• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brum pub database - progress

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
Progress Report
The results of 10 days' work are that I have transcribed on to an EXCEL database the names and addresses of pubs and names of publicans for the years 1857, 1862, 1868, 1873, 1878 and am now on 1883. Not allowing for double-counting because of the frequent street renaming and renumbering, I have now have 1146 pub names and addresses, and at the moment, don't have a clue how many publicans' names I have - probably about three times as many.
Fairly soon, I intend to shuffle the list around, sorting by address rather than by pub name. That should help identify changes of pub name and to a certain extent street names. To ease this operation, where pubs were named or renamed Old ... or New ... , I have entered these amendments after the main pub name. I think I will do the same with street names, putting Upper ... , Lower, Old ... and New ... after the main name. This will I hope show up duplications and anomalies more clearly.
My broad intention is to continue with the years 1890, 1895, 1900, 1908, 1913, 1940, 1943, 1956 - I have classified trade lists and street directories for those years, of which I have copies here. If anyone has any lists for the 1920s and 30s, and after 1956, and would like to send me a copy, I should be very grateful, as I would like to extend the database. It does not include beerhouses, which were always treated separately from fully-licensed pubs in the dirstectories, with no distinction between on- and off-licences, although there was a big difference in reality. Moreover the directories hardly ever included the names of on-licensed beerhouses, so they can only be identified by address and licensee. I started off putting beer retailers in the main list with pubs, but there were more of them than fully-licensed houses, so I separated them and Have done 1857 and part of 1862. This is much more tedious, and there is vast bulk of data to go through. Perhaps later.
Peter

Just over three months later what's the progress? Well,I have done quite a lot, but I am still unfamiliar with the Microsoft Excel programme which I have been using. I started putting pub names from the 1858 directory list which was in alphabetical order, and inserted the next new names as I found in the same alphabetical sequence. So far so good. While many pubs closed, others changed their name, and I wanted to sort them by Address (street name first, then number), to identify the duplications. I kept finding that it was quite easy to sort a single column of data without changing any others. (I have previously used the AppleMac database programme which sorts all the data by default, and never had problems). So I kept having to scrap what I'd just sorted and retrieve what I had before. Alas I didn't always succeed and I have months of work which I can't be confident in.
MEANWHILE, I became very engrossed in the excellent 1841 Pigott directory which is the first to give full street indexes, while I had already got a copy of the superb map of 1838-1840 published by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge in 1839 - 1840, and subsequently snapped up CDs of the 1841 Census. SO, I have set up a sound database of the 900-odd pubs and beerhouses in the 1841 directory, and have set up a simpler street map traced from the SDUK map, on which I can mark the location of each. AND I am going through the Census returns, setting up a separate database listing pubs and beerhouses, licensees and everyone who spent that one special night in 1841 on the premises. This is quite laborious but very fascinating, but I'm not half-way through that yet. You pick up so many pointers to what everyday life was really like, but it is hard to concentrate on the one topic alone. Plenty to keep me relatively quiet for a few months!
Peter

That's a great project you're working on, Peter. Just keep thinking about the satisfaction you will derive from the completed database, it will help you through this laborious task. Frequent 'days off' will also alleviate RSI symptoms and aid concentration.

All the best with it! O0

Yes, Peter, good luck with the monumental task. It's something I'm certain I would never be able to stick to. I can well imagine the interesting tangents that must tempt you along the way. More power to your elbow, wrist and anything else necessary to complete the task. O0

Back