• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bromford Lane And Tyburn Road

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
I was born in Bromford Lane, as were the previous 2 generations of my family, in 1946 and moved round the corner to Tyburn Road in 1953. So when I saw this on ebay I just had to buy it! An old linen bus blind. Not sure which service, maybe No. 11 or one that ran up Tyburn Road to town.
Bromford Lane Tyburn Road.jpg

I think you are spot on the money with Outer Circle 11 but the route did not go into town but was circular - as you may recall.
This blind was used on the circle 11 route as a short working to Bromford Lane presumably during the rush period when factory workers made their way home.
Others may have another viewpoint however. ;)

I think you are spot on the money with Outer Circle 11 but the route did not go into town but was circular - as you may recall.
This blind was used on the circle 11 route as a short working to Bromford Lane presumably during the rush period when factory workers made their way home.
Others may have another viewpoint however. ;)
I agree with you, unfortunately in his book on the Birmingham bus routes, he makes no mention of any short workings other than the 66j Chester Road
Auburn Road
introduced when the 66 was extended to Eachelhurst Road. What were routes 66a to 66h?
Like the way the family yacht is now your new avatar
Anyway good for you David. It will add class to your office, just promise that you will dust it and you'll be OK. Point out that the meagre sum you paid for it will prove to be a gasper when it appears on Antiques Roadshow and is worth millions.
Bob

Bob

As the clothes pegs look large I guess it is a close-up photo. Maybe David could give us the dimensions which might clarify things.

Thanks Bob, just waiting for Fiona Bruce to come to Banbury. But as they all say, "Thanks for the valuation , it's not for sale."

From the seller:
"A vintage original 1970’s screen printed linen West Midlands Birmingham bus blind section “Bromford Lane Tyburn Road” it measures approx 22cm x 111cm.

It was taken from a full original 1970’s roll destination blind."

David,

Am I correct in thinking that Photobucket hosting no longer works on here, except possibly for Photobucket members?

Maurice

as a lot of us know from other threads and discussions that some time ago photobucket blocked all third party hosted photos which means we could not upload them from photobucket to other sites...unless you agreed to upgrade your PB membership which i believe was something like £300 a year..if you dont upgrade all you will get is what david is getting saying photo not found

lyn

I have a copy of the Ian Allan Birmingham City Transport Bus Fleets 1967 and that lists 66E as Bromford Lane Tyburn Road.

Was it Miller Street that covered the 66 route? This blind may have been cut from a Miller Street blind.

This destination was I'm sure a turnback working on the 11 route and one or more of the Outer Circle garages may have had this destination on their blinds possibly Harborne, Acocks Green and Perry Barr.

I have a copy of the Ian Allan Birmingham City Transport Bus Fleets 1967 and that lists 66E as Bromford Lane Tyburn Road.

Was it Miller Street that covered the 66 route? This blind may have been cut from a Miller Street blind.

This destination was I'm sure a turnback working on the 11 route and one or more of the Outer Circle garages may have had this destination on their blinds possibly Harborne, Acocks Green and Perry Barr.
Post 1, shows a blind of the description you mention I think. The thread should be of interest.

These days the 11A / 11C goes up Bromford Lane, it passes Tyburn Road but doesn't go on it.

Here's a building I saw on Bromford Lane that is now a doctors surgery and a dental surgery. Park House.

Lad in the Lane - photos posted in this thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...he-lad-in-the-lane-the-green-man.47314/page-2

Buffet Island Chinese Restaurant - photos posted in this thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/navigation-pub-erdington.8981/page-2
My Doctor, got to go there today.

As a youngster would cycle to Bromford Bridge from the Glebe to met my train spotting friends.N
Good times

Is there nothing on the back of this blind to indicate the matching route number? There has to be some method for the driver/conductor to know what route is being displayed without going outside.
As an aside, it seems strange to me that Birmingham buses are now fitted with electronic displays that should be capable of displaying just about anything, unlike the linen blinds that started this topic, and yet the buses themselves often have the route number as part of their permanent livery, e.g. X2.x2bus.jpg.jpg

Back