• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a saying but forgive me if I have my days mixed up. Friday night's dream Saturday told no matter how old. Jean.
A dream on Friday Saturday told will always come true be it ever so old, Is this the one you mean Jean

I believe it is red and green, as they are colour opposites ... however, if the EXACT opposite is achieved, it often works well.

Red & Green, it comes from our nautical history as an Island race, if you see Red and Green you are seeing both Port & starboard navigation lights of a ship heading directly toward you...which is not good, it also applies to aircraft. the blue and green is i think something to do with fashion.

It was "yellow and green should never be seen" but I find it a wonderful combination, Graham.

Used for loosening earwax as I remember..... warm the olive oil bottle in hot water, apply a few drops down yer lughole, and pack out with cotton wool. Voila. Works everytime. Have had the same bottle for 35 years! Regards, Fairport

When blacking our gate as a lad,I was always told..."use a bit of elbow grease".

Believe it or not i used to use Elbow grease when i was a metal polisher !!!! you could buy it at Cannings . I dont know what came first, the product or the saying. Max

In this scenario my old Nan would use "he's been a bu**er up the back all morning" . Never once understanding what she was actually saying...we still use it today, but only within the family.

My father used the word all of the time and Bug..y , he didnt know what it meant either. Strange how such horrible swear words came to mean so little, and no longer offend.
i suspect that with its constant usage on Tv and in the streets that the F word will ultimately go the same way. Some years back The Evening mail were asking for new swear words as the old ones were loosing there potency, the most popular one was Peodo as in paedophile. Max

Oooh, my Mom says that, "wallop Mrs Cox, your mother's won a duck". I thought it was just one of my Mom's daft sayings, I didnt realise other people knew it as well.

The original quotation was, "Up she goes and down she goes, Wallop Mrs Cox!" but other than a reference to it on radio's "Quote - Unquote" I can't find out its history.
More then the unfortunate Cox female slipping on ice or a banana skin, I would assume - something political, perhaps?

But I wonder where my mother got the "your mother's won a duck" from?? I suppose each family adds or changes things over time eh?? It's fascinating isn't it?

We always called the Drs " The Croakers " i know quite a few people that do . Max

... Wonder why the doc was a quack? ...

Wikipedia has a page on the subject (as usual).

I don't know if this one's been on before: "gone for a burton". I thought of it this morning for some reason, for the first time in many years. Is it a Brummie expression? [Note added: yes it has been on before, and I even commented on it! My memory's not what it used to be!?!? But does anyone know its origin?]

Last edited:
Wikipedia has a page on the subject (as usual).

Very good Thylacine! I was just about to add that here in Belgium and Holland we also use the word 'kwak' when referring to a dubious doctor and I see from your Wikipedia link that the English use of the word has it's origins in the Dutch/Flemish language. We still use the word 'kwakzalver' in our everyday language.

The word "quack" derives from the archaic word "quacksalver," of Dutch origin (spelled kwakzalver in contemporary Dutch), meaning "boaster who applies a salve."[3]

Graham.

My mom used to say "It's a load of cod's wallop" if someone was fibbing. Thanks Thylacine and Graham for the explanation of quack. Jean.

I don't know if this one's been on before: "gone for a burton". I thought of it this morning for some reason, for the first time in many years. Is it a Brummie expression? [Note added: yes it has been on before, and I even commented on it! My memory's not what it used to be!?!? But does anyone know its origin?]

Someone answering this question on Answers.com says the following:
"The phrase actually appeared in print, for the first time, on the 30 August 1941 in the New Statesman. It was first used when referring to the death in action of pilots in WWII.
From where did the expression spring? Who knows. Was it derived from a Spanish Burton (a kind of complex pulley arrangement for Royal Navy ship stowage - see https://compass.seacadets.org/pdf/nrtc/sn/14067_ch4.pdf and see p.34); used figuratively as fitted for a suit from the tailors Montagu Burton - eg. as one would say 'he's being fitted for a wooden overcoat' i.e. a coffin; beer as produced by a brewery located in Burton-on-Trent (this area is actually a well known brewing town in the Midlands); is it rhyming slang based on the name of that town? 'Went' - 'he's at Burton-on-Trent [went]'; based on the name of the town, going for a beer , it could be said 'he's gone for a Burton'. It's interesting to note that the brewing company Burton Brewery Co Ltd closed its doors in 1935. It was a minor league player in the beer stakes before it 'went for a burton' so was not missed on its closing down."

Another reader comment, this time on Jeremy Alderton's Cockney Rhyming Slang dictionary page says:
"The phrase "Gone for a Burton" derives from a pre-war advertising poster campaign for beer - Burton's best bitter - which showed a crowded workplace with someone obviously missing. The punch line was: "He's gone for a Burton", implying the person had skipped off down the pub for a quick pint. In World War Two, during the Battle of Britain, the phrase was revived by RAF officers as a piece of black humour. Noticing blank spaces at their mess tables in the evening the RAF types would joke of their lost comrades: "He's gone for a Burton"."

My maternal Grandfather ( who had an excellent way with words ) would install in one the importance of paying a debt on time with " Don't be too long gone for the wood" Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back