• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummy Pubs

TonyRob

I was born in Coleshill in 1954, and my parents lived with my grandparents in the Kingstanding Pub and then in the Bromford Pub near the racecourse. I don't remember much of the Kingstanding, but the Bromford was enormous , many rooms and on alot of ground, big bowling greens. My parents eventually got to be licensees at The Crown and Gunmakers, I do not know where these were. They then moved to Rugby and run the brand new Crow Pie. They did this for about 18 months then left. My grand parents were Frank and Doris Robinson, my parents were Ken and Valerie Robinson. Great memories, the pubs were big and busy, the roads quiet and not the choice of drinks that there are today.

I was born in Coleshill in 1954, and my parents lived with my grandparents in the Kingstanding Pub and then in the Bromford Pub near the racecourse. I don't remember much of the Kingstanding, but the Bromford was enormous , many rooms and on alot of ground, big bowling greens. My parents eventually got to be licensees at The Crown and Gunmakers, I do not know where these were. They then moved to Rugby and run the brand new Crow Pie. They did this for about 18 months then left. My grand parents were Frank and Doris Robinson, my parents were Ken and Valerie Robinson. Great memories, the pubs were big and busy, the roads quiet and not the choice of drinks that there are today.
Wow, I had to do a double take on reading your post there, TonyRob. I was born in 1963 and my parents lived with my grandparents (and me) in the Kingstanding pub! It was back then known as the Kingstanding Arms and Hotel. Grandad was Ron Williams. He died quite young, in his 40's from cancer. When he died my mum and dad (Denise and Keith) took over the pub and were the youngest licensees in Britain at the time...one of the Birmingham newspapers wrote an article about them, though I can't remember now, which one. I've got the clipping somewhere I think so if I find it maybe I'll post it here. It would be lovely to hear from anyone who used to go to the pub back then and remembers my grandparents or parents.

Back