• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brougham Street, Lozells

brilliant john..max has mentioned the oil drums to me and as far as he remembers they were renovated and painted green...at no 16 there used to be a pub called the bath tavern..we think it had gone by the 30s and the licence was transferred to the college arms college road...both myself and max have been searching for 10 years now to find a photo of the bath tavern but no luck so far...

lyn

According to https://www.kzwp.com/lyons1/group3.htm Bev was originally named Lyons coffee and chicory extract (introduced in 1921), though, as the change happened in 1930, I doubt if many members remember the original name. From this it seemed to be a combination of coffee and chicory (I dont think Camp had any coffee in it). Never having had the misfortune to try it (unlike Camp) I cannot say if it was any better tasting

Deep in my darkest depths...by Lyons...I don't know if this was coffee or coffee & chicory a la 'Camp'
View attachment 149926View attachment 149927
According to https://www.kzwp.com/lyons1/group3.htm Bev was originally named Lyons coffee and chicory extract (introduced in 1921), though, as the change happened in 1930, I doubt if many members remember the original name. From this it seemed to be a combination of coffee and chicory (I dont think Camp had any coffee in it). Never having had the misfortune to try it (unlike Camp) I cannot say if it was any better tasting
Thanks chaps I knew someone or two would come up with a reply and a solution
Bob

Morgan&Marlow the rear of No. 5&7 Brougham Street.
I took the company over in 1965 it had been in Brougham Street 1918, it was definitely there in 1929 as I have the company insurance policy, the company did non ferrous stamping and presswork. At the front house No7 was a family called Peplows, next door to them was the ham factory later on a plating company opposite where RoyO'Neill lived was a saw sharpening company and next door was the old school building with a company that sharpened milling cutters. We stayed at premies until the end of 1975 and moved to the jewellery quarter, 1-5 Spencer Street - happy days!

Attachments

• IMG-6700-2.jpg
    IMG-6700-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
hi roger and welcome...not sure if you have read all of this thread but somewhere on it i have posted a photo showing no 5 and 7 brougham st...would you have happen to have any old photos of the street that you could share with us please...i lived in villa st from 58 to 72

lyn

Last edited:
hi roger and welcome...not sure if you have read all of this thread but somewhere on it i have posted a photo showing no 5 and 7 brougham st...would have happen to have any old photos of the street that you could share with us please...i lived in villa st from 58 to 72

lyn
No unfortunately I haven't, only inside the workshop

oh thats great thank you roger...they will be a great addition to this thread...hope the photo of numbers 7 to 1 bought back some memories for you

lyn

brilliant just brilliant photos roger...i shall ask a friend of mine who lived at no 20 if he recognises any faces to put names to..i would think the ladies at least must have lived very local...do you have a date for them...no matter if not...many thanks great addition to the brougham st thread

lyn

This is inside the stamp shop at Morgan & Marlow, rear of 5-7 Brougham Street, stamp operator was G. Cooper of Carpenters Road.

Attachments

• IMG_6754-2.jpg
    IMG_6754-2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
brilliant just brilliant photos roger...i shall ask a friend of mine who lived at no 20 if he recognises any faces to put names to..i would think the ladies at least must have lived very local...do you have a date for them...no matter if not...many thanks great addition to the brougham st thread

lyn
The lady on left Nelly Jones came from Bridge Street West, Hockley, the other two were from Kingstanding (Jean) and Frank was from Cotteridge.

yet another great photo roger many thanks...would you happen to know jeans last name and also the dogs name ?...hopefully one day someone will see these photos and recognise the faces:)

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,Yes you are quite right,the O'neils lived @ no4.Maxwells memory is on the ball..Mom did have marigolds everywhere!Mr & Mrs Edwards lived @ no6 in those days,They had a business from the house power cleaning paint drums I believe! had a son & daughter,dennis & Barbara.both were older than me.We got on well and actually purchased a property from them in Bewdley.As you say a small world Lyn.

John
Harry Edwards and Ada Edwards were my grandparents. Barbara and Denis my parents. Mrs Bulivand
Hi Lyn,Yes you are quite right,the O'neils lived @ no4.Maxwells memory is on the ball..Mom did have marigolds everywhere!Mr & Mrs Edwards lived @ no6 in those days,They had a business from the house power cleaning paint drums I believe! had a son & daughter,dennis & Barbara.both were older than me.We got on well and actually purchased a property from them in Bewdley.As you say a small world Lyn.

John
Harry Edwards and Ada Edwards were my grandparents. Barbara and Denis my parents. I came into the world at number 6 in 1961.

hello barnowl and welcome...if you have any photos of brougham st we would love to see them....when did you leave the street...i was in villa st until 1972

lyn

In the 1960's I was working for Mr and Mrs Horlick at No.6 Brougham street. I knew Mrs Horlicks Parents Mr and Mrs Edwards , They were a lovely family and they took me in as their lodger when I was having Problems at home. Next door at No.4 was Roy and Joan O'Neil who owned the scrap yard in Church road and also had a Bric a brac shop in Wheeler street. As a teenager I was friends with John (Lawson) Bullivant from no. 20 Brougham street and we are still friends today though we live miles apart we visit one another now and then.Wonderful memories.
brilliant john..max has mentioned the oil drums to me and as far as he remembers they were renovated and painted green...at no 16 there used to be a pub called the bath tavern..we think it had gone by the 30s and the licence was transferred to the college arms college road...both myself and max have been searching for 10 years now to find a photo of the bath tavern but no luck so far...

lyn
The oil drums that Max mentioned were actually 5 gallon Paint drums and I worked there. We bought the empty paint drums from some of the major Car firms in Brum for 6d each then cleaned them inside and out, my job was to get any of the dents out and then paint them either green or black depending on the customer . we sold them back to the Paint companies for half Crown each.

Back