• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brittle family of Kings Heath

I used to know someone with that surname years ago, I can't quite remember what part of Brum he lived.
It's quite an unusual surname I've not come across since then.

The Brittles appear to have lived in Grove Road for at least a 100 years - 1871 census to 1965 ER, D(oris) at 22 as mentioned and William (her brother) at 18.

Did have a quick look to see if the Williams continued (either way) beyond 6 but g grandfather's father appears to be Joseph and I can't see any children for William no. 6.

Always thought it was charming that the same first names were carried through the generations. That is until I started our family tree and discovered how confusing it can make family searches ! Now our family members are starting to add predecessors names as middle names for newborns. Viv.

True, repeated names can be a bane.

I was convinced that I must have 4 generations of ancestors named after each other but a quick check and the most I have in a direct line is just 3.

I knew a Brian Brittle, back in the 50s. He was a couple of years older than me and went to Grendon Rd school at one time, that would suggest that he lived in the Warstock area.

There are Horace & Dorothy Brittle listed on Cotford Road (I think that's the right area) in the 1950s. Horace was a younger brother of the youngest William in the photo and he had a son Brian (b1938).

Back