• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street

Thanks, Been trying to figure out where it was for years, I pictured it as being around about opposite Sheepcote St.

col h, The shop you were talking about was Thos Faulkes furriers the shop was located on Islington Row then moved to Calthorp Road . Due you remember that tiger in the window had a huge snake wrapped around a front leg and over his back
as you say thay had everything in the windows . I've only just noticed this post . I lived in William St off Islington Row

Last edited:
I think it must be the building in the background which would be on the corner of Islington Row and Broad Street. Five Ways Calthorpe Road.JPG

The vehicle number looks as if it might be B267, but not sufficient definition to be certain. Perhaps one of the bus fans can add to this.

Maurice :cool:

The vehicle number looks as if it might be B267, but not sufficient definition to be certain. Perhaps one of the bus fans can add to this.

Maurice :cool:
It is in fact O 267.
One of six (O 264 - O 269) Milnes-Daimler buses entering service in April 1904. They were problematic and had been disposed of by 1908 being now with the new B&MMO since 1905. Their route was New Street to Bearwood (Bearwood Hotel). I think the photo shows a special charter rather than a service bus,

There are quite a few on the BHF and Viv found two of them .... :)
Only the two ladies on the top deck seem interested in the length of that ladder! Surely it would bend in the middle? Viv.
index.php
I think this was taken in New Street outside King Edwards school. I have no date for this, but it must be an early bus with the name Birmingham Motor Express Co. Ltd written on the side of the bus. Also the postcard is labelled "New Motor Bus". It might even be the same bus as in post #11. The front end of the bus seems to be attracting some attention.Viv.
index.php

There was six of these particular buses, as I mentioned before, so a one in six chance I guess. ;) I think curiosity was the reason for the attention, they were new on the streets, but they were troublesome it seems.

My parents and I were overwhelmed by it when my cousin gave it to us yesterday. I had to research it and found the forum and am delighted to share it. If anyone has any information to add re: period (we believed it to be 1920s but I'm beginning to think that's way out from what I'm learning!) etc. I would be most grateful. In the meantime - enjoy!

If it was a Birmingham Express bus then it would be before 1905 as that was when the Midland Red was formed to amalgamate all the BET bus services in the Birmingham area.

I think it must be the building in the background which would be on the corner of Islington Row and Broad Street. View attachment 141322
Yes that is the Five Ways Inn but it is on the corner of Ladywood Road and Broad Street not Islington Row. Spent a few Friday lunchtimes in there in late 1960s when I was working at Five Ways just before the area was demolished to build the big roundabout.

col h, The shop you were talking about was Thos Faulkes furriers the shop was located on Islington Row then moved to Calthorp Road . Due you remember that tiger in the window had a huge snake wrapped around a front leg and over his back
as you say thay had everything in the windows . I've only just noticed this post . I lived in William St off Islington Row

WOW! Just gone back 60 years. I had completely forgotten about Faulkes and that tiger,we spent ages staring at it. Am I right in thinking that nearby there was great toy shop?
Thanks for the fantastic memory jog.:grinning::grinning:

WOW! Just gone back 60 years. I had completely forgotten about Faulkes and that tiger,we spent ages staring at it. Am I right in thinking that nearby there was great toy shop?
Thanks for the fantastic memory jog.:grinning::grinning:

Hello NoddKD that would be Astleys I think general toy shop and electric train stockist on one side. On the other Astleys costume hire , you could hire almost any costume there

The closure of Astley’s costumer and toy shop in 1966. Viv.

Attachments

• 30E5DE5F-BF0A-4FB9-91B3-5C13E550AC6D.jpeg
    30E5DE5F-BF0A-4FB9-91B3-5C13E550AC6D.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 906810B5-170A-41C1-8F50-AAD0C126974B.jpeg
    906810B5-170A-41C1-8F50-AAD0C126974B.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 18
I see from Ellbrown’s recent posts #27 and #28 on this thread that the Metro works have now extended along Broad Street https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/metro-progress-2020.51075/page-2

Was there any archaeological survey along Broad Street before work started ? It was an old pathway in the 1700s and I wondered if it was too insignificant to warrant a survey. Viv.

Any work of this nature would require an archaeological survey and there would probably be an archaeologist present holding a watching brief. There would also probably have been a 'desk survey' before hand looking at all the available documentary evidence.

I see from Ellbrown’s recent posts #27 and #28 on this thread that the Metro works have now extended along Broad Street https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/metro-progress-2020.51075/page-2

Was there any archaeological survey along Broad Street before work started ? It was an old pathway in the 1700s and I wondered if it was too insignificant to warrant a survey. Viv.

Not sure how deep they are digging or if they will be laying the sleepers directly onto the muddy surface. They usually divert underground pipes first.

My guess would be 1950 and no more than 2 years either side of that date.
I believe the photo (post 797) is on BHF but it is not in this thread as far as I can see, It is most likely Old Street pics or Then and Now. From memory we discusses some of the cars and shops in the photo.
Trawling back to 2012 in this thread shows many older vehicles from past times, many I guess which some of us owned or drove.

Back