• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street

R

rianne1974

Hi
I'm researching Broad Street history and I'm interested to find out about particular buildings.

The current building is where the Walkabout pub chain is based. My husband said that nearby there was a coin shop and other desolated shops before it was all redisigned as it stands now.

Does anyone know any information where I can find this out please.

Anything helps.

Kind regards Rianne

hi john,
first of all it was good of you to printthe names of the registerd bussiness,s
on broad street, it brought afew memories back.
one of three things,
first of all i spent many, many nights in the renddezvous coffee bar ,
has it was an all night scene for social meetings, along with the tow- rope on the oppersite side
secondly i remember the antque dealers ,
because my younger brother pete, was given an ivory chess set ,
from my mother, which belong to her father whom was ernie jelf.
he had that for years when he was young ,
and took it around the world, with him ,
along with sir billy cotton , and wee george wood the actor,
to play each other whilst traveling,
any way my brother took it to the dealer,
and all he offered him was five pounds,
but he never parted with it ,
and the final word john ,
his it possible for you to tell me,
that when they started to demolish the aston cross, for clearance
did the council put a conpulsive purchase on the bussiness,s
and did they pay compenceation to the owners, for claming there property,s
and if so could you tell me ,if they kept a record of how much,
And whom too.,and his it open to look at ,the records today ,?
thanks again john

most of the information you would require as a 75 year closure date on them you could try the archives at Birmingham central library byut I think they will tell you the same. some time soon Rod and myself are going to check out a few things in the archives if you don't have any luck I will ask for you

The Broad Street address that stirred me was 'Everyman Stationers', where I used to buy bristol board and strawboard for making my model buildings, when I was still at school. When I graduated on to metal I used to go to Gabbs at the corner of Constitution Hill and Summer Lane. That was a wondeful place!
Peter

book by Norman Bartlam-Broad St Birmingham  Sutton Publishing 2002
ISBN 0-7509-2874-3

My eldest brother Peter attended King Edwards Five Ways Grammar school in the mid l950s. At least twice a year our family would attend a function at the school and we would walk between the Hall of Memory along Broad Street to Five Ways and the school.
It was an interesting walk with many shops to look in the windows of. I particularly remember a theatrical shop that sold to the people who worked in the theatre. They sold wigs, Leichner stage make-up, dancing shoes, costumes, in fact anything that an actor or actress may require. I always looked for that shop.

Kunzle's Cakes had a large double fronted shop on Broad Street with great window displays especially at Christmas and Easter. I also remember the amazing windows of Lee Longlands, the furniture store which is still in Broad Street.

The address that caught my eye on John's list was that of the company Parker, Winder and Achurch, a very old Birmingham company that made hardware items if I remember rightly. I was sent there as a temporary shorthand typist in l963 for a three week assignment. It probably had the most old fashioned offices I can ever remember working in and the office managers were very strict indeed with their staff. It seemed like being at school. :knuppel2:

Broad Street

I remember when they started to demolish the old buildings in Broad Street - I took our youngest son and his pal and they sat on the Hall of Memory Steps i took their photo and then they went to the top of the steps and ran down - again i took their photo - then over the road was the Rum Runner??? where a lot of the groups had their debuts and outside there were messages to the likes of Simon Le Bon, Nick Rhodes, Andy, Roger and John Taylor - from young girls (who would be big girls now) telling them what they would like to do with them. And lots more and i took a photo of that - but remember in those days being pre digital - i sent the film away for developing and printing and what dya know it was damaged - and returned with an apology and a voucher to spend the next time i sent a film for printing. I was not a happy bunny and still grind my teeth when i think of that last chance to record a bit of history all gone up in smoke, acid or whatever they did, but me being suspicious of them really believed that i was cheated.

Dotxx

That is a sad story Dorothy...it always seem to be the photos you wanted that ended up not being printed. The free film voucher didn't cover it really.:|

Broad Street

In the late 1950's I can remember catching the 64 Corporation bus from Chester Road, Erdington to outside the General Hospital and then walking up to Steelhouse Lane to catch another bus. This was on a Saturday afternoon to go to lessons at George Clays Accordion School in Broad Street. On John Houghton's list... it was at 285/286 so this must have been the shop... and a few doors up from there we would go above another shop for the lessons.

Le Longlands the furniture shop was further up the street.

Georgie Garrett

I worked for Watsons(Broad Street)Ltd in the 1950s, The showroom was at 193/194. To the left of the building there was a wide open bombed site used as a car park, it belonged to the 'Gas Board' as it was then, to the right was the Jaguar dealers PJ Evans then the Hanger Motor Co. Ford main dealers. I think that at that time there were 13 motor dealers in Broad Street.
Almost opposite there was a 'Tudor Cafe' which later became a Greek Restaurant. E.

Broad St

My memories of the early sixties are not that good, but Broad street as I remember it was like this.

The first thing you saw as you entered Broad St from the city end was The Hall of Memory and the Colonnade to the left opposite that was The Registry Office with Boulton Watt and Murdoch stood outside.

The first shop in Broad St on the left on the corner of Bridge St was an all night café bar by the name of the Rendezvous, Further up on the same side was the coin shop that has been previously mentioned. Still further up was the tunnel entrance to the Rum Runner night club. A little further was Gas street where the Opposite Lock night club was located.

Almost opposite on the other side of Broad St was another all night café called the Tow Rope this was on the corner of I think King Edwards Place or it might have been King Alfreds Place

As I never used to get past the Rum Runner I am unable to tell you more.

Cheers

Pmc1947

The BBC had a studio near one of those Motor Dealers. I remember standing outside and collecting autographs in the 50s.

Broad Street

I thought it was the ATV Studio with a rear entrance in Bridge Street.

Cheers,

pmc1947

Before and immediately after WW2, the BBC Studios (and Midland Region Headquarters) were at 282 Broad Street, about half-way beween Gas Street and Bridge Street. At that time of course there was only the wireless, and moreorless no telly.
I once went with a few lads from school on an educational visit round the studios - in 1949 or 1950 - but I never at in a recording there.
But in 1947 a friend of the family in London took me to a live broadcast of the Carroll Levis Show, round the back of Charing Cross Station. That was a big deal for me in those days!
Peter

I remember Lee Longlands Furniture Store on Broad Street and further
up Kunzles had a large shop with double windows and great decorations at Christmas and Easter of Santa Claus and Easter Eggs-huge choclate ones which were sent to childrens orphanges.
Peter, Carroll Levis was born in Vancouver and I remember his TV show
Carroll Levis Discoveries in the late l950's. I found an item on the Internet
when checking him out that he was a boy friend of Violet Pretty at some time.

Confectioners on Broad Street

My Great grandmother's family had a Bakery or Pastries shop on Broad street at number 244, the family's name was Jerrett. I was wondering if anyone has any current information about this address??

My memories of the early sixties are not that good, but Broad street as I remember it was like this.

The first thing you saw as you entered Broad St from the city end was The Hall of Memory and the Colonnade to the left opposite that was The Registry Office with Boulton Watt and Murdoch stood outside.

The first shop in Broad St on the left on the corner of Bridge St was an all night café bar by the name of the Rendezvous, Further up on the same side was the coin shop that has been previously mentioned. Still further up was the tunnel entrance to the Rum Runner night club. A little further was Gas street where the Opposite Lock night club was located.

Almost opposite on the other side of Broad St was another all night café called the Tow Rope this was on the corner of I think King Edwards Place or it might have been King Alfreds Place

As I never used to get past the Rum Runner I am unable to tell you more.

Cheers

Pmc1947

Hiya PMC!

The Rendezvous was where me and me mates would go after school most afternoons - I went to George Dixon Grammar School and I'd hop off the No 7 bus in Broad Street on my way home to Witton. It was a great place! First time I ever had real Italian coffee was there, and I met the first love of my life there too! I can also (vaguely) recall a guy who played guitar from time to time, but he was a lot older than us and not very approachable. The Tow Rope I also remember, but it had a bit of a bad reputation (don't know why) so we never went there.

Does anyone remember the statue of Boulton, Watt and Murdoch outside the Register Office in Broad Street? Does anyone remember when it got painted green..............?

Big Gee

Nice memories Big Gee I remember the statue being green but I didn't know it was painted. I just thought it was that colour. It's very bright now though!

Er...the statue being bronze it developed a greenish patina over the years. But...er...in about 1965 some...er...people during Birmingham University's Rag Week decided that it...er...wasn't quite green enough, so...er...helped it a bit. Er...wasn't anywhere near Broad Steet myself.

Big Gee

Last edited by a moderator:
Back