• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brough: Tailors & Drapers

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
I wonder if someone would be kind enough to look for the following 2 Tailors please:

William Brough (living in THORP STREET) & his son ROBERT BROUGH (Ann Street)

Thank you so much,
Margaret.

Robert and William both first appear in the 1833 edition;
1833 Robert Brough. tailor & mans mercer, 2 Ann St
1833 William Brough, tailor 24 Thorpe St
1839 Robert Brough. tailor & draper, 2 Ann St (No William)
1839 There is also a George Brough, stay maker, 320 Cheapside
By the 1841 directory Robert has gone also,and George's stay business is cheapside is now run by Ann Brough, and there is also another stay maker at 17 York St

Thank you Mike, this info is a great help to me. I have found Robert living in Bromsgrove on the 1841 census, so perhaps he had left Birmingham for good by then. Thanks again.
Margaret.

There is no Brough , tailor or anything else listed, in Pigot's 1841 directory, though directories of this age were often 2years out of date by the time they were published

Margaret, my family name is Brough but from the Staffordshire moorlands.

My great grandfather was Matthew Brough born 1807 in Leek to Thomas and Sarah, he was living in Moor Street in 1841 census, he and all his family were tailors.
He died in Stoke on Trent in 1875.

Back