• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bruce Chatwin travel writer and journalist 1940 - 1989

A Sparks

master brummie
I found out today quite by chance that Bruce Chatwin, whose best known book is probably In Patagonia, comes from a family with Birmingham connections and who lived in Birmingham and the Midlands during his early life, although he was born in Sheffield which was his mother's home city.

I happened to pick up a book of his unpublished writings in a charity shop and the first thing I read was that he wrote the Chatwins were 'Birmingham worthies' and trace descent from a Birmingham button maker.
Just checked him out on the internet and found this from Wiki in his early life section...

The Chatwin family were well known in Birmingham, with Charles Chatwin's grandfather, Julius Alfred Chatwin, an eminent architect.[6]

After the war, Chatwin lived with his parents and younger brother Hugh (1944 – 2012)[14][15][16] in West Heath in Birmingham, where his father had a law practice.[17] At the age of seven he was sent to boarding school at Old Hall School in Shropshire, and then Marlborough College, in Wiltshire.[18] An unexceptional student, Chatwin garnered attention from his performances in school plays.[19] While at Marlborough, Chatwin attained A-levels in Latin, Greek, and Ancient History.[20]

All very interesting to me as I have read a couple of his books without having any idea of his Birmingham connection!

I've read The Songlines, his book about himself and Native Australian Culture, and On the Black Hill. He is an engaging writer, of course what he didn't know he fictionalised. The Songlines especially is dated in its attitudes and limited as Bruce does not speak any of the languages or saturate himself in a local culture as an anthropologist might. I imagine he would hate the candid account of his life in his Wikipedia entry. I had forgotten he lived in Birmingham as a child, well until he was sent to Prep school at the age of 7. Utz about a porcelain collector I might read sometime. Those far-off days when people travelled to Afghanistan for pleasure and had a good time there with the locals.

Yes, I had read that he was inclined to make things up so the facts in his books can't be taken as totally correct!! Also, as you say, dated in attitude
I think you just have to accept them as purely a good read.

Yes, I had read that he was inclined to make things up so the facts in his books can't be taken as totally correct!! Also, as you say, dated in attitude
I think you just have to accept them as purely a good read.
Yes, he is a wonderful writer! I think this is the best approach to him.

Back