• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie Ghosts

I can't say I have ever had any paranormal experiences in 81 years either, John. The ruins of Avenbury church (near Bromyard) have also been reported as haunted for very many years, but having paternal great garndparents that come from there, I used to visit regularly the churchyard and the ruins when I lived in the UK. Always quiet as a grave! :)

Maurice

I have not witnessed ghosts but there are very many reports of haunted houses, places etc. Those here who were in the RAF will no doubt of heard about a stations 'duty pilot'. I have not watched the recent tv programmes about hauntings: I suspect, like so much 'reality' and 'conspiracy' rubbish it also far fetched - baloney would be a simpler word!

Years ago I had to go into a disused stockroom which was once a workroom, I thought I saw a man in a brown coat overall (cowgown) but I knew there was no-one around. I described him and the staff said it was a man who worked there years ago!!
rosie.

one night.my 2 dogs were barking and going mad up stairs. just after i move here. i went up stairs to see what the row about. in the corner of the room stood a man, we looked at one another then he vanished. next day i told the postoffice woman across the road. when i explained she said it was the ghost of the man who lived there before. he hanged him self it never happend again.i moved 6 years later but others have seen him. brummie or welsh ghosts it dont matter thet still make the same mess in my pants

I can understand the views here. The problem for northern Europeans, usually, is that everything has to be black or white. Southern Europeans are, generally, less idealistic.

Alan,

Sorry in all my discussions with Greeks, I have never heard the subject of ghosts or paranormal things mentioned, so as yet I can neither support nor refute your statement for this part of the world. However, you've posed an interesting challenge there and when I am in an appropriate situation, I will endeavour to raise that subject.

Maurice

I was always interested in reading about the supernatural, but never believed in it. However, nearly 40 years ago I was on the way to my in-laws' house in West Bromwich, round about midnight. Driving through a nearby estate I suddenly slammed on the brakes as a woman holding a child was in the road. I was totally convinced I'd hit her, got out of the car, and saw nothing in the road. It shook me up very badly, and it was only later I realised there'd been no sound of a collision. I was sober, before anyone asks. The next morning I went back, and there were my skid-marks in the road. I might have dismissed this as just my imagination, but some time afterwards I met a lady who said she'd had the same experience in the same spot - and this was without any prompting from me, when I happened to mention in conversation the name of a pub which was close to where I had my own experience. That really shook me up. With the help of Nicholas, who posts here, we did some investigation but came up with nothing. I still don't actually believe in ghosts, and can't in any way account for what I saw.

G

I've never seen a ghost, as far as I know, but I've had a few funny experiences. The one that rattled me most wasn't in Brum, I'm afraid, but Germany.
I was walking back to camp, late one night, and as you often get, when walking a long distance, I was "miles away". Nearing the barracks the road crossed over the rail sidings where we used to load our light armoured vehicles. Suddenly my hair stood on end, giving me quite a fright.
Our barracks was named Hohne and stood next to a village called Belsen. It was a year or two after this incident before I learned that the sidings had been used to bring the prisoners to the Belsen concentration camp.
When it comes to believing in the supernatural, I'm sitting on the fence.

I have said here that I have not seen a ghost. but I believe I once saw a ghost ship.
One summer evening, towards dusk, in 1976 - a year of very many fires in woodlands, fields etc. - I was near the mouth of the River Dart. The gorse, bracken and grasslands to the immediate west had been on fire, decent acreage was involved. I went down to the small pump that was set into a small creek just to check on the person operating it to see if he needed help, petrol or whatever. He asked to go for a few minutes to answer a call of nature. In the minutes he was away I saw a galleon, with just one light on the stern, sail out of the river and into the English Channel. When asked he said he did not see it. I walked to the top of the hill, some 100ft. or so higher, to join those dealing with the fire which was now, more or less out. As this was a good vantage point, overlooking the western part of Lyme Bay, I thought others would have seen the galleon. Of twenty or so none actually saw it. I resigned myself to thinking I was the sole observer - maybe briefly the clock had been put back a few centuries. :worried:
Dartmouth, in the seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, was no stranger to galleons.

1545406651083.pngEl Galleon (Spanish). This vessel was built this century in 2009. I have seen her in Brixham, this year, and in the Great Lakes.
1545406838051.png Mayflower II. Built in Brixham 1956, sailed to the United States, where she stayed, in 1957. I was present at the launch. Both my father and father-in-law were involved in its construction.

I've never seen a ghost, as far as I know, but I've had a few funny experiences. The one that rattled me most wasn't in Brum, I'm afraid, but Germany.
I was walking back to camp, late one night, and as you often get, when walking a long distance, I was "miles away". Nearing the barracks the road crossed over the rail sidings where we used to load our light armoured vehicles. Suddenly my hair stood on end, giving me quite a fright.
Our barracks was named Hohne and stood next to a village called Belsen. It was a year or two after this incident before I learned that the sidings had been used to bring the prisoners to the Belsen concentration camp.
When it comes to believing in the supernatural, I'm sitting on the fence.
I`ve been to Belsen, early 60`s i didn`t see any ghosts but i felt a great sense of melancholy. As for you maypolebaz,, as an ex squaddie myself i`ve walked back to barracks many a time having supped a few bevvies, & one time i thought i saw someone chasing me & i was trying to recollect in the morning about what i thought i saw. When i went for breakfast i saw a bike propped up against the wall, & suddenly it all came back to me. I had "borrowed" this bike from outside the guardroom & i guess it must have been the owner chasing after me!! That German beer has got a lot to answer for.;)

I`ve been to Belsen, early 60`s i didn`t see any ghosts but i felt a great sense of melancholy. As for you maypolebaz,, as an ex squaddie myself i`ve walked back to barracks many a time having supped a few bevvies, & one time i thought i saw someone chasing me & i was trying to recollect in the morning about what i thought i saw. When i went for breakfast i saw a bike propped up against the wall, & suddenly it all came back to me. I had "borrowed" this bike from outside the guardroom & i guess it must have been the owner chasing after me!! That German beer has got a lot to answer for.;)

Having "supped a few bevvies" you rode a bike ?
I stand in awe of you Sir !!

I well remember that Mayflower II, Alan, in Brixham, when we went on holiday fo Babbacombe with my late wife's sister & family. That must have been a few years ago, probably in the late 1960s or early 1970s.

Maurice

Maurice, if you saw a ship, resembling a galleon in Brixham, after 1957 then it was the replica Golden Hind. It is built on the keel of a London Thames barge. It is still there in Brixham harbour - a big tourist attraction. There is another Golden Hind (Golden Hinde II, on The Thames) but that, I believe, is a seaworthy vessel.

Somewhere I have a first day cover carried on the Mayflower II voyage
Mayflower Mail, probably Mike. The mail was posted from the ship. We had letters from some of the crew. We gave them to the local museum along with other Mayflower II memorablia. 2020 is an Anniversary Year this way.

Hi, Lyn,

I read your story (#143) and found it very interesting. I wonder who that figure was and why it kept appearing that way.

Regards, Ray T.

hi ray since my post 143 was posted in 2008 in have since found out that yes indeed the roman road was only mins away from my street and also as said previously ive also found out that one of our members who also lived in my st but a bit further up saw the same thing after we moved from the street...i do go down the old end quite often and there are new houses there now..i can pinpoint to a couple of feet where my old house once stood but find it odd that the new house built on the ground where mine was has been up for sale at least 3 times during the past 7 years...i wonder why that is:scream:

lyn

Alan,

I bow to your superior local knowledge. I know it was a sailing boat, beyond that it was one of the rainiest holidays I have ever been on and the sun rarely came out. We were lumbered with two lots of young kids and I can't say I was sorry to get home! :)

Maurice

Alan,

I bow to your superior local knowledge. I know it was a sailing boat, beyond that it was one of the rainiest holidays I have ever been on and the sun rarely came out. We were lumbered with two lots of young kids and I can't say I was sorry to get home! :)

Maurice
I am quite familiar with the vessel Maurice. I was at two fires on it some years ago. A monkey died in one and birds in the other.

Back