• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Broughton

CaroleA649

proper brummie kid
Hi, I am fairly new to this outside of Ancestry. I am hoping that there are more of my extended family still out there.
My G-Grandfather was George Broughton, his wife was Sarah Probin, and is on record as living at Berners Street (#7). Associated names are Gee, Allen and Leonard. It appears that she may have been a serial bride.

I have established that my grandfather moved to the family settled in the Oldham area, presumably for the mining and factory work, but I am happier being affiliated to my Brummy heritage rather than the Lancastrian.

If anyone can and is willing to be associated with me, I would love to hear from you.

I see that George and Sarah had a number of children before they were married, possibly while Sarah was still married to Charles Gee.

Also appears the George Broughton was from Leicestershire.

And Sarah appears to be the daughter of George Probin and Sarah Hampson.

You may already know all this but John Broughton like his father George was a brick maker.

John's mother Sarah Probin was married 3 times - Charles Gee, George Broughton and John Leonard. She may still have been married to Charles Gee when she married George Broughton.

Sarah appears to have had children with all 3 husbands...

Amelia Gee b1857 m George Baynes, 1 son
Ann Broughton b1849 m William Tooth, 4 sons and 2 daughters
John Broughton b1851
George Broughton b1853, possibly never married and died in Durham
Mary Ann Broughton b1855 m Robert West, 2 sons and 1 daughter
William Broughton b1857 m Sarah Maria Chilton, 1 son and 1 daughter
Alfred Broughton b1860 m Sarah Jolly, 6 sons and 1 daughter. Moved to London
Sarah Broughton b1862 m Henry Callow, 4 sons and 4 daughters
Joseph Broughton b1864 died young
Alice Broughton b1867 died young
Joseph John Leonard b1882 m Ann Orme 2 sons and 3 daughters

Apart from your grandfather, Joseph and Alfred the others appear to have remained in the Bham area.

Also even though Sarah remarried, after John Leonard died she appears to have reverted back to Broughton.

I see that George and Sarah had a number of children before they were married, possibly while Sarah was still married to Charles Gee.
Hi Sorry for the late response, we are nailing this house back together.
You are correct about George being married to Sarah Gee, her maiden name was Proben and her father was making guns.

You may already know all this but John Broughton like his father George was a brick maker.

John's mother Sarah Probin was married 3 times - Charles Gee, George Broughton and John Leonard. She may still have been married to Charles Gee when she married George Broughton.

Sarah appears to have had children with all 3 husbands...

Amelia Gee b1857 m George Baynes, 1 son
Ann Broughton b1849 m William Tooth, 4 sons and 2 daughters
John Broughton b1851
George Broughton b1853, possibly never married and died in Durham
Mary Ann Broughton b1855 m Robert West, 2 sons and 1 daughter
William Broughton b1857 m Sarah Maria Chilton, 1 son and 1 daughter
Alfred Broughton b1860 m Sarah Jolly, 6 sons and 1 daughter. Moved to London
Sarah Broughton b1862 m Henry Callow, 4 sons and 4 daughters
Joseph Broughton b1864 died young
Alice Broughton b1867 died young
Joseph John Leonard b1882 m Ann Orme 2 sons and 3 daughters

Apart from your grandfather, Joseph and Alfred the others appear to have remained in the Bham area.

Also even though Sarah remarried, after John Leonard died she appears to have reverted back to Broughton.
Hi, I really do appreciate this information. I have literally spent monthg going around in circles trying to work out who is who. My main problem had been that they have a limited number of names and are using them to the max. It is amazing how many Alfred, Georges and Johns can be produced in just three generations!!

I have followed the tree to the Kimcoat area, it seems that they were involved in the stocking trade in one way or another from needle making to running the knitting machines. beleive that there was come rioting which I am trying to get to the bottom of.
There was one of the history programmes that covered this event and set me off in that direction. I knew nothing about it until that point.
I Would kill for any turn of the century pictures of any of the Broughtons, but I do not expect there to be much, I do not think a camera would have been high on the list of 'must haves'

I see John's sons had a number of occupations, whilst most of the daughters were involved in spinning/carding. No doubt quite common in that area around that time.

You never know with photos but it can depend on who they get they passed down to. They can easily end up with people who are related by marriage only (especially if there's a rift in the family), that's if they don't just get thrown away.

I have pictures of some of my grandfather's siblings from over 100 years ago which I sometimes wonder if their descendants have ever seen. And I was also sent some photos of my mom & dad's wedding which I hadn't seen when my last great aunt passed away. They could easily have been thrown out.

Back