• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brunn Family ?

Wicklen

Can any one out there help me to make sense of some vague memories? My mother who was born on Longacre in 1906, and whose family were coal merchants and haulage contractors, worked for a family by the name of Brunn. I am not sure of the spelling because I understand that Mr Brunn is:star: French.
There were two sons by his first marriage and their mother may also have been French. However, after her death he married a second time to an English woman and there were no other children. Mr. Brunn owned and ran a café in the early to mid 1920s which I believe might have been on Nechells Green. The trouble is although my mother spoke of the Brunn couple with great affection, and was obviously very attached to them, I cannot remember their forenames or the names of the two sons. Does any one know any thing of the Brunn family and or the café?

hi Wiklen there was a coal merchant in Wharfdale rd Tyseley by the name of Bunn. This was in the 50s.

Hello Robert,
Thank you for your response the Brunn name may well be spelt different in French but not sure that Bunn is quite right - this family were into catering. Interestingly, he had friend, a French Chef, working at the Grand Hotel about 1926/28. But I cannot recall ever hearing his name.

This is possibly no connection to your Brunns.
In the 1910-1921 Kellys there is a coal dealer listed :
Mrs, Louisa Brunn, 86 Emily Street'.

She is not there in 1908, but a William Henry Brunn , a gun finisher in St Mary's Row is there, but he has disappeared by 1910. No other Brunns listed around then, so possibly he died and she started a coal business to support herself.
In 1932 the firm is run by William Brunn

Hi Wicklen, I haven't been able to piece all the info together(give me time) but there was a boy born in Birmingham in 1876 Julien Henri Brunn
I have no idea why he was called that his family appear to have no connection with France whatsoever, he has a sister Fanny and brother George so goodness knows where the French name came from.
His father was Joseph Greenfield Brunn born Liverpool to a mariner by the name of Bartholomew Brunn and Margaret Greenfield.
The younger Brunn family do not appear in census after 1881 when they are in Putney Road , handsworth. unless they are using another name but in 1901.
Margaret Brunn nee Greenfield is living in Duddeston.
Julien Henri appears to have anglisised his name to Julian Henry according to a record of his will on Ancestry.

Can any one out there help me to make sense of some vague memories? My mother who was born on Longacre in 1906, and whose family were coal merchants and haulage contractors, worked for a family by the name of Brunn. I am not sure of the spelling because I understand that Mr Brunn is:star: French.
There were two sons by his first marriage and their mother may also have been French. However, after her death he married a second time to an English woman and there were no other children. Mr. Brunn owned and ran a café in the early to mid 1920s which I believe might have been on Nechells Green. The trouble is although my mother spoke of the Brunn couple with great affection, and was obviously very attached to them, I cannot remember their forenames or the names of the two sons. Does any one know any thing of the Brunn family and or the café?
I am a dependent of this family, who still have members living in Birmingham. The French connection is correct. Joseph Bartholomew Brunn the father of Joseph Greenfield Brunn was born in Jersey in the Channel Islands to French parents. He was a mariner who married 3 times, first in Jersey, then to Elizabeth Greenfiled in Port of Liverpool; Joseph Greenfield Brunn was their son. The Brunn name was origi all Le Brun, but was anguished to Brunn.

William Henry Brunn was my great grandfather. His daughter (my grandmother) was Marie Brunn. I attach screenshot of my family tree.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211124-214603_Ancestry.jpg
    Screenshot_20211124-214603_Ancestry.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20211124-214544_Ancestry.jpg
    Screenshot_20211124-214544_Ancestry.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20211124-214616_Ancestry.jpg
    Screenshot_20211124-214616_Ancestry.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 10
Back