• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street Hospital

That's exactly right Bren it was going down the hill from the Mayfair Cinema
and had a high wall and lots of trees nearby. I can't recall what is there now.

Hi, St Chads is/was on the Hagley Rd not broad St. I say is/ was cause I'm not sure if it is still there. Wasn't there a burns hospital too just off the back of Broad st?

Broad St Hospital

The hospital on Broad St was on the corner of Sheepcote St and Broad Street. St Chad’s Hospital Hagley Rd was between Wyndham Rd and Stirling Rd it was acquired by the Richardson Brothers and converted into apartments I believe.

The burns hospital mentioned would have been the Accident hospital in Bath Row as they had a special burns unit, The skin hospital was in George Rd off Islington Row. The EyeHospital was in Church St off Colmore Row, the E.N.T. was in Edmund St off Newhall St. There was a Chest Clinic in Great Charles St and there was another little hospital in John Bright St but I am unable to recall what its function was.

I worked at all these hospitals in the 60’s through to the 80’s. I’m sure there are a lot more that I am unable to remember,

Cheers

pmc1947

The hospital in John Bright Street was the original Birmingham Skin Hospital before it moved to George Road in 1935.It remained in use as an out-patient department until closure in 1996

Colin

Jennyann,
interesting that you interviewed for a job at the dental hospital in '72,I was working there at that time.Which department was it

Colin

don't know if pic has been posted before,here it is again.found it while trying to find my med records

pmc1947, you are dead right. The Orthopeadic was on the corner of Broad St. and Sheepcote St. I took my mother in law there for an appointment about 40 years ago. I understand that some people had less than pleasant experiences there but it was the forerunner to todays R.O.H. in Northfied. This establishment is magnificent and probably rates as one of the best joint replacement and bone cancer centres in Europe or even over a wider area.

I had to go to the one on Broad St for physiotherapy on my knee prior to having surgery at the R O H it finished my football playing,that was 32 years ago:(Mossy

mossy.i had to go there 4 times aweek for phisio.after i had a rta.they fitted me with gear that made me look like robo cop.when i got home i took it off and never wore it again:D

HI ZIMBO
Very True AndCorrect You ARE That It Was The Hospital For Many A Years
Way Back Was On The Very Spot And It Was The Whole Building They Changed
For The Pub And The They Moved Completely To Bristol Rd
And On The Ajoining Corner There Was Midland Bank Which Was Converted To A Resturant And Almost Facing The Hospital Was Transport House The Transport And Union And Next To Them Was A Big Car Showroom I Think They Was Bentlys Or Rolls Royces But Still Unfortuneately I Haven,t Got Any Pictures
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

I attended the orthopedic hospital in Broad Street in the early fifties and was treated by Professor Leather who I think was the father of Dianne Leather.

there was an orthopeadic hospital in Broad Street, when I was a child we lived at Bishopsgate Street just off Broad Street. my mum thinks it was near sheepcote Street near to where Bush House, was St Chads is more up to the Hagley Road area.

I attended the orthopedic hospital in Broad Street in the early fifties and was treated by Professor Leather who I think was the father of Dianne Leather.

I too attended the Orthopaedic Hospital in Broad Street several times in 1951 before having an operation at the Woodlands, performed by J B Leather.

I attended the Orthopaedic Hospital in Broad Street for three months about 25/30 years ago for physiotherapy on my feet. The Physiotherapist was a Mr. Johnson and he was blind. He was very good.
Junie.

Last edited:
From 1950 kellys

80 Royal Orthopedic Hospital,
Birmingham, incorporating
the Birmingham
Cripples'
Union & Royal Orthopaedic
& Spinal Hospital
(Amalgamated)
(Miss Irene Whittock,
genl. sec)
80 Royal Orthopaedic Hospital
Handicrafts Dept.
fancy goods dlrs​

It was on the corner just past Sheepcote st going out of town
mike

there was an orthopeadic hospital in Broad Street, when I was a child we lived at Bishopsgate Street just off Broad Street. my mum thinks it was near sheepcote Street near to where Bush House, was St Chads is more up to the Hagley Road area.

I attended the orthopeadic hospital in Broad Street in the mid 60's (effects of Rugby!!-still with me). St Chads was in Hagley Road, my dad died in there in the late 60's).
DJRVST

We recently ate at Old Orleans on Broad Street, which I have been told was an orthopaedic hospital. Does anybody have any info or pictures of the place from back then?

I don't have a picture of the orthopedic hospital. That stood on the corner of Broad Street and Sheepcote Street.
It is I believe the Old Orleans restaurant now.
It was a working hospital well into the early sixties.
There was a 'Dolls Hospital' next door. My sister had her doll repaired there.

Ladywood

colin when did the george road skin hospital become an outpatients as I spent time as a child there in the 50's and 60's suffering with psoriasis as an inpatient and there were three wards, the childrens ward was at the top of the building, we also had schooling just off the ward the ones that could get out of bed. I still have a memoir from that period as our cleaner gave me a china bible with the lords prayer inscribed on it, but I do remember john bright street hospital being an outpatients in the 60's my mum used to take me there in between going into the george road's site.

Does The Neurosurgery Hospital, Holly Lane, Smethwick qualify as a Birmingham Hospital it treated patients from all over the country and abroad, it was demolished some years ago and its work was continued at the QE. Len.

Back