• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street

Hello James, I know this response is 9 years following your own postings and due to my only finding this site now, however and while I regretfully don't have any pictures of the shop I also have terrifically fond memories of the place and all of the wonderful people (without exception) employed there. I worked there for nearly 3 years in the 1970's and enjoyed every minute. Wishing you well, David

I remember the HM Stationery shop in Broad Street, I worked in the Tax Department of an Accountants in the 70's and I used to go to the shop to buy the latest info for the new tax year.

I remember the HM Stationery shop in Broad Street, I worked in the Tax Department of an Accountants in the 70's and I used to go to the shop to buy the latest info for the new tax year.

I lived in William St , just off Broad St , if the stationery shop was in the same position, it was originally The Everyman Stationery Co . This was facing The Church of The Messiah , to the right of that was Astleys then Philip Fyne motors cnr of Broad St/Gas St, to the left of the stationery shop was a coin/medal shop later to be a bookies then the entrance to what was later to become The Rum Runner other side of the entrance was Bentley's who used to make and supply wheelchairs . Next to that was the entrance to the car park behind the BBC studios , George Clay music shop/ next to that BBC social club there were two other shop fronts of which I'm unsure about one of which became an antique shop later then The Rendezvous Cafe cnr Bridge St Astleys closed the above shop and just traded through it's other shop further up Broad St . All the above was between 1955-69 I hope you find this informative

Hi
I'm researching Broad Street history and I'm interested to find out about particular buildings.

The current building is where the Walkabout pub chain is based. My husband said that nearby there was a coin shop and other desolated shops before it was all redisigned as it stands now.

Does anyone know any information where I can find this out please.

Anything helps.

Kind regards Rianne

Hi rianne1974 I've just noticed this post if you're still interested see my post 74 hope it's of benefit

Many thanks Alan, very helpful. The two threads are now merged, so there may be posts previously unseen by members. Viv.

II was curious about one of the photos (the one showing the Crown Inn) which is in the Prince of Wales theatre thread. I was pleased to know that the pub still is there - remarkably escaped demolition. The photo shown a nice sunny day at 8.50 am.
The date is given as 1934 but the bus looks more post 1935 and has CITY as destination. This suggests a Portland Road to Perry Common service only going as far as the city loop.
1572791059776.png

II was curious about one of the photos (the one showing the Crown Inn) which is in the Prince of Wales theatre thread. I was pleased to know that the pub still is there - remarkably escaped demolition. The photo shown a nice sunny day at 8.50 am.
The date is given as 1934 but the bus looks more post 1935 and has CITY as destination. This suggests a Portland Road to Perry Common service only going as far as the city loop.
View attachment 138797

Good photograph people can also see where the Tow Rope cafe was going to be situated may years later . Now the lampost and bus stop center picture were removed , Where I worked between 1969-71 there was a man that I worked with who was my unsung hero , after his demob from the army he worked on the buses . I found out sometime later that the bus stop was later replaced nearer to this end of the picture due to my work colleague . I was told this by a man from the post office who used to be the driver with my workmate , who used to like a drink and the driver would stop . After the stop in the picture was removed , the stop prior would have been at Bush House the next stop then the Hall of Memory then the replacement was installed . I can't guarantee the tale was true but that was what I was told

Early in the morning 10th July 2005

It must have been early for it to be that quiet.

I often go up early on a Sunday morning and park in and around Gas Street to wander round taking photographs and it is rare to see Broad Street so quiet.

It is almost like the city has been abandoned!

Cup final day, we were standing in the showroom doorway at Watsons Cars, the road was empty of vehicles but a single car came up the middle of the road and hit the keep left signs near Sheepcote Street dead centre, heaven knows where his interest was. :)

It must have been early for it to be that quiet.

I often go up early on a Sunday morning and park in and around Gas Street to wander round taking photographs and it is rare to see Broad Street so quiet.

It is almost like the city has been abandoned!
0613 Sunday,, Bomb alert the night before, Street just opened

Broad Street looked like this last week from the Secret Garden. Getting ready for the next Metro extension towards Hagley Road. There are hoardings in the road outside of Cineworld.

Same view in January 2018

Also September 2013 long before the Metro works.

My god what an abortion they have made of a perfectly good thoroughfare , used to walk upu and down there everyday as a kid , alas never again all gone in the mist of time

Brindleyplace on the right built in the 1990s.

Further up the Five Ways leisure complex home of the Cineworld cinema.

Lots of hotels and bars down here.

By 2021 the Westside Metro extension is expected to be finished with trams running down there beyond Centenary Square.

This doesn't show much but was on the new hoardings on Broad Street.

Will be a tram stop close to Brindleyplace, with the next one beyond the tunnel on the Hagley Road near Morrisons.

My god what an abortion they have made of a perfectly good thoroughfare , used to walk upu and down there everyday as a kid , alas never again all gone in the mist of time

I cant see the problem.

Yes there is disruption while they lay the tram tracks, but when that is finished it will be fine. And the tram taking people up and down Broad St will be a huge advantage.

I can remember (not that long ago) when Broad St was a main road in to an out of the city for cars and other vehicles and it was often rammed with traffic and not very pleasant.

With the council having to reduce traffic in the city centre due to pollution laws it makes sense to try to reduce or remove traffic from Broad St and have it for mainly trams (and buses and taxis) and encourage cars to use the "outer" Ring Road.

We no longer want or need traffic pouring in to the city centre.

Think how many roads in the city centre USED to have cars and other vehicles driving down them, causing jams, pollution etc.

Roads pedestrianized (or limited to mainly trams) now include New St, Paradise St, Corporation St, High St, Bull St, Stephenson St, Pinfold St, Union St, Cherry St etc.

And think how much more pleasant it is to walk round the city centre.

I go up to Birmingham a lot taking photos and on a Saturday New St is PACKED with people strolling up and down it like a French Boulevard. So much better than when it used to be rammed with cars, buses and lorries.

City centres HAVE to change and adapt or they die.

A lot of disruption over the years to get the full tram system in place. But I agree, it’ll be worth it. Who wants a city centre clogged up with traffic, pollution and irate drivers? I could never remember what buses to catch to go along Broad Street, now I imagine it will be much easier with the tram. Viv

I saw a 24 bus going into town turn into Tennant Street from Five Ways. I did not even know that some buses had a different route into town from their route out with the diversions away from Broad Street

But, David, did they not go in and come out on different routes before the diversions?

I cant see the problem.

Yes there is disruption while they lay the tram tracks, but when that is finished it will be fine. And the tram taking people up and down Broad St will be a huge advantage.

I can remember (not that long ago) when Broad St was a main road in to an out of the city for cars and other vehicles and it was often rammed with traffic and not very pleasant.

With the council having to reduce traffic in the city centre due to pollution laws it makes sense to try to reduce or remove traffic from Broad St and have it for mainly trams (and buses and taxis) and encourage cars to use the "outer" Ring Road.

We no longer want or need traffic pouring in to the city centre.

Think how many roads in the city centre USED to have cars and other vehicles driving down them, causing jams, pollution etc.

Roads pedestrianized (or limited to mainly trams) now include New St, Paradise St, Corporation St, High St, Bull St, Stephenson St, Pinfold St, Union St, Cherry St etc.

And think how much more pleasant it is to walk round the city centre.

I go up to Birmingham a lot taking photos and on a Saturday New St is PACKED with people strolling up and down it like a French Boulevard. So much better than when it used to be rammed with cars, buses and lorries.

City centres HAVE to change and adapt or they die.
I'm sorry for the loss of many things in Birmingham but as you say we all have to accept change a town center needs to adapt to our modern lift style, one problem for all is the amount of cars in our lives.
The loss of front gardens given over to parking spots outside of homes something I and others have made comments on, my farther no longer wants to drive of a Tuesday to his brothers for lunch along with his sister the reason traffic.
I remember being able to drive into the city center on a Saturday night and find a parking space in New St just up from Dayvilles Ice Cream shop a feat I am sure today would be hard indeed.
Pedestrian only streets and thorough fare's are a fact of life, we can no longer have our city's full of cars and trucks along with people.

Now I used to have to go to Broad Street and pick up the breakfast and the lunch order for the guys at work maybe 40 or so people, they would make me walk in the snow and rain up past the Opposite Lock club turn right onto Broad St to the sandwich shop, the tester would pick me up if it was raining only because the guys did not won't their sarnie's wet but how many 17 year olds got chauffer driven in a Rolls Royce with a box full of bacon buttiey's and toast.

Back