• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Broad Street

img153.jpgView attachment 54452

img152.jpg
This arch was erected on Broad Street in 1909 for the purpose of a royal visit and the view is towards The Crown and The Prince Of Wales Theatre from outside The Waterworks Offices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a good aerial view of Broad Street, no later than the mid 60's i would imagine. Before they gave it over to the developers.

Phil

Attachments

• City Aerial View  Broad St Area.jpg
    City Aerial View Broad St Area.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
A few more pictures of Broad Street taken down the years, these photos show how little it had changed until the recent makeover. I know which version I preferred.

Phil

CityBroadSt2.jpg
CityBroadSt1947.jpg

CityBroadStTransportHouse1954.jpg
CityBroadSt1.jpg

CityTheOldCrownInnBroadSt.jpg

Nice photos Phil If photo 1 is the corner of Sheepcote St i think that building is still there. i remember there ws a little bus garage behind it back in the early 60s i got nicked for obstruction at 3 o clock on a Sunday morning how was i to know the buses couldn,t get out i was blocking the doorway. Dek

Hello Aiden, it is all so different now.
Did you know that in 1948 there was a cafe on the corner called The Broadway Cafe, but it was known by the former name of The Towrope.

Looking at Stitchers photo would i be right in saying there was a passage down the side of the church if so the white building just before it was Gittins they were Plumbers Merchants.Dek

I still think Broad St has a character all it's own and (still) so rich in History. I am not sure what the Church was called but it must have been built right over the Canal

img337.jpgIt was The Church Of The Messiah, and you are right it was over the canal.

Aidan

As you can see from this photo of the canal basin The Church of the Messiah was just behind the bridge.

Phil

CityGasStBasin2.jpg

Hello Phil, now there is a picture I have not seen before. Very nice too.

Phil about a month ago my work sent me to the I.C.C. that bridge is still there. What year would you say the photo was taken. Dek

cracking pic phil..new to me too...dek just a guess but maybe the 60s but its not easy to tell...

lyn

I have always thought that the building with the clock-tower is particularly beautiful, especially in that location on the corner of King Edward Place - Anyone know what it was originally please (ie before Reflex....)

In the mid 1980s I took a picture of the area (see below), and you can see behind this pub (on the far right) was a brewery. The building on the left is the Brasshouse (before it was done up of course).

I understand the pub and brewery were linked.

The pub was the Crown Inn and you can read more about it here

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26143

I have posted loads of pictures of the Broad St area from the mid 1980s here (they show the building of the convention centre, national indoor arena, brindley place etc)

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29123

cracking pic phil..new to me too...dek just a guess but maybe the 60s but its not easy to tell...

lyn

Dek,

I wouldn't be able to put an exact date to the photo, it was obviouslly an open day something to do with the canal. It would have been before 1967-68 being the time I used the Rum Runner & the Tow Rope Cafe because the church I'm sure was still there then.

This second very evocative photo taken in 1952 shows the church steeple taken from the other side of the bridge. I've always liked this photo and wondered about the old tramp and hoped that the photographer gave the old gentleman of the road a few bob for sitting for him.

Phil

CityGasStBasin1952.jpg

Eric your painting looks like Gas St Basin the church was on the other side of the road by the Brasshouse Basin. Dek Sorry Eric i posted in haste i does look like the same spot.

Last edited:
img671.jpg
This dinosaur, made locally was being was being transported to the the Centenary celebrations and was passing The Cambridge Inn in Cambridge Street at chucking out time.

This was not the original post but it fills a gap because I can not find the picture that was on this post.

Back