• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've told you twice I sharnt tell you a second time!! Another was if someone was happy in what he was doing "He was in his oil tot" I know exactly what it means but God alone knows where it came from.

I hate the very breath (or was it breadth?) and sight of him, (or it). 'ear 'ee comes, Duffy Baldro. Nan said that to insult someone. Duffy Baldro I believe was a real person who was a bit simple, again to quote Nan.

Given that there is 1023 (when I commenced this post) posts in this thread this saying may have been submitted previously'

A visiting unt once referred to a 'Hyacinth Bucket' type neighbour as 'being kippers and curtains'. I think the statement is quite explanatory.

My Devonian wife often smiles when she hears Midlanders say 'ta ra a bit'.

My Nan used to refer to her bust and that of all the ladies on her side of the family as having kipper....well you know what.

Nick
It reminds me of the old days when women used to talk about each others and when they put posh curtons up
And spoke gentle voice ( oh take no notice or they might say she thinks she it but her house they are all kippers and. Curtons )
That was said quite often about the middle class, and that may be a true case as years ago I went to an house
Down in hall green by that mill and what I saw was a couple laying the table cloth and laying outknifes and forks
And a pot of am in the middle of the table and just bread and butter for tea only
And I emediately thought to myself (Yes it must be true )what they said about posh houses ,
Best wishes Alan,,Astonoian,,'',,,,

Well, Nan would say, "get the milk bottle of the table and put the milk jug out cos the vicar's coming to tea".

"Here comes the bride bow leggid and cock eyed, ere comes the vicar 20 inches thicker
Here comes the bride bow leggid and boss eyed, straight round the gasomitter and up t'other side!" She always sang the "straight round the gas omiter and up the other side," bit, if someone had bow legs and my poor mum was hoping no one understood especially the bow legged woman.
I always smile when I hear the wedding march and hear Nan's voice booming.

Yes Tim, and if a lady was bending over and the wind caught her skirt Nan would remark, yow can see what 'ers 'ad fer breakfast.

Livery Street.
A great phrase used by my mum too and I remember it well.
Livery Street = was much longer before the Queensway was built across it.

I'm sure we must have had these before ... but here goes ...
Up the Apples and Pairs.
Put wood int ole.

My dad would put me on his shoulders and say, "Up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire, in the land of nod", and I did exactly the same with my two boys.Paul

.......... my mom would always say she's showing next weeks washing...Brenda
Nan would say if a coat was rather long at the hem it was to keep her neck warm, and again if a lady was out without a coat on in high heels or was 'made up to the nines' nan would snort and say, 'an I bet er dow wash 'er neck'

I remember we gave mum a skirt and top that were quite modern and she liked them but Nan put the kybosh on it saying, 'yer mother's not 19 yer know!' and we were pleased when mum as she did on rare occassions piped up with 'an I'm not 90 yet either our muth!'

Hi Jayell
When we had to stay at our nan,s house in white house street which was my fathers mom because our mom was pregnant
Yet again and stayed in hospital before we all went up the stairs at 70 o'clock we had a cup of bournvita
She would virtually say what you have said up the hill you go now and go now before wee willy Winkle comes
So go strait to sleep we used to have a candle holder and a candle to give up light she still had those gas mantles around the house she never got her
Electric to later in years white house was one of the later street in Aston to get them changed
We had ours done before her and when they changed ours we was going bar my switching on and off all the time
The old man shouted at us if he caught us and when they took out our coal fire grate where we had to cook saupance and hang them in the fire
And they gave us a proper tiled grate we thought we was posh best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,

Hi Brenda,
And the reply from such a person,being female whom it was aimed that if they over heard ,(Ah yes but its all been paid for )
My dear ,Oh shut up you are all kippers and custard with fancy curtains
Astonian,,,,,Alan,,,,,

My Mother had an embarrassing moment at the Birmingham Hip when one of her groups went to a show where Jimmy Tarbuck
was appearing. They had good seats near the stage Mom was wearing a red hat and Jimmy Tarbuck kept on referring to the lady in the red hat....meaning the old saying "red hat no knickers". Mom must have gone red at show.

Nan had her dress blow over her head as she was disembarking from a wobbly boat on a trip with the Parish outing off St Michael's mount and the vicar was behind her as the wind gusted up and he cried "ooh Mrs........... !" (her name) and she thought and said later "thank got I had me clean britches on an not me religious ones!; and explained to me that her religious britches were her holy ones. She sid she always wore a clean pair of britches in case she got run over!

Am I obsessed by my Nan I wonder? She has been gone 16 years now. If a chap was skinny she would say she had seen more mayte on a butcher's 'ook. She once described chipolata sausages as, well.... little dogs' c@cks but that was in disgust when being served a meagre breakfast once. I was about 7 I think. Grandad wanted to crawl under the table of the AA hotel, where we had taken refuge.

No Nico you arn't obsessed just blessed that you had such a Nan.
My wife and I are always saying we should write down these old sayings of our Moms, Dads and others sayings while we can still remember them.
One of my Dad's sayings was "Lets do something rude like writing Bum on the wall, then smack it"

That's funny Tim. You haven't seen my amount of 'Nan' posts I expect. She would be pleased she was remembered though. Trying to think of another saying or I will be off topic. Ah yes, bowel openers and cow's turd. Prunes and custard.

Two days ago on a bitter cold blustery wet day ..(.yes we do get such days this time of year).. while l was volunteering at the local hospital l made a comment to my junior volunteer (a nice young man of 17) that someone needs to put the wood in the hole after the automatic doors open, those doors do not close as fast as they open and being as my desk is right by them it was really getting cold, well he gave me the strangest shocked look and l had to explain what l meant ...so l went on to educate him of some other brummie sayings and he wrote them down...who knows we might get a Texan drawling some of our everyday brummie sayings....Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back