• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie Ghosts

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Hi, Lyn,

I read your story (#143) and found it very interesting. I wonder who that figure was and why it kept appearing that way.

Regards, Ray T.

hi ray since my post 143 was posted in 2008 in have since found out that yes indeed the roman road was only mins away from my street and also as said previously ive also found out that one of our members who also lived in my st but a bit further up saw the same thing after we moved from the street...i do go down the old end quite often and there are new houses there now..i can pinpoint to a couple of feet where my old house once stood but find it odd that the new house built on the ground where mine was has been up for sale at least 3 times during the past 7 years...i wonder why that is:scream:

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Alan,

I bow to your superior local knowledge. I know it was a sailing boat, beyond that it was one of the rainiest holidays I have ever been on and the sun rarely came out. We were lumbered with two lots of young kids and I can't say I was sorry to get home! :)

Maurice

Radiorails

master brummie
Alan,

I bow to your superior local knowledge. I know it was a sailing boat, beyond that it was one of the rainiest holidays I have ever been on and the sun rarely came out. We were lumbered with two lots of young kids and I can't say I was sorry to get home! :)

Maurice
I am quite familiar with the vessel Maurice. I was at two fires on it some years ago. A monkey died in one and birds in the other.

rosie

brummie
I was "channel-hopping" yesterday and caught part of a program about celebrities who had ghostly experiences. A famous lady said she had stayed at the Burlington Hotel in Birmingham,( formerly the Midland Hotel). During the night she heard footsteps on the floor above her, it disturbed her sleep. she mentioned to the concierge next morning that the person was not considerate only to be told there were empty attics above her!
rosie.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
around 1997.i went in nechells baths with a man from the council.to collect some items. it was all shuttered up and locked.when we went to the swimming pool we saw a woman standing by the old diving boards.. then she was gone. it was weird so we both left quickly.

Nicholas

master brummie
I was "channel-hopping" yesterday and caught part of a program about celebrities who had ghostly experiences. A famous lady said she had stayed at the Burlington Hotel in Birmingham,( formerly the Midland Hotel). During the night she heard footsteps on the floor above her, it disturbed her sleep. she mentioned to the concierge next morning that the person was not considerate only to be told there were empty attics above her!
rosie.

I was looking for this episode on Youtube, after hearing about it, a shortish while ago, Rosie. (In vain, however!!) I believe it was Edwina Curry who reported that experience?

Nicholas

master brummie
around 1997.i went in nechells baths with a man from the council.to collect some items. it was all shuttered up and locked.when we went to the swimming pool we saw a woman standing by the old diving boards.. then she was gone. it was weird so we both left quickly.

Thanks for posting, mw0njm!! Can you possibly offer a description of the figure, please?

paul stacey

master brummie
I have written before in this thread, about weird happenings in my life, but there was was one occasion that I had forgotten, whilst on "Arctic Training ", in the 60's in Norway, Vos to be precise, we were on a scouting patrol, on ski's, when it came on hard to snow. It was a total "White out", we eventually came across a small cabin. The Norwegians cleared the snow and we got inside, grateful to be out of the wind. We lit the stove, and got comfortable, looking round the place looked as if it had been deserted for some time, on the ram shackled shelf's there were old tins of stuff, and we found some newspapers near the stove, we could't read Norse, but the dates were from the 30's. Any way a peaceful night ensued, and we packed up and left in the morning. When back a base, I was talking to Lt Arno Signassund NDF, and he said it peculiar because the hut was't on any of the Military maps, which normally they all were. Some years later I met up with him at Narvik, and I talked about that bad snow storm, he told me casually that the strange thing was nobody could locate that hut ever again!!! Paul

Nicholas

master brummie
Thank you for sharing Paul Stacey!! I've heard quite a few stories of seemingly 'disappearing buildings' over the years - including an example from nearby Stourbridge, it seems!!

Ghosts aside though, Paul... I certainly envy the scenes / experiences you describe here, it has to be said!!

paul stacey

master brummie
thanks Nick, and all, , grey cells weak now at 73 odd,years. Never thought anything of that time for some 50 years now, this thread brought it all back, glad you enjoyed it. Paul

JonnyH

proper brummie kid
Hi. Just found this thread, and although I am probably more sceptical than not, I have experienced a few things during my time that make me wonder. I worked for a while at Selly Oak Hospital, and occasionally worked nights as the crew to the internal ambulance. Part of our duties included locking the various outlying buildings and one in particular, I think it was J Block if memory serves, we used to go upstairs, switch of all the lights and go down to lock the main doors. By the time we had got back in the ambulance all of the lights would be turned back on again despite two of us checking all doors and windows and verifying that the building was empty. This would happen on a regular basis. Although I never saw her, apparently a "grey lady" was responsible, people who saw her thought she was dressed as an old fashioned matron type figure. I also worked at the old QE hospital which is built on a roman fortress and several colleagues reported seeing roman soldiers at different times during my time there. A colleague of mine worked nights and one night he was crossing the link corridor between east and west blocks on the second floor, by the old max/facial dept. and was grabbed around the throat and actually had marks on his neck. Perhaps the most compelling experience for me was when I took my girlfriend (now wife) to Eastbourne where I lived for a while. I took her to Beachy Head one evening to see the new viewing station that had been built and as we walked down the path, just as it was dusk and starting to get dark, we passed a bench and I carried on going talking to my girlfriend thinking she was behind me, but when I looked round she had stopped at the bench. When I asked her what was wrong, she said she was talking to the old lady sitting on the bench, although there was nobody there. When we got back to my Nan's where we were staying, she chuckled as apparently this is quite a well known spirit. Another experience which I posted about elsewhere on the site, was when I worked at Beeches Management Centre in Bournville. We used to cater for all sorts of organisations for residential conferences, and as managers we took turns to lock the building at the end of the week. The centre consisted of an original house with several extensions added over the years. I used to have to walk through the old house to get to new wing and other buildings to check security, turn off lights etc. In the old house I would always have the feeling of being watched, although I never actually saw anything/body. One day a delegate from one of the conferences told us that he was a psychic medium and that he sensed the presence of a first world war soldier which would tie in with the history of the building being used as a hospital during WWI although I wasn't aware of that at the time.

Nicholas

master brummie
Hi. Just found this thread, and although I am probably more sceptical than not, I have experienced a few things during my time that make me wonder.......

Thank you for sharing in such detail, JonnyH...!! Much appreciated!! Sceptics make the best witnesses, by far.......

Strangely - despite having been an outpatient at the QE in the past, it's only been in the last 12 months that I'd heard about the 'Roman' connections, I must admit!! Rolls eyes!! Someone had happened to mention to me, on social media, that there were related 'ghost stories' too......!

I'd not heard of an 'old lady ghost' associated with Beachy Head, but there is a long-standing legend concerning some 'negative' influence, attached to the region, that supposedly causes people to leap to their death, at times!? I remember reading quite a bit on this topic in the past: hardly 'objective' research, however, from what I can recall?

JonnyH

proper brummie kid
Hi Nicholas, my pleasure. The negative influence at Beachy Head is purportedly a "Black Monk" who, as you say, encourages troubled souls to jump. Legend has it he was expelled from a nearby monastery, maybe Alfriston, and prowls Beachy Head to exact some form of revenge. There is also a lady dressed in Victorian attire who is often seen to jump over the edge. Having lived down there for a while and visited the area regularly, there is definitely a vibe there but whether that is because you are subconsciously aware of the history of the place I don't know.

Re: the QE, before the site was redeveloped, approaching from the large visitor car park there was a building called the Postgraduate Medical Centre. This was on top of a hill but if you looked closer, the hill was terraced in classic roman fortress style. Most of the sightings of roman soldiers that I recall took place around the radiotherapy department which was in the area at the top of the main corridor closest to the Postgrad Centre and thus the fort area. Although I stress that I personally never witnessed anything but knew several colleagues who did and remember one particular incident when one of the cleaning staff went to service the department on a saturday lunchtime and came back really shook up claiming to have seen a centurian standing guard at the top of the corridor.

Nicholas

master brummie
Thank you very much for your reply, JonnyH!

I remember first reading about the Beachy Head matter as a youngish child, I believe... but it's a topic that seems to have greatly 'disappeared' from most paranormal literature in more recent decades, perhaps? It's been so long (since I remember seeing it) that I couldn't rightly recall much of the story associated with such sightings / experiences, I'm afraid.....

Typically, I don't have to visit the QE any more, otherwise I would have viewed the place / locality with considerable interest on any future appointments!! Chuckle!!