• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bromsgrove Street 1907

Depends on spelling here but there is a Charles Robbins buried Feb 1915 at Lodge Hill. That would be the nearest council run cemetery to the Woodlands (now Royal Orthopaedic Hospital site_
1636040822155.png

Depends on spelling here but there is a Charles Robbins buried Feb 1915 at Lodge Hill. That would be the nearest council run cemetery to the Woodlands (now Royal Orthopaedic Hospital site_
It's possible, I suspect if he was able to walk a little on the 12 of February 1915, he would have survived a little longer, but really anything could happen if he caught an illness.

And further developments. As well as her name being wrong on the 1901 census I think her age was wrong also. It appears to be listed as 33 but I think it may be 24.

The parents of the Mary Ann Dix born 1877 are James and Caroline, tying in with the name of her daughter.

Living with Mary at Aberdeen St from the 1920s is a John W Gidley but more relevant also there in 1957 is a Thomas Joseph Dix, who could be her nephew, the son of her brother John who had also moved to Bham from Cheltenham.

Does put a a doubt on the previous mentioned Mary A Dix death.
This was found in Charles’s file! It confirms your research! Caroline was the Mother

Attachments

• 70B59D95-6FF9-40E6-9EA1-4E5BF0838250.png
    70B59D95-6FF9-40E6-9EA1-4E5BF0838250.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
The 1921 census has thrown up some more information, including 2 more daughters for Mary Ann Dix and John Gidley.

On the 1921 census the family - John (listed as GW), Mary (no first name listed), John, Minnie, Edward, Enoch and Elizabeth May are living on Aberdeen St. They are all listed as Gidley.

This lead back to the 1911 census where John Gidley is listed in Bham with John & Minnie. No Mary.

Minnie is registered as Dicks, no mmn and Elizabeth May is registered as Dix, mmn Robbins.

And it has lead to Florence as well. She married a Charles Bennett (1919 Bham) and is also living on Aberdeen St on the 1921 census.

The 1921 census has thrown up some more information, including 2 more daughters for Mary Ann Dix and John Gidley.

On the 1921 census the family - John (listed as GW), Mary (no first name listed), John, Minnie, Edward, Enoch and Elizabeth May are living on Aberdeen St. They are all listed as Gidley.

This lead back to the 1911 census where John Gidley is listed in Bham with John & Minnie. No Mary.

Minnie is registered as Dicks, no mmn and Elizabeth May is registered as Dix, mmn Robbins.
I pulled the census info for John and Mary - I suspected they were living as "married" - John is listed as widowed on the 1939 register at the same address. The one year old Elizabeth surprised me (although Mary Ann has kids popping up all the time is seems).

I have pulled her death certificate- she passed in November 1922 of ovarian cancer.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I found the 1911 Census - looks like Mary A is listed as "wife".
I'm thinking that the children after John (Minnie, Edward, Enoch and Elizabeth) may be John Gidley's but that doesn't explain them all using the surname Dix later in life.

Attachments

• Mary A.JPG
    Mary A.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Appreciate
Might John have been a 'Gidley' as well?

Might just have been easier, especially for children registered as Dix, as that's the name that appears on the birth certificate.

I found the 1911 Census - looks like Mary A is listed as "wife".
I'm thinking that the children after John (Minnie, Edward, Enoch and Elizabeth) may be John Gidley's but that doesn't explain them all using the surname Dix later in life.
They may have used the name Dix if that is how their births were registered.

Might John have been a 'Gidley' as well?

Might just have been easier, especially for children registered as Dix, as that's the name that appears on the birth certificate.
Anything is possible . He was however taken with Mary Ann Robbins in when the Middlemore folks took her from Charles and Mary Ann in late 1907 - he's mentioned here in the Mary Ann's Admittance Record. There was also a Thomas who was born (and passed) in 1907. I'm assuming that Mary Ann and Charles went their separate ways after he was put in jail and that's where John comes in but who knows maybe he was on the side before or a customer and actually is the father of John (hence the JR) on the census.

Attachments

• Application Book entry.jpg
    Application Book entry.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Appreciate
And it has lead to Florence as well. She married a Charles Bennett (1919 Bham) and is also living on Aberdeen St on the 1921 census.
I'm having trouble searching the right record (and don't want to purchase the wrong one) do you happen to know which address on aberdeen st they were at?

It appears to be 6 back 35 Aberdeen St, this ties in with the 1922 ER.

Search for '6 35 Aberdeen Street' and the result should be Florence & Charles Bennett, boarders of a George Bassell (who probably should be Russell).

Last edited:
Back