• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie Achievers.... Graham Webb

Major Nicholls

Apollo, (Langs?)

No unfortunately I never did get round to 'Major Nicholls's' shop, though the name was legendry in light weight cycle frames. There were only so many hours in a day, and what with working, training and racing I didn't have much time for socializing.

Very interesting to hear that you actually worked there, you must have some very valuable experiences and stories to tell? Did you meet any of the well known cyclists, many good riders used those bikes, and who were the men or man behind this name? I hope that you have written everything down so that we can all enjoy them with you. If not now is the time.

Graham.

Last edited:
You tube video. [ame="https://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=FA7YLJSaMaE"]YouTube - Graham Webb world cycling champion 1967[/ame]

i used to cycle with Graham but i soon gave up his easy pace was to fast for me i had no one to talk to he would be gone

Thank you all for your comments and for looking. Sorry for any spelling mistakes, but the clip was made by my West Flemish son-in-law. He was very determined to make a clip and I think he made a good job of it. Thanks Nico.

Graham Webb is a Champion Cyclist, a World Champion no less (and we have few of those) And a Sparkbrook lad. One of our own. Decorated TWICE by the King of Belgium. Graham has this week translated for me my grandfathers birth certificate, from Old Flemish, an achievement in itself. I do not follow cycle racing, so if he had not done this for me, I would not have known about his cycling achievements. I looked on Birmingham's Walk of Stars, and apparently Cliff Richard (definately not born in Birmingham) is being considered, because he has played many dates in Birmingham! Can we please get behind our own. Anyone that reads this, go to Birmingham Walk of Stars Broad Street, and if you feel the same, please nominate GRAHAM WEBB.
Ann

Anne, by all means carry on with your campaign for the walk of stars, but I should point out that the people who decide who goes onto the walk are the business men who run the the clubs on Broad St and the City Centre, I wish you well. Jim

But if we don't nominate GRAHAM WEBB in the first place we will never know. Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by postie
Anne, by all means carry on with your campaign for the walk of stars, but I should point out that the people who decide who goes onto the walk are the business men who run the clubs on Broad St and the City Centre, I wish you well. Jim

Jim, I have been up against greater odds before than a few 'spivs' on Broad Street!

But if we don't nominate GRAHAM WEBB in the first place we will never know. Ann

Well said Ann, that's the stuff that ant ate before he broke that billion dollar dam.

That's right Ann.

Before any nit-pickers kick in, I know that it was a ram.Lol.

Ann I'll IM you with my email address so that I can help you with any further translations, no matter where I am on this great ball of fire.

I was a member of a Birmingam cycling club that had Tommy Godwin as president, and we put forward a request that Tommy Godwin should be awarded a knighthood as the best Birmingham bike racer ever. I made myself very unpopular by saying that Graham Webb was the best as he won a World Championship ! And there has been other equally succesfull Brummy bike racers; Mick Bennet (Olympic Bronze) Stan Jones(Tour de Frnace rider) Bob Maitland(Tour de France rider, British champion)

Malcog, once again welcome to the forum and glad to see you found this thread, Graham.

Birmingham Racing Cyclists Club badge 1966.

Back