• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brunswick Club, 464 Moseley Road

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
Does anyone have any information on the Brunswick Club, Moseley Road ?
I know it was an active club around 1930, but that's about it - any info whatsoever would be received with gratitude.

Ian.

Hi
My grandparents were members of the brunswick club i know it was a very large club with a huge billards room that also was used for childrens parties at christmas, they also had a fishing club there too. my mom used to be a cleaner there many years ago .

I was a member of the Brunswick Club from 1974 and up to about 12 months before it closed. I was club treasurer for a great many of those years. When the club first opened in the late 1800's it was a very affluent club that was started by local businessmen.

I know that even in the 60's it was quite a job to get accepted for membership. They must have relaxed the rules by the 70's when they accepted me.

In the eighties when most clubs & pubs started having financial troubles, the committee decided to dispense with the services of a steward and take on the job ourselves.

We all did a night each behind the bar free of charge. Silly me of course did two Thursday night and Sunday Night. I suppose it was good for me as I didn't drink those nights.

Phil

Cheers for the info Phil - I didn't realise that it was still a going concern that late on - you don't know when it closed do you ?

Ian.

Ian

I can't really say for sure, I didn't hang around for the death of the club. We were offered a way out of the mess the club was in and the rest of the committee turned it down. I think it was about 98/99. If its important I can find out.

Phil

No that's great Phil - didn't realise it was going that long, it was a going concern back in the late 1920's, which is where I was looking from.
Another one of my list of places to investigate.

Thank you.

Ian

Hello,
I know this thread closed some time ago but I have in my possession a large framed photograph of the 1922 committee of the Brunswck Club in Moseley, celebrating their 21st anniversary. This was one of several items salvaged by my father from a skip outside the premises about twenty years ago. The frame meaures 29 by 34 inches. If anyone would like this photograph I would be very happy to give it free to someone interested in the subject. I can be contacted at [email protected]
Regards
Catherine Taylor

Attachments

• Brunswick Club 1922 committee.jpg
    Brunswick Club 1922 committee.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Brunswick Club - detail.jpg
    Brunswick Club - detail.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 40
Hi Catherine

I could have had those photos over forty years ago when I was treasurer of the club and we were clearing the attics out. There were about forty large photos of ex committee members stored there. I asked someone I knew in the antique game to make us an offer for them, he offered us about £200. He was more interested in the individual photos because he said that the Americans purchased them to put on their walls and claim that they were their English ancestors.

As a committee we decided that they were worth more and we put them back into storage, if you don't find anybody that is interested then I should try selling them as the price has to be worth more than £5 each now after all this time.

does anyone have any information on the brunswick club, moseley road ?
I know it was an active club around 1930, but that's about it - any info whatsoever would be received with gratitude.

Ian.
i worked at a factory in redditch originally called wh smart they were pork butchers and had several shops in birmingham it was sold to walls meat who turned it into a cannery it eventually became mattesons canned meats . The personnel manager was a man by the name of !don marlow! He was also secretary of the brunswick club for many years .i worked on the maintenance crew in the factory and we were often sent to the brunswick club to do various jobs in the club and being an electrician myself i was often there .the factory closed in 1986 and don passed away soon after. The factory as wh smart was originally in wrentham st by the cinephone cinema on the bristol rd it moved to redditch in the early 1960's. Don was a very nice man and he was like a father to all the young girls and lads who worked there . He would employ young people who had been in trouble with the law give them a chance and get them back on the straight and narrow . He was also a great football player in his younger days . He walked with a limp as a result of a football injury ,so i was told .i hope there is somebody who remembers don marlow regards to all joe fitzpatrick

Hi Joe

It's possible we might have met at sometime, I knew Don Marlowe from before he worked at Smarts. I always considered him a personal friend and remember when he had the Old Moseley Arms in Tindal Street where he took a little back street pub and turned into the most popular pub in Balsall Heath. I knew Don for about 30 years and he was the person the word gentleman was invented to describe. Just a word about his legs it wasn't a footballing injury it happened one Christmas holiday time outside the Brunswick when he was helping to push start a members car and some idiot drove straight into the back of the car he was pushing trapping Don between both cars. Both legs were shattered and after they bolted his bones back together and fitted callipers he defied those who said he would never walk again. Sadly the accident resulted in him having to give up the Old Mo but when he was able to get about again he took the job at Smarts and took a more active interest in the Brunswick Club.

Here is a photo of Don in the members bar of the Brunswick with Bob Brooks club president behind him, if I remember correctly it was taken around Christmas 1975 or 76.

Attachments

• Don Marlowe and Bob Brooks.jpg
    Don Marlowe and Bob Brooks.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 40
I vaguely remember there was an application to turn the old Brunswick club into a Strip club despite a lot of protests from the locals. It must have been opened as some kind of club because there was a shooting in there. That was probably what finally closed the place. Do you know if there was a war memorial in there when it was the Brunswick?

I have answered this question on the thread dealing with the plaque. I was never aware of any such plaque at the Brunswick Club and I never heard of one and during my time at the club at one time or another I was in every part of the club from the cellars to the attic.

There were other clubs just as old in the locality, there was Tindal Street old boys next door and a couple of doors further away there was the Balsall Heath Labour Club.

I wonder if that Tindall Street school memorial board is kept inside? It looks in reasonably good shape. Noticeable is the shield of the City Arms and the Forward motto.

Yes Alan if you scroll down Janice’s link it says it’s kept inside on the original site The record claims it’s in ‘poor’ condition, looks like it’s been standing in a wet area, despite being inside. How lovely though to see so much information on the memorial,; school name, ranks of the men etc. Makes it so much easier to record.

In future, going to give memorials such as these their own thread as we might get more info about current whereabouts etc that way. Shall copy Tindall St memorial posts to its own thread. Viv.

There is now a Tindal Street memorial thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/tindall-street-school-memorial.49191/

Last edited:
I have answered this question on the thread dealing with the plaque. I was never aware of any such plaque at the Brunswick Club and I never heard of one and during my time at the club at one time or another I was in every part of the club from the cellars to the attic.

There were other clubs just as old in the locality, there was Tindal Street old boys next door and a couple of doors further away there was the Balsall Heath Labour Club.
Hi Joe

It's possible we might have met at sometime, I knew Don Marlowe from before he worked at Smarts. I always considered him a personal friend and remember when he had the Old Moseley Arms in Tindal Street where he took a little back street pub and turned into the most popular pub in Balsall Heath. I knew Don for about 30 years and he was the person the word gentleman was invented to describe. Just a word about his legs it wasn't a footballing injury it happened one Christmas holiday time outside the Brunswick when he was helping to push start a members car and some idiot drove straight into the back of the car he was pushing trapping Don between both cars. Both legs were shattered and after they bolted his bones back together and fitted callipers he defied those who said he would never walk again. Sadly the accident resulted in him having to give up the Old Mo but when he was able to get about again he took the job at Smarts and took a more active interest in the Brunswick Club.

Here is a photo of Don in the members bar of the Brunswick with Bob Brooks club president behind him, if I remember correctly it was taken around Christmas 1975 or 76.
hi phil
my father myself and my 2 elder brothers were members of the Brunswick club. I also had my wedding reception in the snooker room in 1976. don was a very good friend of my fathers.
col

Hi Col,

I'm sorry but I don't recall you, but it's possible that you might remember me in 1976 I think I might have been looking after the bar on Tuesday and Sunday nights with my wife Pauline. Something else Don talked me into. If your wedding was in the snooker room then it must have been near Christmas as that was the only time the tables were taken down, unless you paid for them to be taken down specially.

Hi Phil
My fathers name was james summers my brothers are Michael and brian, my Dad had been a member for many years he had also helped the club out financially at some point in the past as none of us had to pay subs because of it. Don made reference to it at some point but my dad never spoke about it. I can recall Charlie and George packer who also drank in there along with another guy named stevie Nicholls. My wedding was in December on a sunday night and the place was packed we didn't leave till around 3 in the morning and there was still people in there.
Col

Col

I think I remember your father and his mates, did they all used to drink at the bar in the far corner from the door? Did one or all of them live down Highgate way?

Col

Putting my thinking cap on and trying to remember I think I might be in error in saying that the Committee might have been taking turns serving behind the bar in 1976. I now realise it wa later than that and in 1976 Bridgit and Lionel (see attached photo) were still steward & stewardess. If that is so I have probably got the wrong person that I think was your father.

old snaps 012.jpg

Col

Putting my thinking cap on and trying to remember I think I might be in error in saying that the Committee might have been taking turns serving behind the bar in 1976. I now realise it wa later than that and in 1976 Bridgit and Lionel (see attached photo) were still steward & stewardess. If that is so I have probably got the wrong person that I think was your father.

View attachment 128146
Hi Phil
My Dad used to drink in there up until 77/78 when he was taken I’ll and didn’t get out much. I do remember Bridget and Lionel though. A great institution where we had a lot of good nights. I used it up until about 82 when we used to come in on a Sunday night
Colin

Col

On Sunday nights my wife and I would have probably been behind the bar by 1982, it used to be pretty quiet on Sunday night with most of the customers being in the snooker room and only about half a dozen in the bar. Mostly Jimmy Jennings and his mates, but having to be up for work Monday morning I used to close and lock up by 12.30 at the latest.

Col

On Sunday nights my wife and I would have probably been behind the bar by 1982, it used to be pretty quiet on Sunday night with most of the customers being in the snooker room and only about half a dozen in the bar. Mostly Jimmy Jennings and his mates, but having to be up for work Monday morning I used to close and lock up by 12.30 at the latest.
Hi Phil
I used to be up at 5.30 on mondays for work. Myself and my brothers all have wonderful memories of the place. also my elder brother can still remember the round for my dad and all his mates. It seemed that the bar only shut when the last person went home. If only there were such good places now.
colin

Col,

One thing about the clubs and pubs around that area is there was always a danger of getting locked in. Myself I have walked out of the Brunswick in broad daylight from the evening before, on many occasion.

Hi Col,

I'm sorry but I don't recall you, but it's possible that you might remember me in 1976 I think I might have been looking after the bar on Tuesday and Sunday nights with my wife Pauline. Something else Don talked me into. If your wedding was in the snooker room then it must have been near Christmas as that was the only time the tables were taken down, unless you paid for them to be taken down specially.
Hi Phil.. could you please tell me where exactly was the BRUNSWICK CLUB in Moseley.. l know it's gone Phil.. but what's even built on its site..or maybe you have the old address as in the road number.. you have posted some real good posts about it in the past.. so thats what i would be grateful to know just where exactly it was... thanks Phil...

Hi Phil.. could you please tell me where exactly was the BRUNSWICK CLUB in Moseley.. l know it's gone Phil.. but what's even built on its site..or maybe you have the old address as in the road number.. you have posted some real good posts about it in the past.. so thats what i would be grateful to know just where exactly it was... thanks Phil...
It used to be 464 Moseley Road. The building is still there but it's a Ladies Gym/Spa called Odara.

hi phil
my father myself and my 2 elder brothers were members of the Brunswick club. I also had my wedding reception in the snooker room in 1976. don was a very good friend of my fathers.
col
Hi.. could you please tell me where the BRUNSWICK CLUB was... nearest place to it..or the address..please...

Back