• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brighton Hotel/The Brighton Balsall Heath

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Hi Gibbo

I don't ever remember being called the Brighton Arms. It was the Brighton Hotel right up to the 70's I believe when the postal address changed from Brighton Rd and it was around that time that it simply became the Brighton.

Sorry but the only decent photo I have comes from around that time because it is called The Brighton on the photo, try looking for The Brighton Hotel you might do better.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Brighton Ladypool Rd x.jpg
    Balsall Heath Brighton Ladypool Rd x.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 33
This looks about the right period, though I have no date. Brighton road appears to be quite narrow in the photo.

Brighton_Pub_Ladypool_Road.jpg

Mike

Great photo, it certainly looks round about the right time, (you'll know I have taken a copy). As for the width of the road it's never been very wide as can be seen in this clip from Google. I suppose this along with the low narrow bridge that was further up the road was the reason it was never used as a bus or tram route.

Attachments

• brighton rd.JPG
    brighton rd.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 44
The building's acquiring a neglicated look. Seems to have been dwellings for some time. Lots of peeling paint etc. But a few pub features still hanging in there like the lamps above the doors and the etched windiws. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 55
Hi guys
the first picture of the brightom arms was shown some years back on this forum
and the very first picture of the set of four as you got there in brown and white was repainted many years back
and quite rightly it was run down and needed redecoed inside and out as i recall from way back in around 1970 ish
prior to that an old friend of mine got a job as a barman but never stayed long there for some reason or other
It was run down then and then it was on a back side cover of a book which i have
yes mike its brighton road and ladypool road the shuttered shop facing was a laudryette bag was
and the steaming of all the windows filled and blowing out constantly all day
secondly mike bright arms coventry road was correct i think it was late 70 eighty period
that mr liam occonnor bought that pub and gave a lick of paint as you know mr occonnor owns alot of pubs
around the country and around brum he bought the tower ballroom as well afew years back and renovated it
spent a million on it then resold it for proffit and sold it to the asian comunetity its now a very big high class functionds
and confernce meeting best wishes Alan ,, Astonian,,,

This looks about the right period, though I have no date. Brighton road appears to be quite narrow in the photo.

Brighton_Pub_Ladypool_Road.jpg

This picture appears in the Yesterday's Warwickshire Series; Birmingham Inns and Pubs. 1992

The caption says that it has changed little in the 70 years since it was taken, therefore around 1922.

Hi Gibbo

I don't ever remember being called the Brighton Arms. It was the Brighton Hotel right up to the 70's I believe when the postal address changed from Brighton Rd and it was around that time that it simply became the Brighton.

Sorry but the only decent photo I have comes from around that time because it is called The Brighton on the photo, try looking for The Brighton Hotel you might do better.
Hi Everyone,
my grandmother Sarah Alice Hatfield owned a tobacconist and sweets shop at 87 Brighton Road from 1934 to around the late 1940's and the Brighton Hotel was at number 86, does anybody have any pictures please?

For clarification there are two ‘Brighton’ pubs with the Brighton Road address. The large pub in posts #1, 2, 4, 7, 9 and 14 is/was the Brighton Hotel or The Brighton (#85 Brighton Road) at the junction of Ladypool Road with Brighton Road.

The Brighton Arms in photo #10 and #12 is further along Brighton Road (around number 26 according to Streetview). A separate thread (below) for this pub has been created to avoid confusion. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/brighton-arms-balsall-heath.51636/

Viv.

Hi Everyone,
my grandmother Sarah Alice Hatfield owned a tobacconist and sweets shop at 87 Brighton Road from 1934 to around the late 1940's and the Brighton Hotel was at number 86, does anybody have any pictures please?
Hi RhomaKay, did you want pictures of 87? It appears to be No. 7 now, unless the 8 has just dropped off.

Attachments

• 87 Brighton Road Map.jpg
    87 Brighton Road Map.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 87 Brighton Road.jpg
    87 Brighton Road.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 12
Hi RhomaKay, did you want pictures of 87? It appears to be No. 7 now, unless the 8 has just dropped off.
Thank you Brummy-Lad, yes it does appear that the 8 has disappeared especially when you look at the map which shows the lot numbers. My Dad was a Brummy Lad too.
Thanks again and stay safe

Back