• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brown Barnes & Bell Victorian Photographers

brummielink

knowlegable brummie
I am researching my family history and have an old Cabinet photo portrait with Brown Barnes & Bell's numerous addresses on the reverse. My family were living in Aston and would have used the Birmingham studio: Brown Barnes & Bell, 86 New Street, Birmingham. However, the studio opened 1881 and closed 1885. The company were awarded the honour of being Queen Victoria's photographers.
Birmingham City Archives have a list of Victorian photographers but Brown Barnes & Bell are not listed and I found only a handful of Cabinet photos on searching Warwickshire's Archives which led me to contact them, the result, they could find nothing on BBB in their collections other than a few in family collections. It is possible that (a) the Birmingham studio destroyed all their negatives and records when it closed in 1885, or (b) someone may have bought the negatives and records and they reside in a private collection.

I found some very helpful information on dating these cabinet photos on an Edinburgh website and its freely available by someone who has an interest in photography: http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/PP/pp_brownbarnesbell_studios_and_dates.htm

Can anyone add anything to this topic?

At the age of 71, in Feb 1932, Richard Brown died and his obituary in the Liverpool Echo is shown in the clip. It states that his father founded Messrs Brown, Barnes and Bell. However BBB was formed around 1875, being successors to Vandyke and Brown who had been in business from at least 1869.

The firm seem to have outlets in all corners of the globe, and the one at 86 New Street is mentioned a little earlier in August 1880. It is listed in Kelly’s for 1883 but not in 1890. I can’t find any mention of BBB in Birmingham after 1883, although many in other parts of the country. The second clip from 1883 describes a canvasser putting a few bob in his own pocket.

The head office of BBB was in Liverpool, and as the Birmingham Branch seems to have existed for only 4-5 years it may not have been recognized. Number 86 New Street was known as Town Hall Chambers and had at least a dozen offices in 1880

49A0157F-1410-46D6-93BE-D2E2F7000958.jpeg3D7B2BE3-3892-407E-8A59-6B4FF8E65DCC.jpeg

Wonderful news clips.
Dare I say, you're the 'font of all knowledge'.
Thank you for this information, brilliant.
Jo

I am researching my family history and have an old Cabinet photo portrait with Brown Barnes & Bell's numerous addresses on the reverse. My family were living in Aston and would have used the Birmingham studio: Brown Barnes & Bell, 86 New Street, Birmingham. However, the studio opened 1881 and closed 1885. The company were awarded the honour of being Queen Victoria's photographers.
Birmingham City Archives have a list of Victorian photographers but Brown Barnes & Bell are not listed and I found only a handful of Cabinet photos on searching Warwickshire's Archives which led me to contact them, the result, they could find nothing on BBB in their collections other than a few in family collections. It is possible that (a) the Birmingham studio destroyed all their negatives and records when it closed in 1885, or (b) someone may have bought the negatives and records and they reside in a private collection.

I found some very helpful information on dating these cabinet photos on an Edinburgh website and its freely available by someone who has an interest in photography: http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/PP/pp_brownbarnesbell_studios_and_dates.htm

Can anyone add anything to this topic?
My name is Robin Bell, a direct descendant of Joseph Bell, my great great grandfather, and of Walter Bell Snr my great grandfather. I attach a 1902 snap of Walter Bell Snr and family (the little boy on the right is my grandfather aged 7 (he died in 1964), evidence of the 1886 Royal Warrant, the outside of their premises at 31 Bold Street Liverpool, a BB&B re-order form, a BB&B 1891 snap of Billie Barlow (music hall artiste), and Joseph Bell's copyright of the 1891 picture. I agree that edinphoto is a good source, but the Royal Collection Trust has drawn a blank, sadly. I have quite a few BB&B cartes de visite and cabinet prints. My father was born in Birmingham, whilst I was in the city 1953 to 1958. I have more info about Joseph Bell but would always appreciate more. I have digitised most of my originals.

Attachments

• Bell family 1902.jpg
    Bell family 1902.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 6 Royal Warrant 1886.JPG
    6 Royal Warrant 1886.JPG
    451.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 3 31 Bold St exterior BBB.jpg
    3 31 Bold St exterior BBB.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 9 BBB re-order form pre 1901.jpg
    9 BBB re-order form pre 1901.jpg