• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brougham Street, Lozells

Baldings disappeared between the 1962 and 1963 Kellys, being replaced by a metal bashing firm/ there is no listing elsewhere in Kellys for Baldings in 1963
I remember the metal bashing firm that Baldings became in the 60s. As kids we used to rob their scrap pile for thin metal "E's" that we used as lethal "skimmers" . I now know that these "E's" were laminates for electrical transformer cores.

nice posts dave glad to see you back...now keep in touch stop leaving us lol:D

lyn

Last edited:
I remember the shop on the corner of brougham st and Wills st. And my dad used to drink in the angel. And that a friends dad that also lived in Albert cottages used to go and get a jug of aile every Sunday afternoon. Also my oldest brother got his first home in the block of flats ( saddlers house) the one that you can see on the photo when he first got married
To his girlfriend who's family lived in burbury st.
Plus one year me and my sister went to a Christmas party at H samules. We must of only been around 5 or 6.

My Dad worked on Maintenance at H. Samuels from about 1962 'til 1968. It was their Head Office in Hunters Road, I remember the bridge across the road with a clock. I guess it's still there?

My goodness , Sheila Bell ( Or ding dong as some of us naughty kids called her ) i may be way off beam here ,but i think she tragically had a boy child killed in a road accident ?.

Do you remember a lovely girl that we used to call , very cruelly ," bull dog ", i never new how she got that nick name .

PS Brian Bowler lives by the Union Pub
Hi just reading about Brougham Street and you mention about a girl called "bull dog" and that brought back some memories, she was a really nice girl called Bernadette Morris who lived in Alexander Terrace along with her two sisters Pat, the eldest, and Jean during the late 1950`s.
Myself and a group of friends, from Gower street Lozells, spent many a happy hour down at Alexander Terrace.
I believe Bernadette went to the local catholic girls school and her two sisters, along with their cousin Valerie Lee, went to Our Lady Of Mercy Grammar school in Wolverhampton.
I have often wonder what happened to them.
Some other names I remember from that time are Rita Round and Kay and Ann, twins from Villa street.

hi bob did you live in brougham st ..any idea what number villa st the twins lived at and their last name??..i was at no 118 but i cant place them

all the best

lyn

Lyn
Electoral rolls show a Linda and Tony Morris lived in Villa St in the 1940s at no 180

hi bob did you live in brougham st ..any idea what number villa st the twins lived at and their last name??..i was at no 118 but i cant place them

all the best

lyn
Hi lyn.
No I did not live in Brougham Street I lived in Gower Street, Lozells.
I do not know the twins address but if I remember correctly their surname was Haddleton

Regards Bob

thanks bob...if you go to the gower st thread i posted some photos of the street before demo...

lyn

thanks bob...if you go to the gower st thread i posted some photos of the street before demo...

lyn
Hi Lyn.
Thanks for the photo thread of Gower Street unfortunately they do not show our house only the other side of the street.
I lived at number 17 which was 4 doors up from Guildford Street on the right hand side going up towards Wheeler Street.

Regards BOB1

hi bob so is the caption on this one incorrect then...it says its showing numbers 17 to 37 gower stGower_Street_No_11-37_Newtown_-_22-2-1968.jpg

Last edited:
Noticeable is the fact that lintels above windows and doorways have, on most properties, have been replaced or re-set. I understood that most of Birmingham, except maybe Handsworth where there were mines, did not suffer from land subsidies. Of course the geology of the city does vary - after all it is a large place - so maybe some areas did?

Looking at the map, and assuming that the road name is on the end house it looks likely that the photo shows the edge of no 197 Guildford St and nos 11-31 (set Back) and then 33-37 . then the edge of the Rose and Crown
map c1951 showing houses in gower st from corner of Guidford St.jpg

There were only 5 houses in Alexandra Terrace Marie, numbers 2 to 6. Number 1 was a bomb peck blown up in WW2. My family lived in most of the houses during the 50's through into the 60's, the exception was number 2 which was Mr and Mrs Hill, we lived at number 5 up until summer 1968. My Aunties family lived at number 6 until my Aunty died in about 1956. Shortly after that the rest of her family moved and new people moved in. If anything Marie, the people you knew would have lived in number 6. I was very young and my memory is vague, I don't remember their names. I was 16 when we moved out to come and live in Weston-Super-Mare. I'm still here with my family now

Hi Dave I see that you lived in Alexander Terrace in the 1950`s I wonder if you remember the Morris family family who lived there at that time they had 3 daughters Pat, Jean and Bernadette, and moved to uplands road when their mother passed away in about 1956.
I often wonder what happened to them.

Hi Dave - as usual your account of Brougham Street made fantastic reading. Keep them coming.

If you have any photographs of Nursary Road, Farm Street etc, or any of our school mates from Harry Lucas I would be especially pleased?

Look after yourself

keith
Hi Lynn. Thanks for the pictures of Nursery Road and Villa st. We lived on the corner opposite the greengrocer over the Post Office.The Crown was my father's pub, and the Vine too! My buddy Ann lived in Villa St, we were friends for a long time.

Hi Dave I see that you lived in Alexander Terrace in the 1950`s I wonder if you remember the Morris family family who lived there at that time they had 3 daughters Pat, Jean and Bernadette, and moved to uplands road when their mother passed away in about 1956.
I often wonder what happened to them.
Hi Bob, Sorry I missed this, I haven't been here so often these days. Pat, Jean and Bernadette are my cousins, they lived at number 6, next door to us at number 5. Their Mum Eileen died, as you say, in 1956 when I was 4. In fact all the houses bar one in Alexandra terrace were occupied by my family. Sheila, another cousin, and her family lived at number her 4 and her Mum (my aunt) Francess lived at number 3. I've lived in weston-super-Mare since 1968, when I left school, and have a grown up family here. In fact Bernadette and Sheila are coming down to visit us this coming Easter week. Pat lives in Warwickshire now and Jean lives in Poole. Small world aint it?

Hi Bob, Sorry I missed this, I haven't been here so often these days. Pat, Jean and Bernadette are my cousins, they lived at number 6, next door to us at number 5. Their Mum Eileen died, as you say, in 1956 when I was 4. In fact all the houses bar one in Alexandra terrace were occupied by my family. Sheila, another cousin, and her family lived at number her 4 and her Mum (my aunt) Francess lived at number 3. I've lived in weston-super-Mare since 1968, when I left school, and have a grown up family here. In fact Bernadette and Sheila are coming down to visit us this coming Easter week. Pat lives in Warwickshire now and Jean lives in Poole. Small world aint it?

Hi Dave - long time since we last spoke. Have you retired yet? Hope you are well?

Keith (Mabz)

Back