• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brittle Street'', city

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
H I. guys
Brittle street city
ovisius by the first years of the nineteenth century, Brittle street went between. Livery street and snow hill,
it is named after a local family and in1776 a lease. For land in snow hill was made. Between Isaac and Nathanial
Whitehead Benjamin and Benjamin brettel
the street was cleared. For the building of Snow hill station. In. 1852
I thought I would submit this info for our train buffing members on our forum
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,m

H I. guys
Brittle street city
ovisius by the first years of the nineteenth century, Brittle street went between. Livery street and snow hill,
it is named after a local family and in1776 a lease. For land in snow hill was made. Between Isaac and Nathanial

Correct Astonian, well spotted.

Brittle Street ran at right angles to Livery Street across to Snow Hill and is shown in a "Plan of the Station Ground Birmingham" surveyed and drawn by I K Brunel in 1852 and which is part of the Bristol Special Collection at the SS Great Britain Archive.

Brittle_Street.jpg

To the right is Monmouth Street, later Colmore Row, and one of the first names given to the new "Birmingham Station".

Beyond Monmouth Street was an open cutting between Bull Street and the back of the Bluecoat School which was later bridged by girders to support the Great Western Arcade above.

https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10449/Snow_Hill_1854_28229.pdf

H I. guys
Brittle street city
Just discovered about Brittle Street in Birmingham this was my maiden name so very interested in finding out more, wondered if there is any information on the family it was named after or why it was given their name.
Thanks.

There are a number of people named Brittle in the early 19th century, including a publican and a pearl button maker, but apparently Brittles were a raw material (see cutting from Aris's Birmingham Gazette of 28 nov,1803) and I think the most likely origin was that originally there was an establishment there which dealt in these things

Aris Birm Gaz. 28.11.1803.jpg

There are a number of people named Brittle in the early 19th century, including a publican and a pearl button maker, but apparently Brittles were a raw material (see cutting from Aris's Birmingham Gazette of 28 nov,1803) and I think the most likely origin was that originally there was an establishment there which dealt in these things

View attachment 143734
Thank you for this information. Found different spellings when doing family history, there is no s in my name and on my great grandfathers wedding certificate his name is spelt Brettle though on census it is the correct spelling Brittle. He just signed it with a X so I guess he was illiterate and therefore would not have known his name was incorrectly spelt . My nickname at school was break easy (due to the meaning of my name) my reply was always Brittle by name but not by nature. Thanks

Interesting reference to a Timber yard, which was on the canal. For those who walk the Birmingham Canal at Gas Street Basin and go up the slope to the entrance from Gas Street, this incline is actually a side bridge over the entrance to a basin that was used by the Birmingham Timber Co.

Although this is a distance from the railway in Snow Hill and the subject of railways. The original gas works in Gas Street did have lengths of narrow gauge track.

When I lived in Bath Street the canal was just down the street, Shadwell Street and as a child was never allowed to go there because it was too dangerous as it was very accessible, my older brother was playing along side the water and was pushed in by a very excitable dog, he almost drowned. We used to watch the barges from a safe distance go up and down carrying cargoes of coal, wood etc. Your reference to a timber yard on the canal made me remember watching the barges.

Back