• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brookvale Park (as was)

cookie273uk

master brummie
[video]https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10017/Brookvale_Park_002.JPG[/video]
Brookvale_Park_002.JPG
normal_Brookvale_Park_002.JPG
Brookvale Park, as was, for Shera's Mom who has fond memories of the Park ,I also lived by the Park from '62 to '87 in Hillside Road which partly backed on to the park

Last edited:
another stunning pic eric....sheras mom will be delighted with the painting...:)

thanks for posting it..

lyn

You've done it again Eric - superb - I wish I had a fraction of your talent for painting.
Ian.

my mom will be 86yrs on 3rd november. she is going to be OVER THE MOON with this painting. mom has no idea i have asked eric to do it. she keeps looking at my picture eric did of gas st. basin and she absolutely loves it so i cant wait to give her this lovely painting of brookvale park, where we spent so much time growing up. mom and dad took us there most evenings in the summer (i think to run off our energy as there were 7 of us!). cant thank eric enough for such a lovely picture. :):):)

Lovely picture Eric,

I see we were close neighbours as circa 1977 - 1995 we lived in Chartley Road.

On a contract basis circa 2001- 2004 I did the grounds around the flats, just up from the Park (Alwynn estate? Part of the Brookvale estate), 22 hours hard graft just cutting the grass.

Ray

Cookie/Ray

You were both neighbours with me too, i lived at 20 Kegworth Rd with my grandparents near the corner of Chartley Rd (1980-1985) I wednt to Brookvale primary, my grandad used to take me to feed the ducks at Brookvale Park, and to watch the men playing coconuts (bowls) lol

James

Hello, my name is Simon Hensley and I am the neighbourhood Sergeant for the Stockland Green Ward of Erdington. Stockland Green is the council Ward that covers the beautiful Witton Lakes and Brookvale Park. I have read some of the threads about your experiences with interest and I think that my latest community initiative may be of interest to some of you..... I am currently working through a heritage lottery application to apply for funding to rebuild the old boat house that used to be on Brookvale Lake. I have been instrumental in reintroducing watersports to Brookvale Park and on the 23rd July 2011 we lauched our brand new canoe club to the lake! The idea is to provide todays young people with the same opportunity that you all once had. If you want to learn more about the work I am doing in Brookvale check out https://www.simonhensley.com another project is protecting the eroding island in the middle of Brookvale (work started yesterday 17/9/11)

I do however need some help from you to support my heritage lottery application. I need information about the band-stand/boat house i.e. when it was built? when it was demolised? What it was used for? When were the sides filled in?

And it would be great to include some testimonials about your experiences of the building and what it meant to you as a local resident to really add the heritage aspect to the proposal.

I'd also love to include some old photographs of the boat house, firstly to aid the architects get as close to the original as possible (as we're going to rebuild it just as it was, externally whilst having a community room/cafe/toilets/heritage room, internally) and secondly to add visual impact to the application.

Can anyone help?

Kindest regards

Si Hensley

By a strange coincidence I have been to Brookvale Park this morning and I was telling my now grown up daughter all about the boathouse. As a child back in the late 50's early 60's I was ever present in the park and the boathouse was without doubt the central feature of the park. I always played on the bandstand area above the boathouse and loved to look over at all the boats. That end of the park was always a pleasure to be in. There was a bowling green and an extremely colourful garden with a cold water font between the two of them.
At the other end of the park a small stream ran into the lake which had a dam across it. On one side of the dam the water was shallow enough to paddle in and on the other side it was just deep enough for the children to swim in and the water was clean enough back then for both activities.
I have fond memories of Brookvale Park which will stay with me for ever.
Sadly I have no pictures to offer but I know someone will help you. I wish you every success with your venture. It would be wonderful to see the boathouse back in the park. Good Luck.

Chocks

Si Hensley I completed my painting (post 1) from an old black and white pic I downloaded or received by email from Shera, i am sure she could be persuaded to upload it onto this thread. I also lived by Brookvale Park from 1962 to 1985 and have many fond memories of walking my dogs round there. They had power boats there at one time but were eventually banned for noise and potential damage to the pools banks. Eric

Last edited:
chocks2 & cookie273uk thank you so much for getting back to me, would either of you be interested in letting me ask you a few questions about your childhood memories of Brookvale Park and the band stand/boat house to help my heritage application?

If you are could you email me at [email protected]

Thanks

Simon

Back