• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Books: Brum and the brummies book by Carl Chinn

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI GUYS
On the subject of carl chinns book the other day i went into a book shop in bromsgrove and found a couple of old boks by carl chinn
and i would like to recomend it to you its a glossie book and its signed by him as well with is signiture and its well packed with glossie pictures of familys from across the aston and surronding birminghm with there family stories of the yester years and the war years
i certainly have gained some knowledge from it and with people useing the slang expressions of yester years of true brummies
Also i had manage to find a book by michael minton another glossie book jamed packed with info;
of almost every air raid in brum and its lists are endless and it gives you te name of every company and its personal even indisional members of the public from the first page through until the last page its an icrediable book [ they are this book by michael is called HEROS OF THE BIRINGHAM AIR RAIDS ;
I Can highly recommend these two fab boooks and may i reomend the book shop which is in the high street of bromsgrove as i go thee from time to time
i seen another book on the shelf which i am hoping to get on monday priced at seven pounds but and written by some other person ;
but i really recommend these two books by carl and mike minton ; they are a yes ; yes ;must have best wishes Astonian

Astonian...............Have just ordered Mike Minton's book from Amazon .Just over £10.00 inc postage, So Let's hope it's as good as you say!! But £10 is not an awful lot to spend on my beloved City !

Hello
I am in Australia, I have just gone on to Amazon to find Mintons book and they are offering books new and old starting at $40, before postage

Where did you get yours for 10 pounds?

Down under Bought it from Amazon (UK.) Would love to be in Australia for your summer! Could read the book on a veranda during the evening with a nice drink or two. I had a lovely holiday there 10yrs ago, I cold have stayed for ever!!!

Sorry to say we are in the middle of a bush fire, I have taken my grandchildren from Mundaring. The fire is North/East of Mundaring we can see the smoke from the back veranda. Houses lost in Parkerville/Stoneville/Mt Helena. My daughter has made sure the pool is full in case the waters vacs and others need it. We can see the planes. Trouble is, flames are very high and throwing embers 150 metres ahead. I live in Swan View and fire engines going up near by to another fire near the national park. We are safe and so far only death from a heart attack. So very hot the past few days and very windy. In the Hills of Perth we rely a lot on volunteer fire people who come out for all types of emergencies as well as normal fire fighters. Thank God for them!! People from surrounding areas are offering shelter for people and Horses, dogs, cats and other animals.

Sorry to say we are in the middle of a bush fire, I have taken my grandchildren from Mundaring. The fire is North/East of Mundaring we can see the smoke from the back veranda. Houses lost in Parkerville/Stoneville/Mt Helena. My daughter has made sure the pool is full in case the waters vacs and others need it. We can see the planes. Trouble is, flames are very high and throwing embers 150 metres ahead. I live in Swan View and fire engines going up near by to another fire near the national park. We are safe and so far only death from a heart attack. So very hot the past few days and very windy. In the Hills of Perth we rely a lot on volunteer fire people who come out for all types of emergencies as well as normal fire fighters. Thank God for them!! People from surrounding areas are offering shelter for people and Horses, dogs, cats and other animals.

Astonia.
Have got the book 'Heroes of the Birmingham Air Raids' but what is the name of the other book you mention, I may have it as I have a majority of Carl Chin's books, tks.

Hi brookieboy
I bought the book called brum and brummies its a signed copy. By. Carl chinn. And I bought the book at a book store
Called
Ottakar,s in Worcestershire city and it was printed by brew books studley Warwickshire b80 7 lg
Best wishes and happy new year to you brookie
Astonian

Hi brookieboy
I bought the book called brum and brummies its a signed copy. By. Carl chinn. And I bought the book at a book store
Called
Ottakar,s in Worcestershire city and it was printed by brew books studley Warwickshire b80 7 lg
Best wishes and happy new year to you brookie
Astonian

Hi Astonia, Thank you for replying and your good wishes for a Happy New Year may I wish you the same, yes I thought I would have the book, in fact, there are three of those books, if you have another of Carl Chinns books called 'Brum Undaunted' (Birmingham during the Blitz) on page 99/100 you would see an excerpt of mine although it is slightly wrong saying that we found a huge crater in Dudley Road, in fact it was outside the church that we were sheltering in George Street West.
I guess that as you are called Astonia, like Astoness you come from Aston, don't know whether you may have guessed that as a 'Brookie' I come from Brookfields originally just this side of the now 'City' Hospital, Brookfields has now been amalgamated into Winson Green and no longer exists.

HI BRookie
firstly many thanks to coming back to me and secondly i will go back to my special book shop where i get my books from and thirdly brookie did you
ever knock around on the dudley rd and would have you been a tall lad growing up as my memory is raceing away here now
but i will not go into any details but i know the area very well yes i was born an astonian; right in the thick of it and brought up or possible dragged up ;ah;
but i spent alot of my time because during my later part of life like teen age and youth years around brookie and winson green from one end to another and i am wel known around he dudley rd and most of all winson green from one end to another back streets as well; so it was great to hear that you are from what i say my neck of the woods;yes its ashame to see how brooke as gone of the map and i done alot of courting with girls from down around there and of george street west i knew alot of people and went to school with and i have a old school friend whom was brought up in spring hill at the passage and now lives in western rs more of the crab tree rd as well i have courted up there as well with different girls and a friend of mind still lives there and my mate lived there before he died the frisbys
but i may had you have probaly seen this programe about james turner street winson green i can recall that far back as the fifties and its ashame to see the out come forty fifty years down the line it was a posh rd and i coured a girl from there her name was joan; what do you make of it
but i think we are not allowed to give any comments because its political but any way brookie i would know the area very well as i was also bropught up at spring hill passage i there say if we was to swap names i am sure we would both know them good old days brookie i go down that way quite often do you recall the lyric flee house
and the tree penny crush sat morning and a tanner on the eveing or may be the edgbaston ; or the old crown picture house old man [ senior mr langdon
moved from spring hill and moved up the monument rd and lter bought the old crown picture house and madeit into a massive bathroom show rooms and sales
but now thirty of years or more its all gone even old dockers paints of rotten park rd and icknild port rd i went down there a week or two back i nearly cried to see what they have done and i often drive up through brookie and ickneild strret such memories brookie well i have got to scoot off now brookie speak soon may be best wishes astonian;

Hi Astonia, Thank you for replying and your good wishes for a Happy New Year may I wish you the same, yes I thought I would have the book, in fact, there are three of those books, if you have another of Carl Chinns books called 'Brum Undaunted' (Birmingham during the Blitz) on page 99/100 you would see an excerpt of mine although it is slightly wrong saying that we found a huge crater in Dudley Road, in fact it was outside the church that we were sheltering in George Street West.
I guess that as you are called Astonia, like Astoness you come from Aston, don't know whether you may have guessed that as a 'Brookie' I come from Brookfields originally just this side of the now 'City' Hospital, Brookfields has now been amalgamated into Winson Green and no longer exists.

Hello Brookie Boy. Where and when did you live in Brookfields. I lived in New Spring St until 1968.

I can see a number of your responses but do not know how many you sent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Rookie
Some think is a miss somewhere a lot of messages ain't getting through for some reason have

Image not seen any Picts of Springfield street did you know the Thompson family oppersite the wharf astonian

Hi Astonian,
I lived in New Spring Street from being born there in 1928 until I went into the RAF in 1946, opposite the coal yard was a Lamp Maker factory just a few yards up from there were three houses with four at the back of these I lived in number two back of 213
What year are we talking about? do not recognise a Thompson.
Brookie

Hi rookie
It was slightly habit later rookie the Thompsons lived on the front houses opperite the wharf they was friends of mine
1953 onwards they was there for years brookie I spent a lot of time in that big wharf rookie and on that cut and I broke my arm
On there big builders hand carts fetching coal for a woman around the corner from new spring street on a Saturday morning
She paid me half a crown for fetching it I got rushed down to dudley red hospital along the hallway by clissold passage
My old lady came to the hospital and the old lady went bar my at the hospital and said that woman can fetch her own coal you ain't going again
My old lady took the half crown off me and spent it on some think else so l never got to spend it. Astonian

G'day Down-Under.
I happened on your message last Sunday and was able to email my cousin living in Mundaring. He replied within a few minutes to say that his daughters property at Stoneville had been gutted and he was taking the grand-children to his son in Adelaide. This surely shows the power of the 'Forum', without your message we in Staffordshire would no doubt have been unaware of the disaster. We trust you are safe?
If I have broken rules by replying in this way, I must apologise. I had pontificated until now but decided to take the risk!

Standerton.

Back