• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
That spounds about rigth. Not heard it but my Mom used to comment "Ay? Horses eat it".

That's the one Astonite. If I were to whistle in front of Aunt Nell she said something like "A whistleing woman and a crowing hen would bring the devil out of his den".

Remember that one well Bernie. I still say it to Pete as he has a habit of saying that to me but I think he might just require a hearing aid?. Jean.

another old saying when one is coughing profusely
and in a fit of coughing cough it up it may be a gold watch one never knows
have a nice day every body best wishes and i am off to brum to see my barber phil who fills me in all the gossip in and arond the are of pubs and my topic will be
whats wrong with the bromford as to closeure Astonian

Our Mom used to say when coughing, 'I've got a crumb on me liver'. One of Dad's favourites was 'Guy squints' if something suprised him. Goodness knows where that came from.
Lynda

Hi Lynne, talking about ablutions, when I was about 4ish, I was sent to have my photo taken by a professional photographer,it was quite a warm day, all of a sudden something started to run down my forehead, it was the margarine mom had used to stick my hair down with!

lol astonite..im in stitches here....they had an answer to everything in those days..dont surpose you have that photo do you....

lyn

Hi Lynne, haven't seen the photo for years but if I can find it Ill let you see it, as you say moms always had an answer, like 'GO AND PEE ON YOUR FEET ' if you had chilblains

hi guys
just to follow up on my mentioning to the barbers my mate phil said the the same thimg a i had said but what i also can add its the case
of punters lacking the pub because my old friend liam owned the bromford but to say he had it cornered because he also owns the one down the rd which is more the estate pub i have been there for him many years ago it was a biggish pub and it was a white pinted so coming out of the bromford pub on the front and turn left at the trfic lights and march right down the rd its on your left hand side of the rd
where the rds fork left and its up there sowith the ove heads on the bromford pubheclose it downhe still gets his punterswhomflitted in betwen
also he told me the broadway pub was robbed and the royal george was robbed by bandits including the drinkers
so whats going on in brum these days he did sy i got out of it in time and i bumped into gus taroni whom i had not seen for years
getting his no 1 hair cut and anoher saying if is not mentioned is if you leave plenty of your food on the plate what your mother puts up for and you leave dad used to say youve been eating sweets and your eyes are bigger tan your belly Astonian

I am reading a book writtne by Stuart Maconie (of Radio 2 fame) - in it he claims that 'Mithering' is a uniquely Manchester word. I have news for him not only is it a word I grew up with but one that my Glasgow born wife is fully aware of.

My wifes Granma ALWAYS dunked her feet in the `Guzunda` to cure chilblains, which everyone seemed to suffer from in those winters long ago. Does anyone remember `Grannies Tartan`which was caused through sitting too close to the open fire with bare legs? Another old habit was plunging the red hot poker into the white enamel jug of stout to `take the chill off`. Incidentally, the first drink of a cup of tea was always from the saucer !

Yes, Doug - I am told my gt.grandma used to put a red hot poker into her stout to warm it as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back