• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bromford Racecourse

Bromford Bridge

Hi guys
Did you know that there was five streets built on Bromford Bridge, that was named after grand national winners
Reynoldstown. ( 1935 and 1936 )
Sprig ( 1927 )
Sundew (1957. )
Kilmore. ( 1962 )
Ayala. ( 1963 )

A race horse named Birmingham was stabled in sherlock street on a spot occupied by the wholesale markets
The gee gee, now makes a good pub quiz question as it went on to win the ST Leger in 1830
The oldest of. Britain's classic five races, its jockey was Patrick conolly
Whom That year also won the 2,000 Guineas on August
Does any of these names of streets still exist on Bromford today Astonian,,,,,

Re: Bromford Bridge

Those roads are still there on the site of the old racecourse, as are the others named after horses, Regal, Tulyar,Relko, and Pan the rest of the the roads are called after Racecourses, Doncaster, Haydock, Newmarket etc.

Last edited:
hi phil would it be possible for you to post that photo again please of the crowds leaving the racecourse (post 13) i need it so that i can zoom in on it but its a bit too small...

many thanks phil

lyn

Sorry Lyn

I missed this post, this is the best I can do with the photo you want as it is a low resolution copy.

Attachments

• Erdington Bromford Lane Races 1947 ad.JPG
    Erdington Bromford Lane Races 1947 ad.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 67
A question for you railway/transport aficionados. There were railway stations at Bromford and at BIF, Castle Vale When the estates were built both were closed, just at a time when there would have been lots of potential customers commuting into the city on a daily basis. Never did make sense to me!

If you type Prince Monolulu's name into the Forum's search engine there is a lot of info about the Bromford Race Course and Prince Monolulu

Prince Monolulu appears here
https://www.nationalmediamuseum.org...rchive/collectionitem.aspx?id=1983-5236/A2583

here
https://www.nationalmediamuseum.org...chive/collectionitem.aspx?id=1983-5236/G01295

and here
https://www.nationalmediamuseum.org...chive/collectionitem.aspx?id=1983-5236/E04171

courtesy of the former Daily Herald newspaper archive at the National Media Museum, Bradford.

Phil's first photo in post #13 shows the winning post. After 1965, the winning post was moved to a point near the shops on Bromfird Drive. Then it was moved again to a children's playground, a hundred yards west of Bromford Drive. Nice memento of the racecourse. Viv.

image.jpeg

would this have been "Bromford bridge Race course", my father took me too in the 50's, can't remember much but the long lines of trams and bus's. Paul

I think it must have been Paul. Here's a photo of of it in 1956 - looking out from the grandstand towards Fort Dunlop
. image.jpeg
And this is 1965 looking towards the grandstand when everything at the racecourse was auctioned off. Viv

]image.jpeg

Hi Viv,

I was amazed at the orderly queue for buses - that wouldn't happen now, at least not in Birmingham - it's more of a rugby scrum. I worked at Wimpey (the house builders) for some years which I believe was built near the racecourse and overlooked it.

Hi Viv,

I was amazed at the orderly queue for buses - that wouldn't happen now, at least not in Birmingham - it's more of a rugby scrum. I worked at Wimpey (the house builders) for some years which I believe was built near the racecourse and overlooked it.
I had used to go down Newport Rd past Wimpey's(near the motorway bridge) and until I read your post I had never realised the racecourse in it's day came so far.

I remember once my dad taking me to the end of Chipperfield Road (we lived in Millington rd) and watching the horses racing by must of only been about 8 years old, when the houses were built there used to be a Blackberry bush at the side of Chipperfield rd used to go there and pick lovely fresh fruit.

Back