• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street Hospital

Z

Zimbo

We recently ate at Old Orleans on Broad Street, which I have been told was an orthopaedic hospital. Does anybody have any info or pictures of the place from back then?

This might help you, there is some reference to the hospital on Broad Street but not the orthopaedic hospital. :)

:angel: An extract from a post I made awhile ago called 'We Will Make You Grow' 1956 - 1960ish

"...Dr Tree's and Nurse Byfield at the School Clinic in Gt Charles St. In their great wisdom sent me at the age of 6 off to the Orthopedic Hospital in Broad St, there they decided that 6 months wearing Plaster-of-Paris from knee to toe on both legs at the same time would do the trick - Stretch the tendons -Stop me walking around on my toes, it didn't work.
Next at about 8 came the doses of 'Pure Alcohol' 12 in all. Supplied by the Orthopedic, they came in their own little locked case and I had to drink it straight 2 a week (sorry to say I didn't like it at the time, but now well !) again no luck.
So then now 13 came my 2 weekly visits to Broad St, I was sat down on a 'real hard chair' with both legs up to my knees in tubs of water-Electric charges were connected and I had to stay like that for 3/4 of an hour, this treatment went on for almost a year and you've guessed it, at the end I was still small and they all gave up and now I'm 4ft. 11.1/2 (You'll have to convert it yourself).‚..."

Chris :angel:

Last edited:
Pom, that sounds awful although they thought they were helping you. W ell you are proof there was an orthopaedic hospital on Broad Street.

Do you know whether it was the old Hospital and nurses home that was coverted to the Orthopaedic? :)

:angel: Haven't found my pic' yet but I did find this in one of my files:

" The Royal Orthopaedic and Spinal Hospital, Newhall Street, was founded in 1817, for the cure of hernia, club feet, spinal disease, contractions and distortions of the limbs, and all bodily deformities.   ...The Forelands was purchased and opened in 1921 as a convalescent Home for Children. The merger officially took place in 1925 and Broad Street Hospital was purchased, to be used as the Outpatient Department. Services were reorganized and both Broad Street and Forelands were closed early 1990's..."

BIRMINGHAM CITY COUNCIL
PLANNING
DEVELOPMENT DIRECTORATE
The following planning applications have been submitted to the City Council. Copies of the
applications can be inspected between 0845 hrs and 1715 hrs on Monday to Thursday and
1615 on Fridays at 9th Floor Reception, Alpha Tower, Suffolk Street Queensway, Birmingham,
B1 1TU. To assist staff it would be helpful if you could make your visit between 1000 hrs and
1600 hrs....
Any comments you wish to make on an application should be sent to the above
address by no later than 21st September 2005.... Please phone Planning Direct for a leaflet which explains the process or visit the website at www.birmingham.gov.uk/planning speakers

TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1990

C/04612/05/FUL
212-223 Broad Street,Birmingham
Redevelopment of site to provide a 38 storey building with ground floor A1/A2/A3/A4/C1 & D2
uses and upper floor parking, hotel and residential units
The development would in the opinion of the Local Authority affect the setting of a listed building
namely Old Orleans (Former Royal Orthopaedic Hospital) Broad Street City Centre- Grade: II and
78& 79 (Left Bank) Broad Street City Centre - Grade: II.

Chris :angel:

I certainly remember going to the Broad Street Hospital in about 1950 - the problem - knock knees (not too sure what that was!). All I know is that I didn't go very often and somehow the subject drifted off the agenda.
Someone has mentioned the Forelands - what was that? I remember my Mother mentioning to me a connection between the Broad Street Hospital and the Orthopaedic Hospital on Bristol Road, going out of town on the left, in wooded surroundings between Selly Oak and Northfield. I think that was called the Woodlands. My Mother had surgery there in the 1930s perhaps for something to do with tendons and her feet. How successful it was I do not know, but her feet were never all that reliable. She spent several weeks there and during that time they discovered she played the piano. So a piano was wheeled into the ward and she entertained!

Florence

My husbands younger brother had many operations on his spine in the Woodlands hospital,Bristol Road.

Was the hospital in Broad Street,ST Chads?.

The Forelands was a convalescent hospital at Bromsgrove
I attended a course there in the late 80's
Not sure if it's still there .I remember there was talk of it closing then

Colin

I was ther in 1969/70 I had a fall while cleaning windows in Reddich I fell from the second floor while trying to cross from one window the the next I drove home unknowing I had broken three vertabrae in my lower back the treatment was done sitting in a deck chair with a hole in the seat and back area it was a heat lamp it was like sitting on the loo LOL mind you I never did find what the nurses were laughing at. I think they call it mooning now  :-[ :-[ :-[

exatly what they call it John - never mind these things can happen to the best of people

Broad Street Orthopaedic

I used to go to The Royal Cripples Hospital in 1949/1950? as it was called then - for flat feet - and i used to have built up innersoles for my shoes - beeeeeautiful - I used to go about 3 times a week for exercises which i dont really think were very successful - and i dont think i had flat feet either. I just had to keep having built up insoles - until i rebelled and decided enough was enough - well how the hell could i put built up insoles into winkle pickers??? :redface:

I think it's title was changed to the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital at somewhere around the time that i was attending.

Luv Dotxx

There seemed to be an assortment of different hospitals in Brum years ago.
Apart from the Children's Hospital. I can remember :
the Accident Hospital,
the Eye Hospital,
the Ear, Nose & Throat Hospital (I spent ten lonely days in there)
the Skin Hospital (got stabbed in the foot with a large needle for a planta wart I caught at the swimming pool. Mom made me keep my hands in my pockets in case the furniture was infected!),
the Royal Orthopedic Hospital. I am sure there were more.

Don't forget the dental hospital. I had a brace fitted there in 1964! oh the horror of it.

Yes, Moma P. The Dental Hospital is another one. Looks like it might be pulled down before too long and an other one built. I applied for a job when I was in Birmingham for several months in l972 and didn't know where my life was going at that time. That would have been the newer Dental Hospital back then. Amazingly, they phoned me right after the interview and said I could have the job. I turned them down. Often wonder what it would have been like working there. I also used to go there for paid treatments when visiting from Canada. Those visits were just fine although I hate going to the dentists like most people.

The other hospitals were the Isolation Hospitals, fazed out when Scarlet Fever was eradicated. I can remeber seeing friends being taken into the ambulence wrapped in red blankets, a horrifyngly frightening sight for little children to see.

Yes, the Isolation Hospitals Di. I remember the one in Kingstanding. Looking back as a child you hoped that you would never have to be sent to one of these hospitals to be treated. Parents didn't explain anything to children in those days when those hospitals were operating(no pun intended) and on doctor's orders you were off to meet your fate in one of them.

The ten lonely days in the Ear, Nose & Throat Hospital were mainly because the hospitals at the time did not allow parents or family to visit a child during treatment unless it was deemed very serious. I think it was up to the age of 14, which I was at the time I was admitted there for an Adenoid and Sinus operation. I was too old for the Children's Ward, so I was put in with the adult women. Come visiting time, I would hide under the bedclothes and probably cry because no one was coming to visit me. You rarely forget things like that. I was, however, for the first time, given drinks with ice cubes in and I still love ice cold drinks.

The last couple of days the nurses let me help out in the Children's Ward
playing games and reading them stories.:) I can remember fireplaces with huge guards over them. The hospital was in Great Charles Street

Yes, there are (or rather, were) quite a few smaller hospitals, mostly set up in the early 19th century, concentrated around Broad Street and Bath Row, but elsewhere too. From the mid century, the Victorians moved out the suburbs for obvious reasons. I came across a good bit of background information when I wrote about the General and the Dudley Road Hospitals. The history is quite interesting, and deserves attention from somebody. I'm tied up with my pub stuff at the moment.
Peter

I think the isolation hospital in Kingstanding was on the College Rd on the left hand side going towards Sutton, there was a cinema called The Mayfare ? just there and a shop of the same name next door. This would have been between Hawthorn Rd (Crossways) and Dovedale/Brackenbury Roads.

bren

Back