• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brook bond tea

formula t

master brummie
Seeing the thread about the 50s being forgotten it reminded me of a little job my mom used to ask me to do. when she bought a 1/4 of tea, i think it was brook bond in a green packet it used to have a little cut out stamp on the side, and you could get a stamp saving card from your local shop. My job was to go into the cupboard where she kept all the stamps she had collected, cut them out stick them onto the card, then when the card was full i think there were about fifty per card, i then took them to the local shop to redeem 10/- (ten shillings). my reward a tanner. (loads of money). All the best formula t.

A little off topic but concerning Typhoo Tea.

I have just being reading a book that I had bought for my mother, A History of Birmingham by Chris Upton, and here he says…

“The Warwick and Birmingham Canal connected the Digbeth Branch to Sri Lanka. This was the route for a weekly shipment of 3000 chests of tea to the Bordesley Street Depot of Typhoo Tea, each barge carrying between 250 and 400 chests. Trade continued until the German bombing raid on 10 April 1941 when an incendiary destroyed the complex.”

A recent photo by Roger a can be seen here...

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/32003352

Best wishes Peter

why did you not start a new thread for typhoo tea. i will as i had a very bad fright there
the stamps were on brook bond dividend tea.and bond coffee we collected them too

hi remember when i was little i sent a 6d postal order for one of there cards saving pictures books it was glossy
the pics of different kind and places all about tea in fact they called it a albun
i have not it now though
thats my memory of good old brooke bond tea and the adverts of the monkeys
it was later called pg tips
best wishes astonion

I don't know wether you remember the typhoo adverts on tele from the late 70's early 80's, one showed the chimps removal men the little lady chimp "Coo-ee Mr Shifter" with the tray of tea has just died, sad really loved those adverts.
paul

The chimps came from Twycross Zoo trained by dear Molly Badam. When I was at school she had a small zoo in the grounds of her bungalow at Hints where she housed her monkeys. My friend worked there after school and weekends. She lost the end of one of her fingers when a monkey bit it off. Didn't put her off though she went back working there.

I have all the Brook Bond Photo cards in the albums collected over the years when I was a kid, the shiffter add was Two Chimps taking a Piano up some stairs, "A MR SHIFFTER DO YOU NOW THE PIANO IS ON MY FOOT" "NO SON YOU HUM IT & I WILL SING IT":)

Back