers SIZES then H E Haynes butchers Ladypool Rd till 72 then pursued a different career. She's on the Moseley Rd...Dunkhams sweets, newsagents Kents, Pritchard? Chemist, Swimmng baths and library.

Hope you are still awake ;) not sure many more pictures will have a look... great to hear from you take care Barry

les Jeavons rings a bell but that's all Don Marlow was on committee when I joined....1973 ish to 1980 remember the accident from what I recall they were pushing a broken down car when they were hit from behind on the Moseley Rd...tragic! Sadly Don't remember the Bennets,sorry. Although we only lived in Homer St across the Road...........
I remember well the Christmas party's with present in the snooker room ( tables removed for Christmas and New year party) not to forget Bonfire and fireworks. ............
Tom & Fran King were very good friends of our family...we still meet up with Pete King and his good lady Chris..did Part time work in grocers SIZES then H E Haynes butchers Ladypool Rd till 72 then pursued a different career. She's on the Moseley Rd...Dunkhams sweets, newsagents Kents, Pritchard? Chemist, Swimmng baths and library.

Hope you are still awake ;) not sure many more pictures will have a look... great to hear from you take care Barry

Hi Barry,
have found a 1953 Christmas party photo, dated on the back as Birmingham Post January 1954
cheers Bob
Brunswick.jpg

Great stuff, bit early for me... but very similar to the ones I remember in early 1960s thanks for sharing.

Does anyone have any information on the Brunswick Club, Moseley Road ?
I know it was an active club around 1930, but that's about it - any info whatsoever would be received with gratitude.

Ian.
I used to attend there when my fishing club Starlets Juniors had meetings there and later when my friend had it as a strip club called Sensations

I vaguely remember my mum getting me to sign up to the Brunswick in the 80s or 90s so she could go. They didn't allow women as members so she couldn't be a member but, if I was, she could use the place. I don't remember if she was ever in there. she died soon after. Then again I could have got this confused with the Tindal club next door. The Brunswick has been a lot of things since - I think it's a restaurant or take-away now - but the strip club was the place the other side of the garage.

Back