• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brookvale Park & Witton Lakes

Booked in for a week Alf in two weeks time. Looking forward to it. Do you get the urge to come back to Brookvale and Witton lakes Alf?. Jean.

Been back no end of times where ever I lived and to Aston & Sutton Park & The Lickeys to show my family where I was dragged up.

I am still here Alf. It is one hundred and eleven miles to where we are going and it takes two to want to go so it has taken a lot of persuading as Pete is not a lover of Wales only for a days fishing. My great aunt lived by you years ago Dolly Pheasey.

Where by me Jean I've lived so many places

Where in Wales Jean you haven't told us that yet

On rereading the last few posts I realize that there had been a mix up with the gully's mentioned.Mike Bond referred to the walk down from College Road to Witton Lakes and I remember it very well. I had a friend who lived off Gypsy Lane near to Wiiton Lakes and we used to use that "gully or walkway" to access College Road, the Mayfair Cinema and on the road to the Kingstanding Baths where I learned to swim.I think Mike is referring to the old Boathouse in Witton Lakes which burned down years ago. They used to sell ice cream, sweets and pop.The Brookvale Gully has been well documented in this thread and there was a small cottage in Brookvale that sold ice cream, etc. as I had mentioned.I hope that Mike can visit these places again. I have been doing this for many years both in Birmingham and other places
and have always enjoyed going back.

The Boathouse,Also cups of Tea & Cakes when my mates & I had a Rowing Boat out on Sundays Jenny 2/6p for the Boat each week one would pay for the Boat the rest would buy the refreshments, it could even run to a Midlands Counties Ice Cream some weeks, Happy Days.

Thanks for that photo Mrs. T. I posted a photo of the old BVoathouse a few years ago. I remember it well. Alf, you must have had some great times with those boats. In later years they removed the public rowing boats but I remember skull like boats being laid out in the front of the big doors. I think someone was drowned using the rowing boats. Health and Safety wouldn't a allow those boats now Alf.I had so many great times in both Witton Lakes and Brookvale Park. WL was like a little paradise for children and we spent hours fishing on the little beach before you walk down the split between the lakes. The Miniature Boat Club used to sail their boats on the weekend and I remember seeing American Baseball played there where the teams were dressed in American style unfiorms. Then there was the funfair which appeared from time to time.My friend Margaret and I used to take two babies for a walk in the summer holidays. Just knock the door and away we would go. I became great friends with the one Mum. I was l2 at the time. I played tennis on the old grass courts at the Gypsy Lane end and played running up and down the water spillway that wasn't used but one time.

Thanks so much for that photo. Mrs T. My, how the place has changed, and all those trees have grown a lot in 70 years.
Peter

Thanks again Jayne. I have asked Pete if he would take me next week sometime as I have not been there for years. My aunt Dolly Pheasy from Gypsy lane used to take me as a child. Jean.

Great photos Mrs. T. Thanks for posting them. Glad to see the waters so clear. Hello Peter: Glad to see you posting. You know in some ways Witton Lakes has changed but in other ways it is very much the same as I remember it. The fencing between the two lakes and a couple of view points has made it nicer. I always love looking across the lake to see the Chapel i Spire n Witton Cemetery. Hope you get to have a visit Jean. It's a lovely walk around either lake.

On rereading the last few posts I realize that there had been a mix up with the gully's mentioned.Mike Bond referred to the walk down from College Road to Witton Lakes and I remember it very well. I had a friend who lived off Gypsy Lane near to Wiiton Lakes and we used to use that "gully or walkway" to access College Road, the Mayfair Cinema and on the road to the Kingstanding Baths where I learned to swim.I think Mike is referring to the old Boathouse in Witton Lakes which burned down years ago. They used to sell ice cream, sweets and pop.The Brookvale Gully has been well documented in this thread and there was a small cottage in Brookvale that sold ice cream, etc. as I had mentioned.I hope that Mike can visit these places again. I have been doing this for many years both in Birmingham and other places
and have always enjoyed going back.
Spot on Jennyann. I to was becomming a little confused, I could not work out how you could see the Manet Club from Witton Lakes but of course you could from Brookvale. I think I will be guided by your advice Jennyann and add Witton Lakes to my retirement list of " things to do before I die ".
MIKE.

Thanks again Jayne. I have asked Pete if he would take me next week sometime as I have not been there for years. My aunt Dolly Pheasy from Gypsy lane used to take me as a child. Jean.
You are going to Wales next week JEAN your e-mail last night ?

Alf wrong again it's the week after next. Caravan tomorow fora few days to collect our clothes this week then Monday the dog at the vet and the other dog at the hairdresser,s a week at home then off on the 28th for a week. Jean.

I know I have posted this one before but just thouht you Guys would like to see once more," THE OLD BROOKVALE SWIM BATHS"

Thanks for posting Keith...It's always good to see this photo. I bet it quite the place in its day. Bit like a small Tudor fort. It had all but gone by the time I got around to seeing the remains. My Dad and his friends used to talk about it but did say it was an actual building. I went around for years not knowing that it was an actual building.

Great photos Mrs. T. Thanks for posting them. Glad to see the waters so clear. Hello Peter: Glad to see you posting. You know in some ways Witton Lakes has changed but in other ways it is very much the same as I remember it. The fencing between the two lakes and a couple of view points has made it nicer. I always love looking across the lake to see the Chapel i Spire n Witton Cemetery. Hope you get to have a visit Jean. It's a lovely walk around either lake.

View attachment 57182

This was a few from Witton Lakes towards the spire in the 1950's

Regards Peter

Thanks so much for the photo Peter. Lovely to see across the lake and see the chapel spire. When I think of Witton Lakes I think of that view. I was there last Autumn and had a good look around.

Keith love the old swimming baths never knew there were ever any there. Thanks for posting your's too Peter. Jean.

Last edited:
Alf take a look back #151 to your post 164. Pete said he will take me to Witton Lakes when we come back. Jean.

Hi Jean,
You might be just the person to help me find some answers. I have been doing my family tree for ten years now and I heard that one of my relatives committed suicide in Witton lakes. Apparently he filled his pockets with stones and drowned himself. Around what year was it? and which road did you live in at the time and can you remember anything about it ? Any details would be a great help to me to find out more. Maybe the name Tonks or Jones may ring a bell with you?
Many Thanks
Sarah

Hi Jean,
You might be just the person to help me find some answers. I have been doing my family tree for ten years now and I heard that one of my relatives committed suicide in Witton lakes. Apparently he filled his pockets with stones and drowned himself. Around what year was it? and which road did you live in at the time and can you remember anything about it ? Any details would be a great help to me to find out more. Maybe the name Tonks or Jones may ring a bell with you?
Many Thanks
Sarah
Sarah do you have his death certificate?

Sarah there was a gentleman who lived in Dunedin road but I can't remember his name. His wife was Jan and he had a son named Paul. The name Tonks rings a bell. He had an Avon round with his wife and he did walk into Witton Lakes and committed suicide. If I remember his name I will be back in touch. This happened approximately 20 years ago. Jean.

Thanks for the photo of one of the Witton Lakes after it had been dredged, Peter. The storm drain pictured was connected to the spillway off to the right of the photo. I know
there was a lot of weed growth on the lake some years ago but it was all removed as far as I know. Mrs. T. I bet there are a lot of strange things at the bottom of the lake now.

Thanks for the photo of one of the Witton Lakes after it had been dredged, Peter. The storm drain pictured was connected to the spillway off to the right of the photo. I know
there was a lot of weed growth on the lake some years ago but it was all removed as far as I know. Mrs. T. I bet there are a lot of strange things at the bottom of the lake now.

Hi jennyann

It is interesting that the present Google Earth image of this lake, dated 2010, shows it quite congested with algae. The other lake seems clear.

Concerning the storm drain I seem to recall a tragedy where a child was drowned, but maybe hopefully I am wrong.

All the best Peter

Back